Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless + hub + router problem

Options
  • 14-12-2002 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Before I post in the Wireless forum I'll try here (seems to be a lot of talk about mobile phones on the Wireless forum...)

Here is the hardware :
    D-Link DWL900AP access point
    U.S.Robotics router + 4 port hub
    D-Link 24 port ethernet hub

I am able to get online via my ethernet'd PCs and Macs as well as via 802.11b Mac and PC laptops.

The router has a DHCP server built in and works really well with the ISDN T/A I'm using.

here is the problem :
    The Wireless Access Point will only work (i.e. give an IP address or indeed even be 'seen' on the network by the administrative software for the AP) if it is connected to one of the 4 ports on the Router. (I have the Hub connected to one of the ports on the Router).
    If I connect the AP to the 24-port hub it does not appear on the network.

I am puzzled more than anything else by this and would really like to find out what it is I'm doing wrong here.

Any pointers or suggestions ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What speed is the router 10, 100 or 10/100? same for the 24 port hub?

Some AP's only have a 10 ethernet interface...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vbnets

Yes - speed might need to be set manually.
    Also you may need a crossover cable.
    Also you may need to set AP to half duplex if it is an old hub.
    There are a choice of settings on that AP for ethernet.
    The D-Link hubs and switches are a pain the arse - they normally only have one port which can take upstream - you may need to use this one - and on some DLink units select it manually.

peter@vbnets.com

Advertisement