Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you rate your skillz with Windows?

Options
  • 15-12-2002 3:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Go on, be honest then.

adam

What kind of Windows user are you? 63 votes

The Master. All seeing, all knowing. Ask me something. Anything.
    0% 0 votes
    Power User, Dude. Always fiddling and tweaking. I only ask The Master.
    23% 15 votes
    Average Joe. I tries me best but I'm only aright, right?
    66% 42 votes
    Below Average Jane. I break it regularly. Reboot. Reinstall.
    9% 6 votes
    Total Luser. It never works. Sysops hate me. I'm too stupid to care.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

on a scale of 1-10

i'd honestly say a 6, i learn new tricks everyday,

but i know there is a **** load more of stuff to be learnt

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

'Bout a 7 or 8 I'd say. Very comfortable fiddling round etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Depends on the error message really :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

I've fixed every Windows problem I've ever encountered even without re-installing ;)

So I've ticked the top one! I'm usually modest but hey it's Sunday, modesty has no place on a Sunday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Yurmasyurda
    I've fixed every Windows problem I've ever encountered even without re-installing ;)

I'd like you to work for me, see how long you can say that :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by ando
    I'd like you to work for me, see how long you can say that :p

You'd be surprised, I also get great enjoyment from it too, always loved solving problems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

about 8

there are a few things that i havent touched, but i solve a lot of problems in my time!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Option four is a curious one. I doubt a below-average user could reboot, let alone reinstall WIndows :D And if a complete gimp is able to break windows consistently, it doesn't say much about the luser-friendliness of the OS, eh? Meself, i'd say a 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Depends on the error message really :D

kdjac

exactly,

although i have been able to solve every single windows problem i've encountered

ex. would be the dde shares and stuff like that , i know what they are and what they do , but if someone goes wrong in that area cisco heads straight for the f1 key

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i know the windows 98 install process so well i can nearly install it with the monitor turned off...
    not sure if that's a good or bad thing:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That would be a bad thing tman. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it's mainly because i worked in a computer shop for the summer a couple of years back...
    i do seem to have to reinstall 98 on my old piece of crap every month tho

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd be fairly good (I used to know 9x and NT inside out but I'm probably a little behind on 2000 and XP (haven't managed a proper network on either, don't know enough about Exahcnge, SQL server etc))

Went for option 2 then - pointless overestimating myself when I'm not currently job-hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I'd be pretty much the same as Yurma.

I hate formatting. It's a last resort.
    Finding solutions is a good laugh, except every now and then when you can't find *anything* about a problem.

well I guess that's why God invented Devores and Clouds so htey oculd host Boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Installed MS based networks in schools and colleges for 3 years (security for these types of systems has to be tighter than any other in existence, IMO- damn kiddy h4xx0rs). Comfortable writing my own adm files, designing and implementing RPL based remote-loader workstations, Citrix server farms, NT based routers, AD-enabled Exchange etc.

Worked for a year as a database designer working primarily with SQL server and Infosys Mapper so I'm pretty reasonable on the DB stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Somewhere slightly above option 2. I just couldn't be bothered woith being a Windows Master.
    I hate formatting. It's a last resort.

For me it's a case of booting in Linux, rm'ing all of Windows from the partition and extracting my bzip2'ed backup with all drivers pre-installed and configured (~500Mb) into the partition ;)

Needless to say it's a FAT32 Partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Like KdjaC, depends on the error message ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

How do you rate your skillz with Windows?

Unfortunately quite good really.

That is the price you pay for taking a role as a Tech support monkey and then programmer on the Windows platform, I suppose.

Still maybe some company in shinging armour will whisk me away to the land of shining (full time) Linux development and bofhdom.

*sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

[scarcasim] oh the bain that is your life[/scarcasim]

• Advertisement
Advertisement