Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO LIMITS wrecking my head!

Options
  • 15-12-2002 1:57pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive had no limits since it first started,i know its not available now but esat cannot get rid of us that signed up early on.
    Here lies the problem, For months now my NL connection is totally useless.
    9 times out of 10 i cant even connect at all and when i try metered access through eircom i get connected within 20 seconds with much faster and reliable speed.
    Could esat be possibly trying to get rid of us early subscribers?
    Im paying 25 euros a month for so-called unlimited access after 6pm.
    Its getting to the stage where im wondering whether its worth it or not.
    Anyone use Eircom all the time? If so roughly what would i pay for on average 3 to 4 hrs a night access?
    Im really pissed off about it and have given NL months to improve but it seems to be getting worse.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well apart from web pages not working for a few hrs a day over the past 3 days nolimits has been great for me
    i got it working with isdn about a month ago i get 60-70 pings in games and download at 7.3 kbs
    im very happy with it
    4 hrs a night with eircom will cost u 90 euro a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i had some problems connecting last night. i kept getting a dead connection but its working fine now, and it usually does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

They were down basically for 12 hours or so last night, still not up properly that I can see, unless there's another reason why I'm connecting at 32k every single time as opposed to 48-50k.

Where they really shoot themselves in the foot is their phone/voicemail/yoke system, where you will sit there for 5 minutes listening to the same uninterruptible ads then get hung up, only to go through the process again, and give up then try other options.

Then when you do get through, you get someone "dealing with you" like this...

me: Hi, uhh... I was connected to nolimits last night when it went down, for seemingly around 12 hours. But I still amn't getting really acceptable connection speeds, what's going on?
    guy: Well, we had a big problem with it last night, yes. We've got an engineer looking at it now so it's lucky anyone can connect...
    me: Do you have any idea what's actually wrong, then?
    guy: Not really, no.
    me: ...
    Ahh... okay. Thanks. *click*

I left them a voicemail complaining about this a while ago, and of course got no response :)

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I had terrible problems connecting last week, sometimes unable to establish a connection, other times dead connections but now, I've moved my PC back home down the country for Christmas, and I'm back in the land of 33.6 on an eircom dial-up.

Not best pleased, if it occurs again after New Year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by Dcully
    Ive had no limits since it first started,i know its not available now but esat cannot get rid of us that signed up early on.
    [OFFTOPIC]
    They had no problem kicking me off, and i was on it from Day 1!!
    [/OFFTOPIC]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Why dont you move to NetSmart or UTVip.

Nolimits is rubbish, I used from the start until they sent out the letters.

I changed to IOL GOLD with ISDN and now would never consider 56k especially on nolimts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    Nolimits is rubbish, I used from the start until they sent out the letters.

So did I... and I still do.

And I'd certainly not use the word "rubbish" to define it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Bard
    And I'd certainly not use the word "rubbish" to define it.

Nor would I. I'd probably use the term: "Whayhey! 300+ (or 460+ if you're feeling greedy) potential offpeak hours for less than the cost of 120 with NetSmart even though you're probably dialling up to the same modem bank" to describe it. Not catchy I know but might explain why I don't feel the urge to switch to NetSmart.

And since esat's other dialup services seem to share the same network (hence being down and out at the same time), what would be gained by paying more to have an additional meter put on our net usage? :)

Generally for me, nolimits has been fine, they have problems every few months, but that's how it goes.
    Although they leave a bit to be desired in latency when I'm connected to 'em...

What I was saying was, why go to the trouble of keeping nolimits customers subscribed, and introducing new packages, and at the same time shoot yourself in the foot with more often than not infuriating customer service?
    How hard is it to answer a voicemail and say "sorry, yes, we will modify our phone system so that # will skip the ads before each list of options. Also yes, offering services based outside business hours, that usually only have technical support during business hours is stupid. Thanks for your input!"? :P

zynaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by zynaps
    Also yes, offering services based outside business hours, that usually only have technical support during business hours is stupid. Thanks for your input!"? :P

zynaps

What *are* you talking about? Tech support is open 9am-9pm Mon-Fri and 9-6pm at weekends. What's wrong with that? I'd hardly call it 'business hours' only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've had problems for the last week or so also. Definitely slower and two nights I couldn't connect at all.

Originally posted by eth0_
    What *are* you talking about? Tech support is open 9am-9pm Mon-Fri and 9-6pm at weekends. What's wrong with that? I'd hardly call it 'business hours' only.

If you actually read my post, eth0_, you may have realised I was talking about a previous encounter with esat's voicemail system, a few months ago in this case, since I didn't make that clear.
    Yesterday was the first time I called them on a weekend that I remember, and got "help".

Is anyone else still having problems with 'em? I still can't connect beyond 32000bps...

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by daveirl
    I wouldn't either! It's still the closest thing to unlimited you can have.

i agree, i wish i still had it, but i guess they didn't approve of my useage(programmed to connected and disconnect auto so that i was connected for all off peak hours in the month)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by zynaps
    If you actually read my post, eth0

Oh but I did. Maybe you should re-read what you wrote (with the emphasis on "that usually only have technical support during business hours is stupid"!):

"How hard is it to answer a voicemail and say "sorry, yes, we will modify our phone system so that # will skip the ads before each list of options. Also yes, offering services based outside business hours, that usually only have technical support during business hours is stupid. Thanks for your input!"? :P"

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

i got it working with isdn about a month ago i get 60-70 pings in games and download at 7.3 kbs

I wasn't aware you could now use ISDN to connect.. This must be a new enough thing. Might investigate that myself.

"How hard is it to answer a voicemail and say "sorry, yes, we will modify our phone system so that # will skip the ads before each list of options. Also yes, offering services based outside business hours, that usually only have technical support during business hours is stupid. Thanks for your input!"? :P"

Well I have called their tech support department, simply by way of investigation of the menu, and have noticed that a clear and coherent message is played stating, if you call out of hours, that the office is closed, and that he would be best placed calling between their hours of business, but if you wanted to leave a message you could do so. This only happens if you call the queue ( correct queue I might add ) after office hours.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wouldn't either! It's still the closest thing to unlimited you can have.

Couldn't agree more! Much better than Eircons offering (still trying to find it)! It'll have to do until 2014, when I might be able to upgrade to 256k DSL! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by eth0_
    Oh but I did. Maybe you should re-read what you wrote (with the emphasis on "that usually only have technical support during business hours is stupid"!):

As I said, I was talking about a message I left on their voicemail last time I had a problem with nolimits, a few months ago, when they did not have tech support outside business hours (and I mentioned that in the next post. Cop on.)
    A message to which I received no reply.

zynaps

Advertisement