Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton Anti-Virus Backup

• 15-12-2002 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

At this stage, I've probably downloaded a fair few megs from the LiveUpdate service of my Norton Anti-Virus 5.0 program. I'm heading towards another HD format and rather than having to download *all* of the updated virus definitions again, I was wondering if there was a proper way of backing them up other than copying the main folder? i.e. C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus. Or is copying the main folder the best thing to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd have assumed that the last definition update was the oly one you needed.

(obviously any other updates might have to be downloaded but hardly every AV definition update - are they cumulative?)

Corrections - am I talking outta the wrong end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Well when I had to reinstall wondows I ended up having to redownload about 20mb of various NAV/NIS updates (not fun when you connect at 16.8k) so I'd love to know if there's a way around this too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i thought you only needed 1 intelligent update file:confused:

intelligent update is way handier than live update, you can pause the download if you have a download manager.

At the mo, I'm using NAV 2002 (v8) and it just grabs the latest update when I reinstall.

Looking up support for v5 on the symantec site, it seems to say that you just need to download the latest definitions from here

I'd imagine the trouble you might run into would have to do with whatever you had to go through to extend the sub (does this place some kind of file on the HD so it knows you've paid?). Don't know anything about this TBH

Links that might be of help though: here and here (using these two docs you should be able to update easily and quickly)

I'm still using NAV/NIS 2001 which came with my PC. When I reinstalled windows both reverted to 90 day trials. I emailed Symantec several times with my sub details and they responded that they would be reset 'soon'. Nothing happened for two and a half months. I emailed Symantec again. This time they gave me a code (which expires in two weeks if not used) and I ended up getting another full years sub for both-six months extra than what I'd paid for.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sunbeam
    I emailed Symantec several times with my sub details and they responded that they would be reset 'soon'. Nothing happened for two and a half months. I emailed Symantec again.

Off-topic, but it's lack of customer service like that that sometimes gets people using pirated software (yes, yes, I realise that's not the majority but I 'll give an example). Brother recently got a laptop with XP preinstalled. Doesn't come with an XP CD (just an install CD which you make youself at that). No way of installing windows minus the trial software that came with the machine short of buying another full-version XP CD. He's got a Windows licence, he's no windows CD. What version of Windows has he installed to get rid of the packaged trial software? Pirated copy. Do you blame him? I certainly don't.

Definitely worth checking with symantec to see what will happen before you wipe anything. Like I imply above, if it isn't easy to use something you've paid for, it's the kind of thing that would push me towards abandoning support of a product.

I've I similar problem-no windows cd, only a backup copy on a partition on my hard drive which also contains backup copies of my other preinstalled software (laptop was bought when I was younger and greener and needed one in a hurry). It was a problem with trying to reinstall a program from there that led to me having to completely reinstall windows.

Advertisement