Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much is your insurance ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Age 25
    '98 2.3L Ford Scorpio
    4 years No Claims
    4 Years Full Licence

€1,100 TPFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Ireland is totally ridiculous for car insurance. My friend has started out now with a 92 car, and his insurance is about EUR 4000 (and he lives in the country)!!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

€1250 TP F+T with QuinnDirect on a 1995 1.2L Corsa.

1st year with full license (27 y.o.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I'm 24 and mine's about €3,500 TPFT on a '02 Audi A3 1.6. That said - I only just passed my test and it's my first policy. That's with Quinn Direct.

I think it'll drop to around €2100 next time round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

€840 TPFT on a '93 BMW 525i, 31yo with no NCB in my own name.

It's an absolute disgrace the prices young people are paying, I knew it was bad but I had no idea it was this bad.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I was planning on getting a motorbike, (costing 2,000) until I got a quote for insurance.

The lowest being 7 grand. I wish I was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Insurer: quinn-direct TPF&T
    Car: 2000 Nissan Primera 1.8l
    Price: 1200
    NCB: 3

My Wife is also on my Policy, but I am also on hers, on her Ford Ka we are both insured with Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Just a thought:

Have any of you who have been given ridiculously high quotes thought about just getting a British policy?

Just about every policy here covers you to drive a car belonging to somebody else, so as long as you can get the insurance documents sent to a U.K. address and forwarded, and can register your car in somebody else's name, you'd be covered (at least as far as legal liability is concerned -- Fire & theft would be a different matter of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Well, I heard that you can get british insurance even if you're in Ireland, but when you actually crash or whatever, things can get pretty complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

€1670
    Suzuki Marauder 125
    2 years NCB, prov licence.

Damn Dublin. I'd be paying nothing in any other county :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by dahamsta
    €840 TPFT on a '93 BMW 525i, 31yo with no NCB in my own name.

It's an absolute disgrace the prices young people are paying, I knew it was bad but I had no idea it was this bad.

adam

Thats a good deal for you though (in the cirumstances, the market being what it is, etc!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Quinn Direct
    23yr old male
    Third Party F+T
    1 yrs NCB
    Provisional Licence
    2000 opel corsa 1l

€1900 down from €3300 last yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭garyc

i got quoted 7200euro to insure a aprilla rs125 third party only and only 6700 for a 99 suburu impreza third party fire and theft! madness!

A tip is to buy a car/van and go under commercial insurance. you cant carry passengers but it will save you a few grand.

Originally posted by garyc
    i got quoted 7200euro to insure a aprilla rs125 third party only and only 6700 for a 99 suburu impreza third party fire and theft! madness!
    That's one thing I find funny. Provisional bike drivers are absolutely raped for Third Party insurance, when the liklihood of causing that kind of damage is minimal.

The RS125 is a fast bike, so deserves its group placing, but chances are the rider will only kill themselves in any collision. Short of hitting a pedestrian (anyone got stats for Bike -v- Ped collisions?) it would be difficult to cause €7200 worth of damage to someone else's vehicle. Certainly across all rs125 drivers, the average cost of 3rd party insurance for provisional drivers can't even be approaching that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Hibernian
    27 y.o. male
    Full licence with 8 years, 3 years NCB in my own name
    1.3 Corolla
    €504 TPFT

Was thinking of getting a larger car recently but with my insurance this price i'm very happy so will prob hang onto the car a bit longer! I know exactly how the younger people feel, i payed huge amounts a few years back too, don't think i'd give it to them if i had my time back. Dead money.

Duke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd like to have a car/bike and could afford to buy/insure/run one but I don't plan on doing it any time soon. The idea of paying €40 - €60 per week to an insurance company is not one I'm going to subscribe to any time soon. (Three years full car licence. No NCB.)

Hopefully when the PIAB goes into full operation for motor claims the level of payout will be more tightly regulated along with a big reduction in the amount of money paid to solicitors (30%+ of every premium). The only caveat is that the courts will need to place a very high level of bias towards the PIAB to prevent every case being appealed by ambulance chasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

27 y.o. male
    full license
    1 year NCB
    1.3 litre Hyundai Accent
    Hibernian quoted €845 (if I do Ignition, did it last week!) - next cheapest quote was from Axa & Alliance – in the range of 1700s.

€845 is high enough but some consolation considering what I paid last year - 2400 yoyos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

I think your location also is being loaded being in Louth the highest insurance in ireland is this going to be another loophole insurance companies can ride us on.

anyone else from louth here??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Originally posted by seamus
    That's one thing I find funny. Provisional bike drivers are absolutely raped for Third Party insurance, when the liklihood of causing that kind of damage is minimal.

Actually bike insurance is so high because of the huge cost of claims for pillion riders who are involved in accidents on bikes ridden by provisional license holders.
    They're not even allowed by law to have pillions on the bikes, but EU law compels insurance companies to pay out for pillion claims either way. >:|

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

Originally posted by ando
    I've heard of a 22 year old chap paying just over €8000 for a 98 1.2 punto ... ouch :eek: (he crashed another car when he was 17)

What a fecked up country we live in - even though he crashed when he was 17, its just a ruddy crash - it happens !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Read an interesting artical in a paper the other day.

mid 20's airline pilot or co-pilot, trusted with the lives of unknown numbers when u take into account what can happen if they crash.

its costing him over €5k a year to insure his audi!!!

trusted to fly but not to drive!

Originally posted by spockety
    Actually bike insurance is so high because of the huge cost of claims for pillion riders who are involved in accidents on bikes ridden by provisional license holders.
    They're not even allowed by law to have pillions on the bikes, but EU law compels insurance companies to pay out for pillion claims either way. >:|

J.
    Really? That sounds a bit stupid, since Hibernian, for example, infer on the insurance cert that pillions are covered.

I'd happily waiver having a pillion passenger insured if it meant cheaper insurance, but I don't think Irish law allows this. Irish law makes insurers pay out, once someone is insured, regardless of how the crash occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

mid 20's airline pilot or co-pilot, trusted with the lives of unknown numbers when u take into account what can happen if they crash.

Have a friend who is also a pilot - the insurance companies give the reson that the pilots are more stressed out/tired than other people so they pose a greater risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

hello all
    i just got a qoute today from EAGLE STAR on a 95 seat cordoba 1.5litre
    With the 25 lessons from a certified driver costing 580 euro insurance is gonna cost me 3001 euro :) without the lessons 5296 euro... :( first time insurance on a provisonal license without insurance anywhere before..

not bad me thinks but let me know if ya can do better with the same conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by MacGyver
    hello all
    i just got a qoute today from EAGLE STAR on a 95 seat cordoba 1.5litre
    With the 25 lessons from a certified driver costing 580 euro insurance is gonna cost me 3001 euro :) without the lessons 5296 euro... :( first time insurance on a provisonal license without insurance anywhere before..

not bad me thinks but let me know if ya can do better with the same conditions

NOT BAD?????? Christ on a bike (maybe you should get one!), have you considered being a named driver for a year or two until you have a licence? If your parents are willing it'll save you a fortune. Clearly you would have to transfere your cars ownership but thats little trouble...

Mike.

not much point since it would cost 2500 as a named driver. so for the 51 euro extra im on my own. i still have more quotes to get but thats not a bad start all things considered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

3581 including the cost of the lessons. have you got the car already? i'd go for a smaller engine size until i had the full licence. having said that i went the same route when i started out, with a 1.5l mazda 323 and paid similar insurance premia. I was so desperate to drive that i didn't really care, but in all honesty that's a criminal amount to give them.

yeah i have the car... i got it for nothing and its in good condition so ive saved money there so im not gonna complain too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by MacGyver
    not much point since it would cost 2500 as a named driver. so for the 51 euro extra im on my own. i still have more quotes to get but thats not a bad start all things considered

I see you know nothing about how to put named drivers on your insurance. You get your parents to insure the car saying nothing about you. They leave it a week and then name you as a driver. That way it wont cost as much.

Thats what I did when I started out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Ya insuring your parent first on your car then insuring yourself, you save big bucks, just did it a few weeks ago, paying 2k on a 1.2 punto on my frist prov with my mother as the main driver, was quoted ungodly amounts untill i did it this way.

Advertisement