Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much is your insurance ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Just got my renewal of e940 on a primera 2.0td, 26yo, full license 4years and 4years ncb. Rang around and best I got was e685 with quinn direct. I hate their guts though as they have screwed me in the past so its making me very angry at the thought of giving them business again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Just got my renewal notice. €740 for TP F&T on a CRX.

Heh, heh. The advantages of being an old fart of 31....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

€1780 fully comp

01 1.6 zetec focus 5 door h/b

22 y/o

full driving licence

2 years NCB

Quinn Direct

More than happy with that myself

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just got my renewal, if I stick with Allianz it costs €746 including tax and broker if I go with AXA it'll be €646 and I'll be on the road to 7 years NCB (4 at mo) all being well.

The car is a Merc 190e 2 ltr.

The AXA quote represents a 50% fall on the current premium.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Just got a quote from Hibernian

23yrs old
    6 years claim free driving
    bmw 318is
    Full licence for 3 yrs.

EUR 1500 fully comp.

Not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Chief---

23yrs old
    bmw 318is
    Full licence for 3 yrs.

EUR 1500 fully comp.

Not bad.
    Can you not get a "special" quote? Or do you have to wait until you graduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

I'm 23

provisional licence

rural address (kildare)

3 yrs in my mas name on a civic

1 yr on my own! this is my second year

1.8 sr primera (in my own name)

tpft with their d.o.c. thing

2100 last year! waitin on this years quote

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Originally posted by Chief---

23yrs old
    bmw 318is
    Full licence for 3 yrs.

EUR 1500 fully comp.

Not bad.

You cant be flashing that badge around just to save a few squid it would be wrong

Just wrong

Neonitrix - In Portlaoise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My last renewal was:

about €1200 (including 15% full no claims bonus protection)

Comprehensive, including usual extra's like business use, windscreen cover, driving other cars

No claims 8 years
    Full License 17 years

Car: late '96 BMW 735iA V8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

We all know you can reduce you quote with Insurance Company A by telling them that Company B have offered you a lower quote.

But what if Company B offered an equal quote, can you chance it and make up some figure to tell Company A, I mean does Company A have any way of knowing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

€720 fully comp (with NCB also insured) with AXA for a Honda Civic, always call back after they quote me and usualy get a drop of €200 or more.
    34, full NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by vector
    We all know you can reduce you quote with Insurance Company A by telling them that Company B have offered you a lower quote.

But what if Company B offered an equal quote, can you chance it and make up some figure to tell Company A, I mean does Company A have any way of knowing.

Of course you should chance it! Who cares if you're found out. Honesty and transparency isn't something they practice so why should you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

my insurance is 16,500 on a 04 nissan skyline r32 gtr,
    first provisional 20/m
    ;)

actually 2,200 on 1.4 focus 04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by stevieg_irl
    my insurance is 16,500 on a 04 nissan skyline r32 gtr,
    first provisional 20/m
    ;)

2004 R32??? I think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

r34 sorry:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 silverx7

'04 r34... haha, ur stung mate!! ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My Insurance is up for renewal early August, so I've been shopping around. I've 1 Year NCB with Quinn Direct in a Opel Corsa 1.2L. Their new premium for me is €1022.

AXA quoted me €1600 :rolleyes: , Britton Insurance were cheaper with quote of €870.

Today, however, I rang Hibernian, and if I sit and pass their Ignition test, my premium would be €720! :o

Has anyone done an Ignition test? If so, how hard/easy is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by unkel
    My last renewal was:

about €1200 (including 15% full no claims bonus protection)

Comprehensive, including usual extra's like business use, windscreen cover, driving other cars

No claims 8 years
    Full License 17 years

Car: late '96 BMW 735iA V8

I'd say you should be looking at about 800-850 when the renewal comes :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Re: Update...

Age. 24
    Car 1.25 Fiesta Zetec (2001)
    NCB 3 years on motorbike, 6 months car (didnt count)
    Licence: Full 6 Months
    Premium: 4,700 (fully comp)
    Claims: none
    Area: Dublin 3
    Company: AXA Direct

2003 Same details...
    1 year NCB.
    AXA - 3,200 Fully Comp
    Hibernian 1,200 (with Ignition which I passed)

2 years NCB
    All quotes are Fully Comp.

Axa Direct 2035.44
    Quinn Direct 1,353.75 (online quote)
    Hibernian 959.69

Originally posted by mike65
    I'd say you should be looking at about 800-850 when the renewal comes :)

Mike.

I doubt it Mike. Quote of just over a grand comprehensive (without the full bonus protection) is pretty good at the moment. Any increase in no claims years or years holding full license or age make no difference either now

The car is rated performance - there's no surprise for a 150MPH motor...

Funny thing is that it's in a lower insurance category than a rather slower E39 523i for some reason :confused:

I do ring around every renewal time. Half the companies / brokers I ring give me no quote because the size of the engine. I'm in my third year now with Eagle Star through Frank Glennon's which has proved to be €200 cheaper than the next cheapest quotes (including Eagle Star Direct)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Originally posted by byte
    Has anyone done an Ignition test? If so, how hard/easy is it?

I did it, for exactly same reasons (from EagleStart’s 1600 to Hibernian’s 853). Ignition is very easy, bit boring (not enough stuff for a whole day’s session), however very useful and highly recommended just improve yourself, never mind the insurance benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

silverx7 '04 r34... haha, ur stung mate!!

very stung!!! wouldn't it be a 350Z me thinks!!!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by positron
    I did it, for exactly same reasons (from EagleStart’s 1600 to Hibernian’s 853). Ignition is very easy, bit boring (not enough stuff for a whole day’s session), however very useful and highly recommended just improve yourself, never mind the insurance benefits.

Ah. I'm gonna do thier Ignition test next Friday in Letterkenny. There is 3 levels of pass and if you pass top level, you save around 50% though I don't think too many get the top level :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Licence: Full 9 years
    NCB: 6 Years
    Car: '04 Audi A3 2.0L TDI Sport

Hibernian(Current insurer) Renewal: €1260 (Reduced excess, legal exp. Stepback NCB, drive other cars)

Allianz Qoute: €1026 (Reduced excess, legal exp. Protected NCB, drive other cars)

EagleStar Qoute: €1176 (Reduced excess, legal exp. Protected NCB, drive other cars)

I rang Hibernian the other day because I noticed on my renewal they had by DOB wrong for the first time ever. Had me turning 30 just outside the remitt of this years renewal. Funny that!! That the age where you really start to see significant drops in quotes is postponed by them by a year due to a clerical error. Rang them up and the girl said it didn't make a differance to the quote. I asked her why the hibernian online quote was 1100 ie nearly 200 cheaper. She said it was because of no administration fees for online insurance quotes/purchases. I asked her how is there any administration involved in my renewal if it goes through automatically if I take no action ie so why was my renewal not the same 1100. Well umm.....I told her another quote I got on the online system gave me NCB protection as opposed to stepback for the same price as their stepback renewal(non online reneal quote). She came back to me and said that they would do protected NCB for same price as my renewal.

Thank God I rang as now I have protected NCB for same price as they originally wanted for stepback. Fine and dandy I thought till I got some other online quotes today. I think I'll be going with allianz unless hibernian knock 200 of my 'new' renewal. Its funny how I will probably get it too. Its amazing that if I hadn't have rang the first time I would be paying nearly 1300 for stepback.....after I rang I had protected NCB for just under 1300...and after I ring again I'll probably have protected NCB for 1050. Why was I not quoted 1050 in the first place. Biggest shower of ripoff con merchants in the country. the lot of them!!! :D:D:D

Originally posted by Calibos
    now I have protected NCB for same price as they originally wanted for stepback

Well done :D

Have fully protected NCB myself which adds on 15% on top of stepback for me, which is a lot of money, but I think it is worth it

I like driving big engined performance saloons and would hate to give that up if I'd ever have a claim...

So far so good (knock on wood) - 17 years full license and not been in an accident yet although I came close a few times, never so far when I was at fault. The last time was when a garda patrol car shot into the main road right in front of me coming from a side street. Full ABS braking with steering left kind of wedged my car exactly between the high curb and the left back of the patrol car just a few millimeters from touching both when stopped

Garda was ever so apologetic, as he should have been since he completely failed to notice me :(

Unkel,

Just wondering if you could give me your opinion on the following:

Is it worth having Fatal accident/Serious Injury benefit @ €25 each for myself and the 2 named drivers. Thats €75 altogether. I know I'd lose the €26000 death benefit but would BUPA Essential Plus(which I have anyway) cover me anway......actually why am I asking you I should do my own 'leg-work'! :) I have no dependants so the death benefit seems like a waste of time unless of course my car finance debt does not die with me and perhaps then the old fogeys (if they are liable as next of kin) could do with the cash to clear the finance etc.

Whats your opinion on Excess amounts. I'm on €125 atm @ +2% of Premium. €300 is +0% and €600 is -3%. Which makes most sense? I never selected a reduced excess. They just seemed to add extra's onto the policy themselves over the years to maintain my level of premium I presume. Figured, sure why not have it, but now I'm wondering if I really need it.

As for the Legal expenses @ €25, I presume while its not needed when claiming against or prosecuting a case against someone else, that if you have to defend against a prosecution or claim then it would come in handy....and its only €25.

Loads of questions there m8 :)

First, if you have no dependants and you haven't jointly bought a house, it doesn't seem necessary to take out a death benefit policy. Afaik any non-secure loans (i.e. personal loans etc, as opposed to a mortgage) don't have to be repayed upon death

Have same medical insurance as yourself but haven't much notion what cover it provides in detail...

Legal expense should be covered by your motor insurance company in case you claim or someone else claims against you. Not sure of the benefits of taking out a legal expense policy for non-motoring issues unfortunately

Now the choice about excess amounts. I'll take it you pay €1050 per annum. This would work out at €21 and €51 cheaper going for excess of €300 and €600 respectively. So if you look at it rationally, you'd break even if you reckon your chance of a claim in a year would be 1 in 8 @ €300** excess and 1 in 9 @ 600 excess :)

** in case of claim, it will cost you €300 - €125 = €175 more. The annual saving is €21 (€1050 - €1050/1.02), so €21/€71 = 1 in 8

If you're confident that the possibility that you will claim in a year is a lot lower than about 1 in 10, you should consider higher excess than €125 imo. Mind this only holds if, should you claim, you'd have access to the excess amounts (overdraft, savings, etc.). Some people know they won't have access to money in case of an emergency so they'd tend to get the lowest excess.

Those people usually also: pay there motor insurance monthly, get quarterly tax discs, don't buy 3 for 2 products because they can only afford 1, always get €10 of petrol because they can't afford to fill up and pay 20% interest on their credit card balance, while they could finance their overspending by paying off their balance every month with a 10% interest overdraft and avail of the interest free period :D

Note to self: should check out excess on own policy and look into increasing it if it is low

Cheers m8! :Grin:

Those were the kind of calculations I was trying to work out myself. ie the extra premium for excess only pays for itself if I have an accident in x number of years. I have never had a major at-fault accident in my 10+ years of driving and I cant envisage having one either. Hit by a drunk Driver in '94 but my excess obviously didn't come into it and the one or two small knocks I inflicted on someone else in my first year of driving were minor, below excess amounts and paid out of my pocket. (reversed out of drive but didn't see parked car across the road, thank god it was a banger!!...total stupidity on my part. The other was a banger 10 year old (then) loan renault '85 while my 'new' polo was in for warranty work. Stiff gearstick on the renault and I thought it was in first but was actually in reverse. Bumped into the car behind and being a naive new driver I pointed out dents to him that I probably hadn't even caused! ) Anyway I do consider myself a safe driver and really can't envisage having an at-fault accident. I think I may up it to 600 as I always have immediate access to that kind of money. Its a risk but I dont' gamble generally. May as well start gambling a little with my insurance!! :grin:

Think I'll strip out the death benefit and legal expenses too.

So assuming Hibernian wont lower my premium any further from the 1209 as it stands now even if I give other lower company quotes I've gotten, if I strip it I'll be paying 1209-100(legal and death) 1109-5%= 1054

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

27 yo
    Male
    98 Fiesta 1.25 Zetex
    Full Licence - 5 years
    1 years no claims [own policy]
    7 years no claims [named on father's policy]
    Axa - €1300.00
    Hoping to dip below the 1K mark this year!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Male 28
    Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec
    7 year full licence
    Full no claims

Allianz Ireland €799.97
    Quinn Direct €719

Last year €1200 with One Direct!! go figure that one!!

Advertisement