Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast access via nolimits ,please help?

Options
  • 16-12-2002 12:45am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It may seem a silly question to those in the know but since i dont know a lot about it i thought id ask.
    Im with no limits a while now and am wondering if i got broadband or something quicker than 56k ,lets just say eircom hispeed for example,well can i get it installed, pay monthly rental and access the net via my existing nolimits setup?This way would i be free to surf unlimited after 6pm and just pay for nolimits,and rental ?Is there anything extra?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

not 100% certain but as far as i am aware iol nolimits don't support isdn bonding (i could be wrong) so if you were to get it you would probably be grand on yer 64k but would'nt get the 128k from it, tried looking into that before but found it near impossible to find anyone who could confirm or deny that sort of thing for me.
    don't think they support broadband either (but again could be wrong there too)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why would nolimits support broadband when it's for dial up users?

As for ISDN, it's not 'officially' supported, but I know someone who uses it with NL, although you can have to redial a few times till you hit a modem that supports ISDN in their modem bank.

But as you can only get 64k....I wouldn't really say it's worth it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If i was to subscribe to netsmart maybe the 120 hrs access a month for 30 euros could i then get eircom hispeed[its just that eircom hispeed is available in my area]what would i be looking at?

1 connection fee for hispeed,[ 119 euros i think]
    2 monthly rental for hispeed [37 euros i think]
    3 netsmart access [120 hrs 30 euros]

Bloody confusing aint it.

Originally posted by Dcully

1 connection fee for hispeed,[ 119 euros i think]
    2 monthly rental for hispeed [37 euros i think]
    3 netsmart access [120 hrs 30 euros]

Bloody confusing aint it.

*sigh* for an extra 40 a month you can get DSL. I wouldn't waste my time with ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i use 64k isdn witn nolimits if anyone wants more info about it just pm me :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tuxx
    i use 64k isdn witn nolimits if anyone wants more info about it just pm me :)

Yeah and so can loads of other people, there's no trick to it.
    I said it's not *officially* supported by them. "Officially" being the key word.

ya i know i just thought some ppl might have questions about how stable it is and things like that and since its all been said before i figured it would better if they pm'ed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by eth0_
    but I know someone who uses it with NL, although you can have to redial a few times till you hit a modem that supports ISDN in their modem bank.

I get through first time all the time at 64k.. takes about 1 - 2 seconds to connect which is handy.. 128k doesn't work as only one line is registered to No Limits.
    AFAIK, all of the network accepts ISDN now.. the analogue modem is just bypassed when 64k is required.

It's generally a bit better than 56k.. Checking POP3 mail if particularly fast.. Blink and you'll miss the send and receive box!

For music downloads I get a max of 6.9k/s compared to 4.8k/s with my modem..
    This weekend has been very sluggish however, stopping completely on Saturday night. Bit better now I think..

It's cheaper than 2 analogue lines which is a plus. I got it installed ages ago though. With broadband hopefully around the corner I'm not so sure if i'd be so quick to sign up for ISDN now....

I've saved literally thousands over per minute since I got No Limits a few years back as I'm always using it.
    All good..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just wondering im on snl and use isdn to connect with it.... however i am using it a good bit say 4 hours per night and 10 hours each saturday adn sunday.. what i wanna know is.... are esat still kicking users for staying on it too long? coz i would like to stay on it from 6pm till 1am everynight and leave it running all weekend downloading etc...is anyone here using it to its full off-peak hours month after month and not getting kicked?

So whats isdn like with nolimits for online gaming ,first person shooters?
    You say its a bit better than 56k,surely its gotta be far better than that?

• Advertisement

60-70 ping in cs but some packets loss 5-10%

Tuxx check your pm please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I get 40-80 on UK servers with Soldier of Fortune 2 using snl ISDN, most of the time its lag free.

Advertisement