Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a crossover cable

Options
  • 16-12-2002 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

hi;

i need to make a cross over cable, ive been making patch cables so far, but how is a cross over cable wired? what is the colour coding fro both ends?

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

There are *RAFTS* of pages on making cross over cables, if you did a search on google you'd see.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

END1

Orange/White,Orange,Green/White,Blue,Blue/White,Green,Brown/White,Brown

END2
    Green/White,Green,Orange/White,Blue,Blue/White,Orange,Brown/White,Brown

....From memory.

Basically swap oranges/greens for each end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

maybe i dont like google, or search engines,
    maybe i like the personal touch of boards.ie?

i came here seeking information like many others, my request is no different then others seeking info on overclocking, or upgrading or whatever.

thank you ozpass,

i'll try this combination,

doodle bugs,

ozpass, which way were you putting the wires into the rj45 head,
    with the clip on top or underneeth, or will it make a differance which way round it is?

• Advertisement

Clip underneath.

If you've been making normal patch cables, make one end the same as you're used to, and on the other end swap the greens and the oranges.

Orange/white --> Green/White
    Orange --> Green
    Green/White --> Orange/White
    Green --> Orange

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You should find this quite useful...

out2.gif

cheers, ozpass and krusty

yeah i networked up my entire house (48network points enough!?)while it was been redone, so ive only ever made patch
    so i have cable to spare now a friend needs a crossover cable(60meters) so im making him one for free, but didnt know the wiring
    thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

48 network nodes?

Jeebus, is there one every 2 foot along the hallway or something?
    THe patch panel must'[ve been nice to install too :)

Are they all plugged into a network too? (2x 24 port switches?)

THe patch panel must'[ve been nice to install too

I made the patch panel for a 1500 port hospital network once. Nothing but stripping wires and patching for a week and a half. I was dreaming about Krone tools by the end of it.

• Advertisement

ive a big house!

yeah i have two 24 port switches, ive at least 2 in every room, the basement has the most nodes(12), i converted that into a lan room so my mates can come over with there pcs and we can have a good lan party! (best bit is i put a jacks, fridge and a microwave in there, so we dont have to leave!!!!!)

ps
    got the cables working too!

pps as for putting it in , it didnt take too long, longest part was saving enough money!!!! was worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeah, we're wiring up our own house this weekend, a bit of cat5 down to the "Comms Room" under the stairs.
    P90@100, 96 meg ram, 2gig hdd, 80meg hdd, maybe another 1gig and 850Megs too, 512KB ISA video card, Debian.

Advertisement