Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Many times did it take you to pass your test?

Options
  • 16-12-2002 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

I'm about to dod it for the second time...arrgh!

How Many times did it take you to pass your test? 52 votes

First time
    0% 0 votes
    Two times
    71% 37 votes
    Three times
    23% 12 votes
    Four times
    1% 1 vote
    Five or more
    1% 1 vote
    Still trying
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I turned 17 on 31/01/00 and got my provisional on 02/02/00 then past my test three months later on 15/05/00 HAHAHA I rule!!
    Been driven since i was 9. i learned in a mini 850cc! I had to put a briquette under the seat to prop me up so i could see over the steering wheel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Mods: How bout stickin an option in there for people like me who are too lazy to do it!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Car: 2nd Time
    Bike: 1st Time
    (average = 1.5)

It's all down to preparation. Do the lessons, pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

How many of those people (who said they passed first time) have done the test in the last 10 years? I thought the current past rate was about 50 - 60%?

Maybe this forum attracts just great drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i'm a great driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I passed first time in February 1998, having started driving the previous May. I did about 25 hours of lessons with a good instructor, and had plenty of practise outside that as well.

It's all about practise really at the end of the day - you can't hope to pass the driving test without having done some lessons and spent time on the road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Did my test in 97, passed first time and have been driving for the past 8 years... so plenty of practice before the test :D

But I went to a really good driving instructor for an hour a day the 6 days before the test just to get rid of any bad habits I had before hand and it worked a treat...

Definitely recommend going to a driving instructor, no matter how good a driver you think you are, there are always a few little things you've overlooked and its those that will cause you to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm a perfectly satisfactory careful driver. I wouldn't rate myself as a "great" driver (actually I don't know any "great" drivers, though I'm sure there are quite a few out there. I don't get to see many of them on the roads though)

To answer Dampsquid's question, passed it first time last March after about 9 months driving. Took two or three driving lessons beforehand which helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I applied for it thinking that it would take 8+ months for it to go through, but I applied for motorbike test by accident (which apparently is a very common thing to happen), so I had 6 weeks to prepare myself.
    I rang the office in Athlone and they told me to just turn up with my car and I'd be able to sit the test.

I got 4 driving lessons, and turned up for my 'bike' test in a Jeep, and passed it first time :D

Personally I think the driving instructor that you get is very important, Everyone I know who had the same instructor as me passed first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Statistically, most people actually fail their first and pass their second test... and I conform to that statistic.

I'm a fully licensed driver for just over a year now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Third time lucky for me, ahem. The first was too soon the second was a single error, the third was no better than the second as I recall but pased anyway! Which is quite typical I'm sure.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I passed mine about 6 months ago. First time, had to as I couldn't afford to get insurance on a provisional!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

IMO the system we use is riduculous anyway!!
    I drove in what is supposidly the correct manner for 20minutes of a test and now i can drive in what ever way i want!! (within the Law) there should be some form of continual assessement!!
    Just my opinion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

failed the first
    passed the second

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

Passed my test today :D it's the first time I have done it, I have been driving for 3 years on a provisional liscence. Got one pure s h i t e lesson with a brutal instructor last week, got one yesterday and one today (with a much better instructor), just before the test and past! A lesson or pre-test before your driving test is well worth pursuing!

mfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Congrats now see if you can keep your shiney new licence "points free"! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Passed first time:

2nd of August 2001

(Nice birthday present for me ;) )

And my License will be remaining completely points free as I am currently not inusred to drive anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Passed first time in 97 after 3 years of driving, had a 90 minute lesson the week before & cleaned up my act in time for the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

I got my licence the first time round when I was 18. It's easier to get your test first time when your only starting off, that is, you don't have the bad habits & your eager when your younger. I think the test should be repeated by everyone every 5 years or so. When you get the full licence thats when you slacken off and the bad habits develop......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

First time here too!! I got it 4 years ago (took a year to get the test back then!!) I would have been 19 when i passed it (23 now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

I passed mine the second time, the fúcker failed me on "HAND SIGNILS" the first time!! can you believe that!!

All the best drivers fail the first time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Passed 2nd time around.
    1st time. My instructor recomended that I use driving school car rather than my own. Big mistake as I wasn't used to it and it had power steering etc. My excuse anyway!
    2nd time. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

4 Times!!

Didnt have a car so could only practice by getting lessons. First two times i had awful instructors and was far from prepared properly. 3rd and 4th had an excellent instructor and was robbed on the 3rd time never should of been failed. Anyhow, i got it on my fourth aver spending a small fortune on lessons.

Anyone have to do it more times than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Mate of mine did it 6 times. He first started driving when he was 17 and had own car. After fifth time he had to request that the testing supervisor sit in on the test and he passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Passed 1st time for car.
    Passed 2nd time for bike.

Should have passed first time on bike only due to my arrogant attitude " I'll breeze throught this". But like everyone else said put plenty of practice in, I did about 5 lessons for car and 2 for bike(mode of transport I use daily).

But I do agree that even the best drivers fail first time, my brother failed his test for something very trivial, and I'd consider him a safer and better driver than me.

Best of luck to anyone about to do the test..............remember

"DONT BE NERVOUS"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lemondrop

Originally posted by ShayK1
    I turned 17 on 31/01/00 and got my provisional on 02/02/00 then past my test three months later on 15/05/00 HAHAHA I rule!!
    Been driven since i was 9. i learned in a mini 850cc! I had to put a briquette under the seat to prop me up so i could see over the steering wheel!!

Where did you do your test........it often makes a difference!!!!! Look at their web site for the pass rates of each centre. I have done mine twice and in hte centre i have to go to the pass rate is only about 42%.........dont you think something is a little wrong!! Its the same in most of the urban areas where down the country you have pass rates as high as 80%......The test needs to be standardised and for the testers to get their heads out of there ar$es and get down off that pedistal they put them self on!!!!

Also this person i know decided he'd go have a little cup of coffee to settle his nerves b4 his test. He ended up sitting across from these two well dressed men. He over heard them saying that one of them only had one more test that day but he was going to fail them. He kept quiet but sure enough when the tester came out to him it was the same guy. He did his test and sure enough failed!! He said it to the tester that he expected to since he had heard him say it.......guess what he passed him!!!!!- You have to wonder about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lemondrop

Hey,
    Did anyone see the article in The Irish Times about the driving tests andd the pass and failure rate........Wicklow has the lowest pass rate for both men and women at 47.2% and Shannon has the best at 70%. The best place to do your test seems to be over on the west coast not the East. Maybe the report will get them to look at getting a standard test for every1 that makes it fair!!!!

Advertisement