Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor woes

• 16-12-2002 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I urgently need help and there is a pint in it for anyone who can solve my problem. I might even be able to throw in some design work in return. (www.spoiltchild.com)

I have a lovely big 19" flat screen monitor. Its a rebadged sony and is now a sun.
    I run it off an ati radion 64mg vivo.

I didnt get a driver for it and i think thats the problem. I was told its the same model that is the DELL 19 inch (ppn or something, i can get the code if you need it) however that driver doesnt make a difference.

Since i got the monitor i havnt been able to use it at its full resolution. Through various settings and drivers i managed to get it running at 1026 x 762 at 85hz.
    However reciently i tried to improve it again and now i cant get it over 60hz no matter what resolution i run it at. I cant look at it as it wrecks my eyes and i badly need it to work on.

I was sure i had it on default plug and play but now it doesnt help.

Any directions for sun monitor drivers?
    or how to find out the equivelent sony driver?

Please help.

If all else fails where can i buy a good 19" monitor? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

a few suggestions:

Try using Powerstrip

Google for any bit of information you can find pertaining to the monitor model.

Are you running Win2k/XP? With nVidia cards there was an issue with refresh rates when the display res changed. This *may* affect ATi models and/or drivers.

If you're doing design work I assume you use some sort of colour calabiration tool? Surely you could identify the monitor using that?
    If all else fails get SiSoft Sandra Pro 2003 or an earlier version.
    Afaik that can detect the monitor model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I use refreshlock to get around the 60hz problem in XP.. its a great program and easy to use
    You can dl it here: http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?5000000037257
    g'luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey Al,

Hope this helps a bit.

Monitors do not *require* drivers. Monitors seek a graphics card that offers a resolution/timing that they are compatible with and can sync up to. The only driver involved with a monitor would actually be a driver for the graphics/video card that might allow it to offer a resolution that a monitor can work with.

It is recommended that you check with the manufacturer of your graphics/video card about what resolutions your card is capable of and/or if they have a driver for you card that will allow it to work with a Sun monitor. They may also be able to help you adjust your graphics card to offer a compatible resolution.

Therefore I reckon it's not just a monitor problem. Let us know how you get on with the suggestion from Repli, sounds like there's a known issue with XP already. Also, try installing Red Hat Linux (7 or 8), and see what kinda res X configuration gives you - might help some.

HTH,
    Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Works lovely now lads thanks a lot. Ill buy you all pints when i see you next though SyxPak and repli will have to identify yourselfs when you meet me :)

SyxPak that prog is class.

monitor now running at 1026 x 762 at 100hz

Advertisement