Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good laptop deal ?

• 16-12-2002 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

Well, when it comes do desktops I am very comfortable. I am a bit ignorant with Laptops though.

I am in the US the past couple of weeks and have happened across the following deal....

Compaq Presario 906US
    AMD XP1500
    256MB DDR
    20GB HD
    CDRW/DVD
    10/100 NIC
    14.1 Screen
    ATI Radeon 16MB video (don't like that bit myself).

It's 1100 dollars, however it's 749 after a mail in rebate.
    Now I have US work colleagues who will purchase it under their name and send me on the rebate when it arrives, so it'll cost me 749 new.

Good deal ?

Also should I have any power problems getting it working at home ? I don't expect so as the DELL Latitude L400 I'm typing this on is an Irish laptop and has no problems over here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    Also should I have any power problems getting it working at home ? I don't expect so as the DELL Latitude L400 I'm typing this on is an Irish laptop and has no problems over here.

Dell's power supply automatically senses the voltage - it has a dual voltage circuit built into it. You'll need to check if the compaq one does, or you'll need to buy a huge heavy power inverter, or you'll need to contact Compaq/HP Ireland and get the UK/Ireland version of the power supply.

Seems to be quite a a good deal once you're happy withy the graphics... which Radeon version is it? DVD/CDRW is a combo drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yup it's a combo drive.

I expect that Compaq being a global player will be the same as dell, will try to check that out. Anyone else here know ?

The graphics are not fantastic. Dunno which Radeon, I suspect it's the very bottom of the barrell, I mean it's 16Mb shared mem ffs

Still seems like a reasonable deal to me for a new laptop ?

This is the spec........ Video looks like dirt to me.

processor
    [definition] Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 1500+ with PowerNow!™ Technology (1.33GHz)

memory
    [definition] 256MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256MB) at 266MHz

hard drive
    [definition] 20GB* Ultra DMA, 4200 RPM

multimedia drive
    [definition] 8x DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

display
    [definition] 14.1" XGA TFT (1024 x 768) display

communications
    [definition] Integrated 56K ITU V.92 PCI modem and 10/100 Base-T Ethernet port

video
    [definition] ATI Radeon™ IGP Integrated Graphics with 16MB shared video memory

sound
    [definition] JBL Pro Performance Audio with Bass Reflex

weight
    Approximately 6.5 lbs.

dimensions
    [definition] 12.8" (L) x 10.6" (W) x 1.5" (H)

operating system
    [definition] Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It looks like an excellent deal to me, for 750 euro over here you will struggle to buy any sort of decent laptop.

Originally posted by Gerry
    It looks like an excellent deal to me, for 750 euro over here you will struggle to buy any sort of decent laptop.

While that is definitely true, it is only a good deal if it does what he wants...

The graphics *will* be a restriction on the system. If I remember correctly the Radeon IGP was ATI's attempt to pull an nForce?

Also, the processor is at the lower end of the scale. All depends on what it'll be used for. That said, for 750 Euro, you'd be hard pushed to find any kind of decent DESKTOP system here, let alone a laptop.

Just make sure you don't get stiffed by customs on the way back...

• Advertisement

I dunno, I reckon the XP1500 should spank a celeron 1500 and probably some of the Dell P4 1.8 laptops that use SDRAM.

Customs should be no problem. I'm here for work and came over with a laptop (which I will put into my baggage) so I don't think there will be a problem going back. Still not sure wether to get it though. Could easily sell it for more than 750 here if I changed my mind though if the ridiculous prices I see laptops selling on these very boards is anything to go by.

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    I dunno, I reckon the XP1500 should spank a celeron 1500 and probably some of the Dell P4 1.8 laptops that use SDRAM.

All the new dells use DDR RAM - not sure if that would help the Celeron out though...

That said, you won't get a Dell notebook here for less than 1400 Euro...

If you get it and then change your mind, give me a shout ;)

Well finally picked a laptop up over here. Good deal I think.

Compaq 905

AMD Athlon XP 1500
    256MB DDR RAM
    30GB HD
    ATI Radeon Mobile (shares 16,32 or 64 mb with system, you choose)
    Soundcard,
    Floppy Drive
    DVD ROM
    Network Card
    Modem
    14.1 TFT
    IE 1394 Port
    2 USB ports etc........

Once the rebates come in, it will cost me 599 dollars, which is about 590 Euro new. I think thats a great bargain. I must get work to send me here more often, I'll take orders next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Good work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Wowsers! Good laptop at a unbelievable price!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I've been using one of those same laptops recently - it was brought back from the US, and it works perfectly well over here. Dead fast too, and if you've seen them, then you'll know how cool they look. Just wish I was able to get one for myself!

Advertisement