Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save a child this Chrimbo!

Options
  • 16-12-2002 4:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Do you remember years ago when you really wanted Street Fighter 2, Rocket Knight Adventures, Axelay or Doom for christmas. And remember the utter disappointment when your parents bought utter tosh like hot wheels racing or jurassic park. Or remember the time you wanted a snes and instead got a C64 or an atari 2600.

Well lets stop the suicidal tendencies of children this Christmas. I have a plan. I am forming a band of 6 santas little helpers this christmas eve. If you want volunteer just post on this thread. 5 of the helpers will stay in Software Zone Smyths in Dublin until closing day advising stupid parents on what games to buy. Extreme force is authorised especially against the oppressive security gaurds. Remember a childs life could be at risk. Elf no. 6 will sit outside Game. His job will be to turn people away from these rip off merchants and direct them towards Software Zone.

This thread was written because an event in Software Zone a week ago when a mother bought her son Simpsons Road Rage and Simpsons Skateboarding for Christmas. Pray for his soul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Hate to piss on your parade, but 90% of the Kids want this dross.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah! Well I killed my parents because they got me a C64 instead of a Snes and Jurassic Park instead of Gunstar Heroes.
    I would be a normal person if only my parents had listened to my requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Castor Troy

Like when bart wanted Bonestorm and he got
    "golfers name here" putting challange.

A bad game can destroy christmas you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Lee Trevino aka Lee Carvelo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

your idea has merit but then i got the snes with street fighter 2 for christmas when i was young :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My parents would not get me a console...it seemingly was "too enpensive" and "consoles have no educational value"

They got me a PC instead. MuHAHAHAHHA!

Maybe parents buy woeful games deliberately to stop there children becoming freaky like Retr0gamer (The ultimate nerd) ;)

Scratch that

Parents are just plain stupid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Praetorian
    My parents would not get me a console...it seemingly was "too enpensive" and "consoles have no educational value"

They got me a PC instead. MuHAHAHAHHA!
    BASTARD!!! They got me a master system when the megadrive was out :(
    But it kept me occupied until next chrimbo when they got me a megadrive and 10games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

bah ! all you young kids, i had to be happy with a 'ZX81'
    traumatised for life !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Pah, I never got a console (or anything games-related) in all my years at home. Didn't buy my own PC until I was 25 (yes, read it, it says "25") and playstation the same year (though I did get that one as a present from a yummy woman)

You lot were spoilt:)
    (bitching just because I never got nuthin)

btw my parents managed to buy both "James Pond olympics" (or whatever it was called) and "Toe Jam and Earl" for my younger brother one year. Both still deserve a kicking for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

We got an Amiga 500. God that was a good chrimbo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Praetorian you forgot one thing. I nkow were you live. I'd be over to kill you but coop Halo and DOA 3 in your house would be more tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by Pugsley
    BASTARD!!! They got me a master system when the megadrive was out :(
    But it kept me occupied until next chrimbo when they got me a megadrive and 10games :)

My first pc was a 286 with 4MB ram and a EGA Screen...No sound cards back then...No CD-Roms either...I feel really old now...lol and im only 21!

The consoles at the time were superior...I think the master system was out!
    I'd be over to kill you

heheh......Bring it on! Ill kick your ass like i normally do!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

kids nowadays are all spoilt brats... everyone...

I got a stop watch for Christmas... now that was cool... back then... you wouldn't believe what could be timed... walk to school, mass...

Now I've got a 1.7MHz, 256MB, GeForce 2 64MB machine, shortly to be upgraded to a 512 + GF3... because I got my own money... WHHUUAAAAA !!!! GO WEEP KIDS :D and ... ISDN.... WHUAAHAHHAHHA

The Duke : ))

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah the joy one Christmas of getting a Sinclair Speccy 128k+2A! It even had a built in "datacorder"! The amount of time I wasted watching wavey lines and squeals while games loaded (to be told at the end there was an error).:rolleyes: Chase HQ was worth the 15min loadtime though! :D

i also recall the xmas of the commadore 64 (check spelling) with the cartridge which has flimbo's quest, a class game, then i got the tape deck your comment on the squealy lines irishbyte brings back memories, that and buying commadore games which where real cheap, and if you found somebody who actually could afford the cartridges it was amazing.

that bgins back the days... ZX +2 with REAL keyboard... nice to see some seasoned players in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    6 will sit outside Game. His job will be to turn people away from these rip off merchants and direct them towards Software Zone.

lol, I like the line of thinking. If I had the time I would actually help you out but I am in Carlow and will only be in Dublin for a day and a half, then it's off to london for Xmas @ the anties....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

hmm seems i got a bit off topic, maybe i shoulda started a new topic for it :rolleyes:

infact i think i will :cool:

[edit] above post deleted as it was a bit off topic as i say, moved it to --> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74257 though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I did my part today. Standing in Dixons, waiting for an assitant to get Metroid Fusion from the back, an elderly lady wandered up to the counter with Warriors of Might and Magic for the PS2. She asked the assistant if it was any good and, lying to her face he said it was "very good, with good graphics". I couldn't let her buy it and told her it was crap, so she asked what should she get - and that her grandson likes football, but she didn't want to spend more than €30.

So thanks to me, some little kid will wake up to Pro Evolution Soccer on Christmas morning and will be spared the horrors of Might and Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You should have told her that there is a good chance its cheaper in Smyths. :)

- Dave.

• Advertisement

a saint is born :D

Up the town yesterday I happened to go into smashing hits in Ballina,Co. Mayo. If your in town avoid it like the plague. I wouldnt go near the place usually but someone had bought me a game from there for my birthday.

They guy behind the counter was serving these people so I waited. Any way the woman asks him if Nightfire and Sega Soccer are any good. His reply two of the best games of the year.So she says what other good games are there. He then goes on to name some of the worst games of all time. **** like Frogger 3D.
    Imagine what his Christmas is going to be like.

I was laughing so much at this stage that tears were flowing from my eyes.

When it was my turn to be served I gave him the game I wanted to return and the receipt. He then said he had to check it in his records. I told him I had the receipt and by law I should get the money for the game back. He then started acting like a real prick so I just walked out.

Now you are going on about bad Christmasses. Imagine how I feel. Im 17 and my aunt gives me CASPER for my birthday.

regardless of whether you have the receipt or not unless that game is faulty that shop doesnt have to give you jack schitt by law. consumers are not covered under the law by mistaken purchases of size, colour item etc. retailers individual return policies in this area are in addition to your statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

someone paid attention in business class, but you could argue the need of a cooling off peroid if he is pushing certain games and such i'd say...........

wouldn't wash strictly speaking caveat emptor, but if the retailer is anyway decent they would do something in the interest of customer service

I have given up on game shops... I was in town a few days back and again joined the never ending cue - just to be told that "No we do not have that game and we couldn't be bothered our arce ordering it for you- keep comming in over the entire year and ask and if you are really lucky we may have a copy"....

Crap !!!!! :mad:

From here on I will never go to a game shop again - everything online.

Also, I actively discourage people from buying me games without consulting me first... unfortunately no one ever does and it's socks again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I got a ZX81, complete with wobbly 16 ram pack for Xmas once when the 'rubber speccys' where in

To make it worse it was my uncle who had sold it to my parents, they thought it was the spectrum that I had been going on about all year :/

Could never get a game to load and even one that I had typed in wouldnt work :(

the bloodly crook !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Was in Gamesworld on Liffey St. yesterday, trying to spend an Xmas vouchers on Timesplitters 2 for the Gamecube.

No sign of it on the racks, so I asked one of the counter laddies if there were any copies of it anywhere in the shop. There wasn't, but he went Round The Back and got it put on an outgoing order. Said it should be in by Thursday. :)

I must say, he was really helpful. Not at all like some of the peons I've exploited/had to deal with in the past. He even warned yound lad in front of me off a Bruce Lee game for the PS2 (succinctly labeling it "****e").

A Golden Mallet of Justice is winging its way to him right now.

hope he ducks, mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

In the consumer association of Ireland there should be a gaming section where clueless parents could ring up for advice so no more shop assistants would lie to their faces.

I'll 'volunteer' if I can test play every game first at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Indeed...eveyone who got sent to Smyths got stuck with their choice....but those who made it past Elf number 6 to Game, they got to bring 'em back for a game of their choice...terrible rip off merchants they are indeed!

Advertisement