Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal guitar help

• 16-12-2002 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I allways thought the dime would be a brilliant metal guitar but I was wrong. The feel is all wrong and the strings are too far apart. I don't know if I played a bad copy or what. Heres a pic:
    dime333ds.jpg

Since it has been a big let down (besides its looks) I need to know any other good metal makes. Looks and feel is the majority here.

Thanks
    dav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well if a guitar has problems like "the strings are too far apart", this can be always altered.

The major factor in playing metal though, is nothing to do with the actual guitar, just the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I'm well aware of that and I am a solid metal player. It's just it doesn't really look metal playing a hondo strat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Get this : dre_02big.jpg

And then when your a big girl get this : hb_elect_big.jpg

:P

NeM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

oh man, i want both of those guitars so bad now, specially the 2nd one

talk about camp value, where'd you find them ?

oh, and if u change the color of the heart shaped one to white with a red scrathplate thingie it'd be so much cooler hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

hehe, those are dirt cool...specially loved the acoustic :-)

pity they're for girls, oh well i'd still buy one hehe

oh and just noticed i got my 2nd star...im a funky crazy poster now *cheer me* :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Generally the more traditional makes of quitars like Gibsons and Fenders etc. have narrowish necks and the strings closer together. The neck is also deeper and more "C" shaped in profile. They generally have narrower and shorter frets too. Whereas more modern makes like Jackson, ESP, Ibanez BC Rich etc. have shallower neck profiles generally know as a "U" shaped. They also tend to have the strings wider spaced and can come with larger or oversized/jumbo frets.This isn't a golden rule however as some times you get a fender or gibson with a modern neck and sometime you'll get something like a Jackson with a more traditional neck.

Often You'll find a quitarist will use one kind of guitar for one type of song/music and another one for a different song. Sometimes this is for sound/tone reasons and some times they its to suit the playing style of that song. A good guide is look at your favorite players and see what makes they tend to favour and then the out similar models yourself.

Incidentally Eddie Van Halen played modern looking quitars like Charvels but generally he replaced the necks with a more traditional one that was thicker and more rounder, very like an early telecaster. Not what you'd expect at all. The necks on his his music man signature quitars are modelled after the necks he made himself.

Players who use a more classic hand position with a thumb behind the neck like the more modern shaped neck. Its actually like a classical quitar really. Whereas players who like to throw their thumb over the nect and hold it club-like like a more traditional thick neck.

... anyone still awake after all that?...... I'll get me coat....:D

Advertisement