Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick problem

• 16-12-2002 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My friend's pc appears to be riddled with viruses and hes decided to format, however when he tries to boot up into dos mode with a boot disc in he gets a "c:\windows\command.com is missing or corrupted" message. Ive tried dccing him my one of these and it made no difference. His pc is in such a state that he cant even look at webpages atm - any advice you lot can give that would help fix this?

Hes running XP pro btw :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

you are right best bet is clean install. Forget the floppy.

go into the bios and set the machine to boot from CDROM.

Insert the XP pro cdrom and boot from it. Then do a full install. Delete the partition from the disk and reformat the HDD (not Quick format for good measure) and install as normal.
    When its finsihed get a virus monitor - they are worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

1. Boot off the XP CD, and format from within the XP install routine.
    2. OR, go to http://www.bootdisk.com, download this file (self extracting image of a win98 SE bootdisk), FDISK and format the HDD, then do number 1
    3. OR get hold of a linux distro on bootable CD, use that to trash the HDD, then do 2, then do 1.
    4. OR you could write a program to overwrite the entire HDD with the bit "0" (or even go googling for one), then do 2, then do 1.

I won't keep going ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Ta :)

Advertisement