Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD-RW Cd's Not Workin in non CDRW

• 17-12-2002 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Okay, using a liteon 32*12*40 cdrw to write my cdrs. Never noticed a problem with them till now. Went to use them in an oldish cd drive (non cdrw) and it didn't see the files, just looked like the cd was empty.

I use nero to burn the cds, so what settings do i need to have, for them to work on normal cd player in a computer?

Track at once
    Disk at once
    Disk at once/96

any other iso settings?

Cd's i copy with cloneCD work fine, so i know i must be using the wrong settings or doing something wrong with Nero.

Any help?

Thanks in advance,
    Alo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

The simple answer is CDRW discs don't work in all CDROM drives, particularly older drives and even contemporary consumer audio CD players. CDRW discs reflect less of the laser light than CD or CDR discs so older drives have a hard time picking up the bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

all dvd drives can see cdrw's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I reckon the answer is as simple as closing the session... If you dont do that (stops you adding files in later) an ordinary cd cant see it. Clone CD automatically closes the disk as it cant work any other way. Nero does not always unless you specify in the write options. Look at the help file if you dont know how to do this and all will be revealed!!

Of course it could be just a case as was said before.. it wont read in certain older cd drives... eh clone cd i think will tell you on the info thing what the cdrom will support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

... as can all "multi-read" CD drives (there'll be a logo on a CD drive if it supports this)

For reading a CDRW (as opposed to a CDR) in a regular CD drive, you'll probably need to install the UDF reader. Should be on your CD writing software CD (or just google for it) - I think it's now up to version 1.5.

There are plenty of CD drives that have no problems reading CDRs that have problems reading CDRWs (plenty of old audio CD players that can't read CDRs as well but that's a different story altogether)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You shouldn't need any UDF reader software unless you've been using some shítty packet writing software. Unreliable as fúck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by STaN
    all dvd drives can see cdrw's
    That's not true, though some DVD drives are better at reading CDRW discs than CDR due to the different wavelength of the laser and how the discs reflect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

First off,

its cdr's that arn't working, I didn't mean say cdrw disks.

I've tried setting it so that it doesn't do a multisession and that the cd is finalised, both in one go and finalising it later. These cdr's work fine in some dvd players and perfect in other peoples cdrw drives.

I'm using Nero, thought that would have been on of the better programs to be using to burn the cds. Tried that incd and it was total dirt. Like i said haven't had a problem using nero on my machine just want them to work on other peoples cd drives. Could you recommend any other good cd writing programs?

When i used clone cd it said basically everything was supported on it. For the cds i'm using at the moment that i want to work on normal cddrives are just data, programs and txt files. So there gotta be a way to get them to work on normal cd drives. Tis a pain and i've wasted loads of cheap cds trying to get it right.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming,
    Alo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

what write speed are you using? i know some cd drives cant read disks that were written at faster speeds than their maximum speed. Also try using a different brand of cdr and make sure that if your burning at 16x the medium says 16x or more etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya i was writing them at the max speed 32x the cd player is 52 i think. but defo worth a go. it worked in a dvd player today so thats a + :) thanks anyhew. Will give it a go.

Advertisement