Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone else read the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson?

Options
  • 17-12-2002 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

These are my favourite books of all time. Has anyone else read them?

Amazing story, fantastic characters, terrifying plot. Would be a fantastic film…perhaps ill try and convince Peter Jackson to read the series!

It might be hard to find someone to play Angus Thermopyle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Arithon

Of course :D
    It took him a while to write a book where the main character is just not stultifyingly depressing. Thankfully I did stay with Donaldson past his Thomas Covenant stuff - The Gap series is, honestly, one of the best SF series I've read too! For me, the best SF to be released in the last 10 years (what else was there? Otherland?). Douglas Adams's work competes, but his best work was released in the 80s.

I think the Gap series appeals to the same kind of person who might like Babylon 5 - a story which increases in scope from seemingly small personal issues to envelop "the future history of humanity".

And the world is never simple, and people's motivations are hard to fathom at times - but if they were, the books would be boring. People ARE that complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Isn't the Otherland series by Tad Williams?

I'm enjoying the final book in the series at the moment...

Thomas Covenant killed my enjoyment of Donaldson's work..
    (Over a period of many many months, and many many books)...

Might give the Gap series a try though...

Advertisement