Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom's target audience for adsl?

Options
  • 17-12-2002 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that on eircom.net's products page , it has a table for stuff aimed at residential customers, and one at business.

Strangely enough, in the business one, they list ADSL as "Broadband Internet Access" under "Fast Access", along with ISDN, but in the residential table, "Fast Access" consists solely of ISDN and first/additional PSTN.

Telling, eh?

In effect, they're saying "only businesses have need for broadband", and expecting residential customers to continue to count their online time with an egg timer.
    Do they think we're all farmers who can't tell the difference between a PC and a sliced pan or what?
    They really do seem to think that they can con people with arguments like "less time waiting on downloads means more productivity, and cheaper connection costs!" when to get that speed through ISDN means having two calls at once, costing you twice as much.

Frustrating :)

zynaps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by zynaps
    In effect, they're saying "only businesses have need for broadband", and expecting residential customers to continue to count their online time with an egg timer.
    I can't understand why eirCON advertise ADSL only as a business product, I mean they trialled it with residential users, for God's sake they even rang my old man (residential customer) and asked him would he like ADSL installed. But yet they still charge their "business" prices?

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by viking
    But yet they still charge their "business" prices?

a) Because they are allowed.
    b) Because there is little competion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

The Reason they trialed to Res Customers was beacuse of the Solo Package Perfect for the Home user if you can afford it. and dont a have a network in which case ESATs package is good @ €90 I think . The Moral of the Story is if you want broadband for your home get a 2nd job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by the Guru
    The Reason they trialed to Res Customers was beacuse of the Solo Package Perfect for the Home user if you can afford it. and dont a have a network in which case ESATs package is good @ €90 I think .
    Yes. A residential service at a business price.
    The Moral of the Story is if you want broadband for your home get a 2nd job
    Doesn't sound very moral to me! Sounds like extortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Put this together with their full page ads claiming 500,000 DSL enabled lines
    and
    The fact that there are only between 130,000 (or absolutely max 180,000) businesses in the country...

Eircom's business plan is clear - lets not sell Joe citizen DSL - we'll make much more money selling him slow old dial up or even more money selling him slow old ISDN.

This is not illegal but it is national sabotage.

BTW what ever happened the ESAT home DSL product we were promised before Xmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Vapourware it seems ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

While all the above seems likely, I think another reason for the determined classification of DSL as a business, and NOT a residential, product is so that ads can continue to be run with prices quoted excluding VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by vinnyfitz

Ive been told twice recently by esat sales people that its still on the cards, but it will be post-xmas (they are still claiming within 6 weeks tho )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

/me thinks out loud
    that reminds me, i must post up the reply i got from the advertising standards authouity about my complaint about the I-Stream add that was on the radio.
    It was held up in part along with a few other complaints that were of a similar vein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Forget it!

The thinking way forward in this country is forget waiting for the incumbent or third parties any time soon! and start concentrating on home grown internet access on a community basis and get funding from the government etc...
    then later on when erscum and other minniouns catchup we wont need them.
    im just waiting to move premises and i will be looking at some other ways of accessing broadband.

I have netsystem which already gives me fast! downloads
    next step is always on! Fraico.
    barring this happening soon, then its community based broadband or Irish wan.

Lets fight the fight but concentrat elsewhere too!
    this way your not putting all your eggs in one basket.
    by the way im in D9/11 not sure how many imidiate people here live close to this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I think that'd be the dream many of us look up to, bonecollector... but if we built up a big, public, homegrown network of wireless connections, we'd still have the problem of finding connections to the internet backbone, with more and more bandwidth, and trying to equalize usage fairly, and assigning IP's and stuff.
    I don't know much at all about networking, but I do know we'd need something like direct connections to the fibre ring in each area (those close enough anyway?) and for it to be lit.
    But that's being apparently completed by the ESB and its bandwidth is being sold to commercial carriers.

The only other obvious option is satellite, and as we know well it has quite a large inherent ping time, which would shoo most people off.
    Let's not talk about DSL :P

Sorry to sound pessimistic, I just don't know how we'd do it :)
    Perhaps we could buy some of the fibre off ESB? ;)
    How did irishbroadband do it?

zynaps

Advertisement