Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Drivers in for a tough time.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Heres my 2 cents, I hope these changes are enforced, I'm sick to dead of ending up behind L plated drivers who are struggling behind the wheel, fair enough everyone has to learn but put them in a car with someone who has passed their test.

I don't have any sympathy of anyone who is complaining about this basically suck it up and do the test like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

Originally posted by daveirl
    Basically what some people are saying is that it will be OK to take down your L-plates because you find the new situation unfair. Well this isn't on. Basically what your saying is that 'I don't like the law, so to fuck with it" Well you knew the rules when you started driving. If you're breaking them deal with it. It shouldn't come as a shock to you.

Yep, just like a lot of people still drives with drink on them and some gets caught and many escapes, just like many still uses mobile phones while driving and they still break speed limits and so on the list goes on and on and on... They know the rules to while they are driving. So this one will be just an edition to the list and if I am breaking the law by taking my L plate of I am still less of a danger to you and others with drink on them while driving and talking on the phones :rolleyes:
    This didn't come as a shock to me and I beleive this didn't come as a shock to many provisional drivers and it was long overdue but what I don't agree is our minister famous Seamus coming out of the blue few weeks to christmas talking about something like this without any clear info about when and how it will be in place and causing many people to panic and start ringing the radio stations, writing to papers and Board.ie :D .

Originally posted by GreenHell
    Heres my 2 cents, I hope these changes are enforced, I'm sick to dead of ending up behind L plated drivers who are struggling behind the wheel, fair enough everyone has to learn but put them in a car with someone who has passed their test.

I don't have any sympathy of anyone who is complaining about this basically suck it up and do the test like the rest of us.

Where did you learn to drive? In your back garden? Or maybe you are living near a test center and driving around the test routes all the time :D
    You don't have sympathy to learners, I wouldn't expect any sympathy from you for anything, don't forget person who passed the test beside the leraner could be worst than the learner himself :D

Here is your 1 cent change back. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

halkar: You have a terrible attitude. You're saying that it's ok to break the law with regard to driving unaccompanied because people do far worse i.e. Drink Driving. This is akin to someone argueing that it is OK to assault someone because people do far worse i.e. Kill people.

I don't have sympathy to people who break the law and get caught. End of story.

Nope, I am not saying it is ok to break the law , I am saying the laws are already being broken by many even though they know it is wrong to do so. Maybe you should re-read my posts again and take your head of the ground !! There are many cases where driving rules and laws being broken so why shouldn't taken the L plate off be one of them? It is already being done by people who drives on the motorways.
    I have no problem having someone with me while driving , but I don't have anyone with full licence.

If you feel safer with drunk drivers instead of the provisionals with no L plates, do so . I rest my case :D

We have the cra@p weather, cr@p roads and cr@p drivers and now the cr@p government , what can you expect :D

Anyway no hard feelings to anyone, we all find out after xmas what famous seamus is talking about so for now merry xmas all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

if the really want to introduce safety on irish roads then forget about all the L plate changes:

Introduce drivers ed. classes in school. Kids should be learning how to drive and good habits when they are 16, not later in life like 30 when they can now currently afford insurance.

accidents and insurance rates would go down...isnt that what its all about?

And then you say that because this happens it's ok for it to happen with regard to provisional licences. I say it isn't. Basically it comes down to you not liking a particular law. DEAL WITH IT
    Nope I am not saying it is Ok, it is already being done. I drive on the motorways too and with my L plates. I know I am breaking the law and many others like myself too.
    So what is the difference between this law and the others the government brought in for motoring? How many stop using mobiles, how many stop drink driving, how many stop speeding and whatever? Yep I will DEAL with it but I am not going to stop driving just because some people like you thinks that I should do so.

Well find someone. You knew the rules day one. That's your problem not mine.
    If it was your problem you wouldn't be like this after all. :D

Show me where I said that I felt safer with Drunk Drivers???
    You didn't but you are going on about if I take my L plates of I am breaking the law where you don't like it and yet while there are many laws are being broken every second you can't do anything about. Basically it comes down to you not liking traffic laws being broken. DEAL WITH IT :D

Thankfully I don't need your mercy or sympathy for this , I am sure the government will have a reasonable way of putting this law in place and as I said earlier one day we'll all have our full licences and live happily after on the roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have to agree with daveirl on this one. Provisional drivers cause too many accidents. They are dangerous. There's no point in saying "we should leave lesser crimes alone, and concentrate on the bigger ones". By that logic, we should do everything we can to prevent murders and beatings, to the detriment of dealing with theft crimes. Nope.

We need a dedicated traffic corps. Too much Garda time is spent dealing with gobsh1tes who can't follow simple road laws. And yes, I drove on my own all the time with my prov. I was a gobsh1te once too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭YoungNastyMan

cheers lads just remembered i apllied for my test in August for my bike must ring them up and find out what the hold up is it's been 4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'd have to agree with DaveIRL here as well.

Halkar: you need to seriously adjust your attitude. No matter how many people break a law, regardless of it's severity, it's still WRONG!!! It doesn't matter a sh*t that lots of learners drive around without L-Plates, it's still WRONG for people to do it. It's such a classically Irish mindset that because other people are breaking the law and getting away with it that we can justify breaking it ourselves.

As long as this attitude prevails in this country, things are never going to improve. We need to realise as a nation that we have to start setting a better example for each other in all areas of life, or we're going to end up in total anarchy!

I'm gone a good bit off topic here at this stage I reckon, but we really do need to give ourselves a kick up the arse and cop on now!!

Originally posted by Chimaera
    As long as this attitude prevails in this country, things are never going to improve. We need to realise as a nation that we have to start setting a better example for each other in all areas of life, or we're going to end up in total anarchy!.....

You and me won't change the nation, government is only starting to do something about it now and before doing so they should really look at the all system. If they really want to tackle the problem of provisional drivers, why not have some more testers and instead of waiting for months have the test in few weeks.

After all if YoungNastyMna waiting for 4 months for bike test what chance provisional drivers have to take a test in few months? They have money to waste in stupid tribunals and they don't have money to allocate for extra testers and test centers, This can be done to bring down the number of provisional drivers and eventually people will not have to wait for months for test. My attitude not towards to law but it is towards the way the government trying to deal with it. Well I don't really know what they will do as all that around is the rumors.

I waited 10 weeks for my test. I don't think that's very long at all. And stupid tribunals, I doubt those whose loved one's died of Hepatitis from contaminated blood products think that tribunals are 'stupid'

Where do you live? I'll take my test there next time :D It is almost 3 months and I am still waiting :rolleyes:
    You should know better what tribunals I am talking about, you don't hear much of the Hepatitis tribunal these days, do you? Our courts are too busy trying to figure out what was our corrupt politicians were doing some years ago :rolleyes:
    Just put them in jail, take their assets and put the money in good things :D Hmmm yeah maybe :rolleyes:

back to topic, does anyone heard more about the current provisional drivers will be giving driving permits while waiting for their tests? Or is it just one of those rumours going around?

Advertisement