Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DW help nedded urgently

Options
  • 17-12-2002 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I goot a prob, I do a web site for a thai boxing club i train in, okay well friday is D day for the people that sponsor us to look at the site. My operating sys crashed on my home Pc 3 months ago, and I never got round to updating the site, now I am FTPing through DW as its the only way I know how, and I am using the correct user name and password

for Access
    I am putting FTP

for the FTP host
    I am putting ftp.hostingcompanyname.co.uk

and for the

host directory
    I am putting www.bridgestonemuaythai.com

This is all in the remote info section of the FTP panel

When I try to connect, I get

can not connect to host......

I am clueless here and need any and all help, whats going wrong for me ????

thanks, Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

How long has this been going on and when did it start as the host may be down this is quite common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

just started today, as i only got back to work on it today..... my methods are okay ??? but what I have written here, just unsure as its been a while since I uploaded anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

as long as you havent changed any of your settings all should be OK there server is probably down just keep trying and recheck your settings in DW with what the hosting company have sent you ///////// email them or call them to see if there are any issues

cheers guru, much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tuille

r u on a network ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Paddy, click Start / Run... and type:

cmd (if you're on XP/2000) or
    command (if you're on 95/98)

type:

ftp ftp.hostingcompanyname.co.uk

Put in your username and password. If you log in successfully (and still can't log on from DW), then there is something wrong with your DW settings. (If it says "host unreachable" or something like that, then the site is down)

Anyway, trying the above should confirm if the site is up or down.

Hope that helps,
    Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Hi paddyc,

Are you sure the settings you're using are right?
    If so are you sure the server is up?

I've no idea what your mileage is so if I'm stating something you've already tried I apologise but try this...

Hit 'start' -> 'Run',
    Type 'command' (if you're on Win95 / Win98 / WinME),
    otherwise type 'cmd' (if you're on WinNT / Win2k / WinXP),

command prompt should appear fairly quickly...
    type 'ftp'

ftp prompt should appear
    type 'open ftp.hostingcompanyname.co.uk'

you should be prompted for a login name and then a password.

If you aren't or it won't accept your login name and password try 'open bridgestonemuaythai.com'

Once you get connected to either type 'ls' or 'dir' to get a directory listing

you'll probably get either of two things - a list of website-ish directories (e.g. www.xxxxx.com) or a smaller list of directories like
    htdocs, cgi-bin, etc

you can type 'cd <directory>' to enter that directory and then ls or dir to get a list of the files in that directory. Type 'cd ..' to get back up a directory.

If you get the shorter list mentioned above your host directory is probably either htdocs, httpdocs, html, docs or something similar. If you get the sites list you may want to cd to your site and have a look in there.

However, I just went to have a look at your site and apparently there has been a file server failure, which may also be part of the problem.....

If you want you can PM me you're settings I'll have a bash at logging in but I won't expect you to trust me so I won't be offended if you don't

Anything else we can help just ask....

[edit]
    Damn it Dave just beat me to it...
    [/edit]

:)

Sorry! Great minds think alike... :p

- Dave.

Lads lads lads

panic over, thanks for the advise in the cmd window, never done stuff like that, I wont even tell you what I was doing wrong.... wasnt a spelling mistake but wasnt far off it....

Many many thanks for your help

paddy:D :D:D

lol.... glad to hear it, Paddy! :p

- Dave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement