Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West of Ireland demands broadband

Options
  • 17-12-2002 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

From ENN.net
    The West of Ireland could be left behind the rest of the country if the government does not expedite the provision of cheap broadband, a new report claims.

The South and East could do with it as well tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

only one problem with that quote is or has lost out would be more appropriate

link to wdc website
    http://www.wdc.ie/news.asp?id=52

"The case studies in the report show good telecommunications is about retaining jobs as well as creating new ones"

look at the recent job losses in at bmr ok support has stayed for now but if they don't get bettercoms they have said they will leave.

anyway nice to see the wdc picking up on this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

YOOOOOOOh!

This tells it as it is for a government publication. Only the Forfás report came up to it IMO.

It also synthesises quite a lot of the arguments in other recent reports and has a good appendix.

Now look at recommendations 13 and 14 Here in the actual report

(*one of yeer pubs links is to the /dir lads)

13 FRIACO now and

14 "basic broadband as part of the USO" Yessssss !

I'm glad that some civil servants read what happens in here.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Muck

14 "basic broadband as part of the USO" Yessssss !

M

Muck

you think there is a real chance of any form of broadband making its way into a USO ?

j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I am delighted that an official government report acknowleges that it exists. Thats a first ...... FRIACO is taken as a given on wishlists nowadays thanks to IoffL and its campaiging.

Now we need to ratchet up the base standard for everybody.

The USO will most likely not contain a committment to Broadband as the EU document guarantees analogue and not digital line quality for all.

A 40K data rate ..minimum... over every analogue line in Ireland would amount to a major upgrade of the National Copper Plant while the following USO is being prepared.

The rest of the report is pretty good as well...skip to the list of recommendations at the end and work back . Its less than a Meg!

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I agree with the concept of a USO and I wholeheartedly support a USO for analogue - it is badly needed, and it needs to reflect current requirements - e.g. 40K+ approx.

Given the attitude of the incumbent USOs are also not just desirable but necessary for most other aspects of the communications infrastructure.

The difficulty I see with it is that it will almost always be a lowest common denominator between what is acceptable to the interested parties, rather than being something that makes the earth move.

My first experience of a USO was in the mid/late 80s being the proud possessor of a 1200 baud modem which cost 700 quid or so, which failed on each and every one of 20 lines connected to a PABX in front of a group of 'mericans. The response from a biddy to a complaint about line quality, in her best nasaleese: "well you can hear me can't you; that’s all we guarantee on these lines" USO, Irish style.

Where it comes unstuck is getting agreement. I can see Eircom establishing bridgeheads at 14.4, 19.2, 24K, 28.8, 32k and perhaps a few others, putting up plausible arguments for each and arguing each case into the ground. The end result of a vast amount of effort is likely to be some virtually useless agreement somewhere just short of the 28.8 mark.

Where it would work is if a mandatory standard were set at European level for the entire union. Unfortunately with the state of things in the incoming countries it is unlikely that any standard set at that level would reflect real progress for us.

At the end of the day, the "S" in USO is the most important angle. And it is impossible to force a "Service" mentality on any organisation from without. This is especially so in the case of an organisation which derives its Service ethic from an amalgam of "new york vulture capitalists" and "Dept. of P&T"

Your sentiments are laudable, but realistically is there any chance of a USO being worth the paper its written on?

Just tried to dl the report but the WDC site is down. Perhaps they turn it off at night to save on the electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

There was even a report on TV3 yesterday about how business' were mislead by the IDA's claim of widespread broadband rollout in the West. Because of the huge costs, companies are being forced to relocate to Dublin or even worse, abroad.

Advertisement