Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top speed crashes

Options
  • 17-12-2002 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

There is a thread in this forum about top speeds that you have done. But what is the top speed at which you have crashed at, or for that the lowest speed. As i haven't crashed yet (provisional for 2 years), I'd like to know what type of injuries you might get when you hit a ditch going at 60mph.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I hit some guy side-on at just under 30mph. Wrote off his 88 micra. Did €800 worth of damage to my punto. There were no injuries except to my insurance premium :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

A friend of mine wrote off her BMW 318 in a ditch at 70mph... tried to go around a country bend that was usally grand but had a bit of gravel down on it that day... was 3 other people in the car, all had their safety belts on thank god, and nobody was injured in the slightest (bar two bruises from the girl in the passenger seat). And thats extremely lucky... the car ended up 2 metres down below the road in the ditch on its side.

I've never been in a crash bar avoiding a truck in dublin port that pulled out in front of me, had to put half the car up on the path at around 50mph and barely got down onto the road again before a large lamppost. Only damage was a smashed hubcap, pretty scary tho all the same.. as I was only about 5 metres away from the post, and thats nothing at that speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I think that this thread may be pushing the bounds of taste/decency but.....

I crashed my Vauxhall Nova (Opel Corsa to you guys) head-on into a dry stone wall doing about 40. You do not ever want to crash at a higher speed than this, trust me!

The seat-belt mountings (always wear 'em kids) were bent forward about an inch and a half, my nose was smashed to sh*t thanks to the Momo steering wheel, I cracked 2 ribs and had extensive bruising to my whole torso. Oh, and I tore the muscles in the back of my neck requiring physio.

Anyone who spins you a yarn along the lines of "I hit a truck head on doing 60 and was in the pub laughing about it half an hour later" is talking crap.

I managed to salvage the car, ironically- pulled the chassis near straight on a jig, fitted new drivers side wing, replaced rad and oil filter and welded on a new front valance.....fresh bonnet....blah.... 'Twas ugly but ran a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Well, I've gone out of control avoiding a cow wandering on the road at about 40mph - car ended up on it's side after running up a ditch and hitting a tree.

Had the misfortune of being caught at the end of a 4 car pile up at about 40-50mph. The third car (which caused the accident) was written off - my car suffered €1600 of damage, and insurance went up to scary levels, with the result I couldn't afford to renew it for 6 months.

Yesterday, I had a very close call after I came around a bend in the road to meet a car in my path overtaking a bulldozer - very scary - panic braked from 70mph and the car started skidding all over the place - it was just sheer luck that I didn't hit anything. Idiots who overtake withing 50m of a bend should be locked up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Not a crash but very close call.....
    65mph into a (tight) wet bend in a 520i Beemer, aquaplaned, up into the ditch, rounded the bend while in it, back out onto the road and continued on our merry way!!!! Thankfully the chap that was drivin had some sense to go with it and not brake or try anything thick! A few days later Carlow County Council errected tight bend signs on the bend! Hehe, must have spied the tire marks have way up the ditch!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Chimaera
    Yesterday, I had a very close call after I came around a bend in the road to meet a car in my path overtaking a bulldozer - very scary - panic braked from 70mph and the car started skidding all over the place - it was just sheer luck that I didn't hit anything. Idiots who overtake withing 50m of a bend should be locked up :mad:

You learned your lesson yet then? Or you still drive fast around hidden bends? Country roads are becoming bloody damn hazardous these days.. joggers, animals/dogs without leashs, I've even come across someone pushing a pram down one of dodgiest roads in Kildare, about a mile from the nearest house!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Chimaera
    Idiots who overtake withing 50m of a bend should be locked up :mad:

yea, the closest time I've come to have a big crash was when some person (women, i dont know?) tried to overtake a trucker just before a S bend on a country road in the back of blanchardstown at night??? That gota be the biggest fright I ever got. I went around the s bend only to be confronted with a 18wheeler truck on my right and some twat in my lane with their headlights beaming straight towards me. I swearved into the bushes on the left and just... dont ask me how... got through without hitting him. Some ppl can do some really stupid things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Bounced into the back of a bloke at about 15mph. Mine needed new bonnet (kinked) and his needed to be pulled straight as I had the misfortune of running into the back of a Suzuki swift! Caught my rear quarter panel on a wall that I was swerving away from at about 45mph and had to have that replaced as well. Took my eyes of the road for about 2 seconds to switch on my fog lights, girlfriend screams, I look up and there's a wall in front of me. Scary. The scariest near miss was coming down quite a steep windy hill at about 35/40 one morning in the pissing rain when I realised the bend I was in doubled back on itself. I remember thinking "If I brake, I skid like fu*k, if I dont I go off the edge". I braked and bounced for about 50 yards from left to right and barely missed a tree that would have written the car off.

Advertisement