Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap - New Service?

Options
  • 17-12-2002 3:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Leap seems to have redesigned its web page http://www.leap.ie

Interestingly on the front page it says:
    " Speeds from 128Kbs to 2MBs, upgradable with a phone call"

Now since Leaps current offerings only range from 512Kbs to 1MBs at the moment, does this mean Leap has some interesting new offerings on the way, maybe to compete with EsatBT new offering and IBB? I certainly hope so, a little competition would be great.

If only all these companies would start offering these great offerings on the North side of Dublin. A while back some one mentioned a rumour that Leap was getting ready to launch in D9, any news on this?

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lookout

Hey Brian,

Are you working for Leap or something? The Web site looks the same as ever.

If you are trying some clever marketing ploy by arousing suspicion about a new service soon to be offered then you are wasting your time.

Of coarse if the offering is something like 512k-786k for about 30EURO a month then people might be interested, otherwise, naw.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Are you working for Leap or something?

Nope, I'm sure Devore can confirm that from my IP address and anyway he would never stand for such disgusting marketing practices here on boards.

In fact I work at the same company as Xian from the IOFFL committee (Yes Xian I have finally started posting on boards), and our company has nothing to do with broadband other then we use a lot of it :)
    The Web site looks the same as ever.

Well I haven't visited the site in a while and it has changed since then. I visisted the site after reading about IBB's new site in another thread and wanted to see if there where any new developments.
    If you are trying some clever marketing ploy by arousing suspicion about a new service soon to be offered then you are wasting your time.

I only quoted exactly what is on their homepage and was wondering if maybe they where getting ready to launch a new, 128K - 256K service to compete with IBB and EsatBTs 256K - E60 ADSL service or perhaps even drop their 512K rates, since IBB offer much cheaper rates for the same service in almost the same areas (they are now both on the RTE mast according to other posts on boards)

BTW Lookout why would I ask if Leap are coming to D9 if I worked for them, surely I would know?

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lookout

BTW Lookout why would I ask if Leap are coming to D9 if I worked for them, surely I would know?
    Please see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by bk
    since IBB offer much cheaper rates for the same service in almost the same areas (they are now both on the RTE mast according to other posts on boards)

Brian

I hope he;s not pimping IBB, we get quite enuff of that going on in here :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Did you phone them up? Either they are offering something new or they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

They seem to be, acording to the website, but they don't have a price of the 2MB package in their online brochure. It's gonna be blinkin' expensive though, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Sometime in the last 12 weeks
    New: testimonials, speed comparisons, differentiated business offerings.
    Design revamped but still irritating - can the flashing messages be junked Rory?
    Soho offering no change as far as I can see...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I got a call from them during the week. The guy I was talking to says they now have a transmitter (my word, can't remember what he callled it) on the RTE mast and can now offer the service to a wider area. He says they will also be installing on Three Rock Mountain early in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by oisin
    on the RTE mast and can now offer the service to a wider area. He says they will also be installing on Three Rock Mountain early in the new year.

well woptiedoo, IBB have the exact same setup ? WTF are these companies ignoring everyone else in dublin, ie, NORTH DUBLIN ????? and putting all their resources into donnybrook

Oh leap, you forgot sandyford .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

" Speeds from 128Kbs to 2MBs, upgradable with a phone call"
    they've had that on their website for months. I even wrote to them over 3 months ago asking about a 256k service, but they don't do one. They just advertise it.
    Greg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by ando
    Oh leap, you forgot sandyford .....

Hehe True that the wireless companies are neglecting the north of the city, but according to IBB's site they do say that they intend to expand to cover other areas of the city (and other areas of the country too, depending on demand or something) so hopefully it's only a matter of time that Leap etc start offering services north of the Liffey.

IBB are based in Sandyford so presumably the transmitter for Sandyford is on the building they are in. That might explain why Leap don't have an offering there :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Serbian

(and other areas of the country too, depending on demand or something)

Yes it would be nice if they gave some way of registering your interest on their website, I know that there are many people in my area that would be very interested.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by bk
    Yes it would be nice if they gave some way of registering your interest on their website, I know that there are many people in my area that would be very interested.

More than nice, it'd make sense from their business perspective to know areas where interest was highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Certainly doesn't make sense to me for two competing companies plying their wares in the same spots, ignoring the rest of Dublin :)

Imagine having 3 or 4 Mcdonalds restaurants and a corresponding number of Burger King ones, all in say.. Tallaght, with nothing else in Dublin?

Silly :)

Let's hope they get a move on...

[edit]
    Afterthought: Which would be which? IBB = McD's, Leap = Burger King?
    Leap are certainly more expensive, but IBB seem to have longer queues... that's not to say Leap offer a superior product, I've only heard good about the connections people who have actually managed to get IBB are getting. Then again, it's new and there aren't a lot of users to sap the bandwidth yet I guess :)

zynaps

Advertisement