Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User space disappearing

Options
  • 17-12-2002 5:36pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I have a user here that although he has nothing on his network drive, his space is disappearing. I think it has something to do with the temp files created when sending an e-mail. They don't seem to be deleted. How do you locate these files or anyone else have a solution to my problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Unless his TEMP folder is set to write to his network drive, it won't be that. Normally temporary files carry one of the following extensions:

*.tmp
    *.~mp
    ~*.tmp

Usually, the temp folder is created at the root level of your primary partition.

Do a search with these strings, select all, and delete. If you say there's nothing on his network drive, have you set his network drive to be a minimum/maximum size?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You're not using a database are you? Does it have any relavence to your thread on the Mac board?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The mail server is creating temp files somewhere but they are not labled .tmp or anything like that. Because he kept running out of space, we gave him unlimited space and now his online drive is getting bigger and bigger, even though novell says that there is nothing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If he has little or nothing on it, copy all his files off, delete the drive, and create him some new user space. Then give him a smack on the head and tell him to use a decent mail client.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

In novell are you looking at user space limits on the volume? Maybe the space hes using is not in his home directory but in some other folder?

• Advertisement

that's what i'm saying, the space is in the mail folder, but where I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Compacting his mail files/folder might do the trick

I deleted his mail profile rebuilt the system and still no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Netware or Windows NT or somthing else?
    Is your explorer set to see hidden and system files?
    Does his folder appear to use up space on the fileserver?

Advertisement