Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should lights be on all the time?

Options
  • 17-12-2002 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

In Sweden where they're usually ahead of the game on road safety
    cars show thier side lights the moment the key is turned by law.

I'm strongly in favour of the government here making it maditory for all cars to be fitted-out in the same fashion, I'm sure winter or summer bright or overcast you'll stand a better chance of no being killed if the other road users can fix you in thier sights a split second earlier. This measure would cost nothing to speak of either as new imports would be manufactured with light-on in mind and retro-fitting exsisting cars would be cheap.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The local authorities in Dublin (and elsewhere) have been drivers to always have their lights on, no matter what time of day, to improve visibility... - all as part of their "Be Safe - Be Seen!" campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah, that was heavily plugged during the smmer on radio and TV, even calling in the "talent" of David Norris (massive advertising buget). Since the advertising has died off though, the whole lights on thing has suffered a steady decline in the numbers. Hardly anyone does it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I have them on 90% of the time - it's pretty much automatic for me to turn them on (except when I forget, hence the missing 10%)

It's bloody useful to be able to see someone coming towards you when they have their lights on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I work off the principle of, if it dulls over then sidelights go on. When it is bright daylight in summer, you cant see the damn things anyway, so for me, theres no point in those circumstances. Also, lights on all the time mean slightly higher fuel consumption, meaning more money into the pockets of an industry that controls the planet and is squeezing it dry of it's natural resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I usually keep dipped headlights on, whatever the weather. The car I drive is roughly the same colour as tarmac and is more or less invisible from any kind of distance without the lights on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Always have my lights on except when i am not in the car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Have the parks or dipped beam on driving during the dull days.

What amazes me is the ppl who don't switch on their lights coming home from work these dark evenings, there should be an on-the-spot fine or something for these ppl after a certain hour in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Kell
    Also, lights on all the time mean slightly higher fuel consumption, meaning more money into the pockets of an industry that controls the planet and is squeezing it dry of it's natural resources.

When the Authoritays were promoting this during the summer they produced afigure like 7c/100 miles of driving to power dipped headlights. I think this was backed up by the AA but can't be sure - and currently no time to verify.

I drivve with headlights on all the time, part of the feature of a SAAB is to do this, well it's the law in Scandanavian countires, where it has been shown o reduce accident figures.

BTW Kells, as far as I understand it side lights should only be for parking, if you need lights, you need headlights. But I'm open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Borzoi- I wasnt really pointing out an issue with having the lights on at all, just pointing out my distaste with petrol companies.

To clarify my bit on side lights- at this time of the year, as soon as it hits 3ish on go the dipped lights. Same anytime of the year when it gets mildly dark. I reckon that if you can see your dipped beams off the car in front of you then they should be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i've noticed less and less ppl with lights on since the campaign died. I used to keep my lights on all the time, now I only do it when I'm in a hurry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

I have my lights on most of the time but it seems alot of people believe in lights 'to see' rather then 'to be seen'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd have to agree that having Side-lights on permenantly would be a big help.

They would help to improve overal car visibility but more importantly it will ensure that maniacs who forget to switch on their lights at dawn or dusk are still visible to other deivers and pedestrians.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Personally, it annoys the hell out of me when I'm driving and the visibility is fine yet every goon coming towards you is lit up like a Christmas tree.

That said, I have perfect vision and my eyes are pretty sensitive to light.

It's kinda funny as well that it gets endorsed even though it reduces fuel ecomomy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I agree, parking lights should be on all the time.
    I use to believe that it was illegal to have dipped headlights lights on b4 dusk, can anyone clear this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I used to believe that it was illegal to have dipped headlights lights on b4 dusk

Never heard of that one! I wonder what the reason would be...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

To the best of my knowledge, the law only requires that you have your dipped headlights on between dusk and dawn, and that foglights are only to be used when visibility is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Dunno about cars, but being a biker, i have my lights on all of the time, full beam if neccessary. Mostly due to the large number of morons who drive cars (present company excluded) who think that mirrors are a novelty.
    I'd rather not end up t-boning some pr1ck who decided that he was turning right cos he couldnt see a large car shaped object in his rear mirror. This way, he gets blinded, stops, and i can pass semi-safely, with only a slight chance he'll get pissed and run me over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why do people have (foglights) on all the time?

Coz Dave they're idiots of the highest order, you'd never guess there was light on the dash to alert folk. Most nights I see someone displaying there back end in red-lit glory.

Then there are those idiots driving round with a headlamp bust and its nearly always the off-side one to boot! Grrrrrrr. :mad:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

what i have noticed since summer is that alot of drivers including myself put on headlights in rain/dull conditions in daytime which i think is a good thing as visibility does be low during those occasions.
    What annoys me at nighttime is some drivers headlights do have a very strong beam (not foglights), they do be lit up like xmas trees in built up areas and can dazzle me :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement