Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameNET

• 17-12-2002 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

does anyone remember GAMENET?

the dial-up games server, it was around about 5 or 6 years ago, did anyone here use it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

surely im not the only dinosaur here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Not by any measure or means - but GameNET still doesn't ring any bells I'm afraid! At that stage... It would have been a contemporary of Wireplay, right? Was it a UK thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

no it was a small dun laoghaire based server, you subscribed on a monthly basis, dialed into it with its own software (fairly basic dos like software), you could chat on it, and then play up to 4 player games like doom, doom2 etc

doom (shareware) came with the software, but we started to play games like virtual pool, nascar, and duke3d on it, it was fukkin brilliant fun, someone should start another one up with limited users for games like half life, gta2 etc....kingpin blah blah

cos u had good bandwitch with a 28.8 modem at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i remember it.
    it was like a BBS - you dialled into it and played doom/hexen/heretic.
    I was Olddog.
    man thats going back a while.
    5/6 years ago?
    lol - try 7/8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

still, it sounded like alot of fun for the time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

12 years on from the original post; yes, I remember it vividly! :)

I was a tester with them, which meant they waved the £100 membership fee for me (but we still had to pay per phone call back then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A thread from 2002 talking about technology from 1996 :pac: I feel old :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    A thread from 2002 talking about technology from 1996 :pac: I feel old :(

Right on, man :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement