Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best single player game

Options
  • 19-01-2000 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, since my net connection has gone to f uck recently, i thought i might invest in a normal ol boring single player game
    what games do yis recomend?
    i dont really want one that once its completed you will never go back sort f thing. i love civ2 coz you can always play a different game, but after too many years its gotten a bit stale..and stuff like tomb raider is completed in a matter of days and never played again...so....what do yis think?

and no its not a 10 ten fav games ever...looking for fun and longevity, not fancy graphics etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

C&C red alert did it for me.

Bots for quake !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

starfleet Command, every time you play its different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

AOK but you already know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

To be honest, (and ppl will disagree because it doesnt make sense) i thought Final Fantasy 7 was not only the best and the longest game ive ever played, but also the most replayable smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Elite or Final Frontier for that matter.

I'm currently looking for Final Frontier but I can't seem to find it anywhere (a mac version would be great).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

I recently invested in a copy of system shock 2,and i must say its one of the best games iv ever played,its genuinely frightening and has a very good plot,its my second favourite game after the magnificent 7.

con

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Pat speaks the truth, System Shock 2 is brilliant, but you've had that in your room for about four months now Eamo tongue.gif

In terms of continual replayability, I recommend Alpha Centauri, its the spiders ankles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Just download a good SNES emulator (snes9x), there's tons of great games for it.
    Mario World, Metal Marines to name just two...
    Loadsa' fun smile.gif
    And free in a dod*** sort of way... *ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i have baulders gate and i plan on gettig the expansion pak(s), so that will keep me occupied. actually ibve had it for about 6 months, but deleted it offa my system after about 4 weeks coz its 3 gig!
    may reinstall.
    sysstem shock 2 i will reinstall as well.
    im not a big fan of real time with the exception of age of kings.
    maybe a footie manager game or something
    also, ff7 is only 20 lids now, so i might buy that, although i did play about a 100 hours on th playstation.
    i dont like emulators. too hard to get wrking.i used to have a snes one, but i couldnt remap the keys, so it was a bit awkward!
    hobbes, what was that laser squad game you mentioned that is on the pc. is it still available and is it any cop?

Zsnes is better Dead{o}Santa

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 20-01-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I won't argue with that smile.gif
    ZSNES rox way more, but snes9x just came to mind first....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Anyone who hasn't played Thief should.
    as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

BALDS GATE IS ON DVD FOR 15 SQUID NOW ,SO PROBABALLY TAKES UP LESS HARD DRIVE SPACE.
    SAW GRIM FANDANGO FOE 10 SQUID IN VIRGIN.

Freespace 2 is pretty good aswell

"Respect my Authoratai"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I liked X-Wing Alliance a lot - good storyline and good fun smile.gif Though it'll be **** if you hate star wars/space combat sims...

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

too right! If you like going against cap. ships play the last couple of levels of X-Wing alliance(lotsa stardestroyers smile.gif)

"Respect my Authoratai"

www.firstones.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My poor ol' P200 can't handle all those capital ships too well, but otherwise it works well with the graphics detail and effects turned down a bit...

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'd give the nod to an RPG of some sort... Final Fantasy (6, 7, 8 - can't choose between 'em!) or Chrono Trigger... Possibly Xenogears. Chrono Cross looks like being absolutely stunning in the extreme, can't wait to get that on import from the States. System Shock 2 is very, very good, but it moves too slowly and is too damned hard for my liking.

Strategy is always good too... C&C Red Alert rocked, as did Dark Reign. Total Annihilation singleplayer was OK, although tbh I thought the game sucked donkeys in general.

Ja,
    Rob

I hated that level in Thief, and like yourself, never got past it.

The earlier ones were cool... the whole sneaking around thing rocked. Then they gave us a level with stupid f**king dinosaurs and sh1t... Turned it into yet another mindless shoot'em'up. Bah.

Ja,
    Rob

huh?
    how do you know, you never got there smile.gif
    gotcha!

• Advertisement

hmm thief..yeah.
    i ahve it but could never get past the hammer level whith all th undead where you start in the graveyard. think its level 5 or 6
    damn bloody hard game. specially for someone who plays toomany shoot em ups

learn patience my son....and no, you wont kill someone with one arrow every time and they will call for help and before you know it youre runnin all over the place gettin lost with 12 zombies and 50 hammers on yer bum!

which reminds me, time to raid conors room for games again smile.gif
    you can have your dungeon keeper2 and tiberian sun back as well.
    iwill get into system shock when i ahve the time

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yeah, the zombie levels weren't my favorites.
    Its worth persevering though.
    Thief 2 should be out this year. There's a big enjoyable demo available but its a hefty download. Time for a dump, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

metal gear solid
    zelda 64
    jet forc gemini
    sorry to be a consolehead but...there it is
    halflife aswell oc

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

Get this Months PCG as I hear there's loads of those extra levels for Half Life.

I loved playing Hidden & Dangerous and I replayed it quite a bit.

VENI VIDI VICI

[This message has been edited by SPACE COWBOY (edited 23-01-2000).]

How do I know what, I never got where?

Eh?

Sorry Eamo, your humour is going over my head again... I should know better than to try to comprehend these things, it hurts my brain...

tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Pat Kenny, Grim Fandango for £10 , nice one. Is it in the mega store>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Championship MAnager 2, or if you really like football or if you really like statistics, Championship MAnager 3. Also Sim City 3000. AAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhhh, hours of endless brain massaging.

Advertisement