Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom hispeed questions.

Options
  • 17-12-2002 11:32pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im very close to signing upfor Eircom hi-speed.
    Ive asked in other threads but would like as much info as possible.
    For 4 years now im on 56k and am lucky to get a ping of 300 on most servers and most games.
    Im thinking of accessing via nolimits which i hear will give me a speed of 64kpbs.
    What is isdn like for games ?
    Will i definitely get pings around the 100 mark?
    Also when i asked an eircom bloke on the phone today he assured me that i can drop hi-speed if im not happy,is this the case ?
    I know its no dsl but compared to 56k for gaming willi see a big difference ,note: i mostly use uk servers.
    Sorry if these questions sound dumb but i simply dont know enough about the subject .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Dcully
    Im very close to signing upfor Eircom hi-speed.
    Ive asked in other threads but would like as much info as possible.
    For 4 years now im on 56k and am lucky to get a ping of 300 on most servers and most games.
    Im thinking of accessing via nolimits which i hear will give me a speed of 64kpbs.
    What is isdn like for games ?
    Will i definitely get pings around the 100 mark?
    Also when i asked an eircom bloke on the phone today he assured me that i can drop hi-speed if im not happy,is this the case ?
    I know its no dsl but compared to 56k for gaming willi see a big difference ,note: i mostly use uk servers.
    Sorry if these questions sound dumb but i simply dont know enough about the subject .

Hi dcully,

If your getting Isdn, i recommend you get the Asus Internal ISDN modem (terminal adapter). Its going for £30 sterling (very cheap) and is one of the most reliable and best for gaming online. Pings depend on the ISP you use. For instance, with eircom I can get pings of 40ms in game to barrysworld (docklands, london) but with other ISP's the pings can be anything like 70 to 140+ ....

I recommend you get isdn as it only takes about 5 seconds to connect to the internet most times. If dsl or cable or wireless is not avail in your area, then go for it. I have isdn and use UtvIP. My bills are around €65 a month for 150hours of ISDN glory :)

Dont under any circumstances buy the modem eircom offer you when you order isdn... its utter crap, so I've heard :) ..... Also, dont buy any external ISDN modem's, they suck at pings and gaming. Better off with an internal

Here's a link to the ISDN Asus modem I was talking about earlier:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_ISDN_Cards___Modems_50.html

That is the exact link were I bought my Asus a couple of months ago. (Asus ISDNLink P-IN100-ST-D 128K ISDN Adapter )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

aren't eircom doing the eicon diva now? or was that a rumour?
    either way i wouldnt buy it from them. They'd prob rip you off.

I got eicon diva and am very happy with it.

ISDN is great for gaming and nice if you like slightly faster dloads.

As Ando says, like 56k, it depends very much on your isp what ping you get.

That said, your ping will be much better than on 56k. Especially to jolt/bw servers. I usually get a dos ping of about 40 to em.

I've never heard of this offer from Eircom about dropping it. (for free ne way). Have always heard it costs €100 or so to drop it as people have to drop it to get dsl. (or used to.)
    I'd get your man to clarify that any way

Hope you are getting it for a decent game and not that cs muck :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Asus is meant to get you a lower ping, Diva Eicon supposedly gives you a more stable ping, personally I would reccomend the Eicon Diva ISDN Card i get a v.nice ping with it.

Advertisement