Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American nutter protesting against the new Lord of the Rings

• 17-12-2002 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.twotowersprotest.org/faq.htm

Some people should just not be allowed near computers. This lot are protesting and boycotting in an attempt to get The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers renamed because "The name of this movie will undoubtedly cause a return of the emotions felt on Sept 11th which left so many people in the nation feeling stunned and in a state of shock."

But the best part is "The movie is intentionally being named The Two Towers in order to capitalize on the tragedy of September 11." Personally I think it's a shame that Tolkien had to stop to the depts of naming his book to capitilise on an event that was going to happen in 50 years time.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

What a crock of ****! Peter jackson already stated he wouldn't change the name months ago saying "The fans would kill me". I'm thinking this site is complete bull**** and simply the work of a single American white trash loony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The problem is the internet gives these types of weridos the means to voice their crap. This Anti LOTR guys are pretty pathetic. Let me guess they think America is great and inside every small person is a fat idiotic american trying to get out

And it has been over a year yanks. Are you awake to the world yet? You are as vunerable as the rest of us. American hereos do not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

its people like this that make you re-think the right to free speech...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

After reading that i had to email them. i await their response.
    “We believe that Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema's actions are in fact hate speech. The movie is intentionally being named The Two Towers in order to capitalize on the tragedy of September 11. Clearly, you cannot deny the fact that this falls under hate speech. We believe that if they will not willingly change the name, the government should step in to stop the movie's production or to force a name change.”

That is from your F.A.Q page. Now its time to highlight a small, but important fact that doesn’t seem to factor into your reasoning.

The film is called The Two Towers because it is based on a 50 year old book that amazingly is called The Two Towers which also bears absolutely no relevance the events of September 11th 2001. In 1954 the book was called The Two Towers, in 1999 when filming began on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy it was still called The Two Towers and, shock horror on 10th September 2001 a day before the words “Twin Towers” as opposed to "Two Towers” were etched on the consciousness of America it was still called The Two Towers. These facts would lead anyone with the slightest semblance of intelligence to believe that it infact is not cash in on 9/11 but…….wait for it, this might be a bombshell………….oooooo the suspense is killing me…………….. the title to one of the 20th century’s greatest works of imaginative fiction and not some insidious plot by Al-Queda to crush Americans spirit!

Good luck in any further campaigns you feel the need to support. Let's hope they are a little better thought out that this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I hope you didn't send it from your main mail address, cos you're probably gonna be put at the top of a load of mailing lists for bing guilty of "hate crimes towards the united states";P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Disco, I hope you've updated your anti-virus/bug software
    these nutters are often geeky propellorheads too!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Lets see, Firewall - Check, Anti Virus - Check, Spam Filter - Check, Every know security patch for xp - Check should be reasonably ok. Better turn off VNC though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This site has been around a while, and it's a pretty poor hoax from what I've seen.

nutters

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

defo a hoax, and sooo old :)

still funny though.. i wonder if there are actually a few serious responses on that page

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nice email, DiscoStu! ROFL!
    These facts would lead anyone with the slightest semblance of intelligence to believe that it infact is not cash in on 9/11 but…….wait for it, this might be a bombshell………….oooooo the suspense is killing me…………….. the title to one of the 20th century’s greatest works of imaginative fiction

Hilarious! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Do you people seriously think you'll be successful?

We most certainly do. Several of our members were already successful at making 20th Century Fox delay the movie "Phone Booth" due to the Maryland sniper attacks.

Its just another reason to glorify american unity. If the film was actually about sep 11 they would be praising it and urging everyone to go see it, they fukd up me thinks.
    work of a single American white trash loony

Hey, that hurts i'm white, if this was america i could sue you and have your ass annihilated by your burly prison companion renown for his well earned pseudonym Shag Rag.

How about renaming it " The Towers twofold" or "Shut the fuk up you stupid gobsheens, no other nation protests when an american company makes a film on a particular historical event and ridicules the people and somehow america/or an american is always the hero regardless of where/when it is set"

I like the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yes the twin towers was tragice but most of those people had insurances that paid out to family.

10 children in refuge camps died when the temp dropped to - 15.
    They were all under the age of 5.
    Thier families homes were destroyed in the bombing by the USA and over a year later they were still living in tents.

The familes would have huddled up to keep warm only to wake and find thier child cold , stiff and dead.

in the face of thse fact how the f u c k can they claim that money be give to the 9/11 charity and not these people ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

cause there not americans and deserve their fate! No thats not my opinion but the feeling i get from yanks most of the time. Yester day in work i heard an american hick give out about all the black people now this is a direct quote " we give em money, we give em aid, and now we have to give em a job "

Lets rename the film Titanic to the boat that sank, or not make the film at all as it upsets me and i dont even rember when it happened. How could they glamourise an eqally bad tradgady. Picture it 90 years from now Leo sdi capo telling some girl he loves her as he goes down on the top of the north tower!

The world is always gona be full of these nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Spoof, hoax, or genuine nutter?

Who cares.

It wasnt even funny the first time.

As for people who shouldnt be let near computers...what about those who take this sh1t seriously?

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

what about those who take this sh1t seriously?
    Shoot them aswell, anyone stupid enough to take something like this seriously should be put out of their misery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by LoGiE
    What a crock of ****!

Well said LoGiE!!
    These people really haven't got a clue!!

They want Peter Jackson to change the name because some terrorists blew up buildings on American soil. What if the Americans had done it to some Arab buildings. Would they be saying the same thing. I doubt it. Patriotic gob****s. As Michael Moores Bowling for Columbia showed the Americans are all screwed up fools. Especially George Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Now they're protesting at the name of "The Return of the King" :D

http://www.theofficersclub.com/rotkpo/

Gandalf

of course I do realise that this site is a parody of the Two Towers one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by LoGiE
    What a crock of ****! Peter jackson already stated he wouldn't change the name months ago saying "The fans would kill me". I'm thinking this site is complete bull**** and simply the work of a single American white trash loony.

hell I would have hunted him down and hurt him lots, ****ing muppets, renaming a masterpice. American asswipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by gandalf
    Now they're protesting at the name of "The Return of the King" :D

http://www.theofficersclub.com/rotkpo/

Gandalf

of course I do realise that this site is a parody of the Two Towers one

omg, thats all I can say, OMFG!!!!

oh and I emailed them for the laugh, if I get I reply I will post it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

[camp voice]OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD[camp voice]
    I cant believe they are bringing Elvis back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah it must be a fake.

Either that or any chance to get a quick buck or a 15 minute of fame :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Humpf, my tall brother and I won't even stand next to each other out of respect.

That Tolkien chap must have a real bug up his ass - supporting Al-Quaeda and all as he oh so obviously does.

Bring him to America for warcrimes I say! Ban him from writing more terrorist-loving blasphemous books.

Advertisement