Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Network???

• 18-12-2002 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Which do you think is best

Which Network is overall best. 33 votes

085 Meteor
    0% 0 votes
    086 O2
    27% 9 votes
    087 Vodaphone
    72% 24 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I can't believe anyone thinks Meteor is the best. I've been driven demented trying to ring 085 numbers because the coverage is so bad and I know at least 6 people who have moved to vodafone after using up their massive amount of call credit on new Meteor Pre-Pay phones.

I was with Digifone and then moved to Vodafone after 3 years. I have to say coverage for both is about the same but Customer Services with Vodafone is a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

3 votes so far for meteor? Seriously, how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

those who voted for meteor: explain yourselves!!!!!!!

Ape

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I moved from O2 to Vodafone for two reasons: a) I wanted to upgrade my handset and O2 weren't able to provide the one I wanted; and b) because network coverage in my home was absolutely atrocious, and I was working from home. I think they went down the toilet when O2 bought them, and my hatred of all things Eircom no longer applied when Vodafone bought Eircell out. So I told them to screw themselves. I still have the SIM, but not for much longer.

Pity really, Digifone was a great company.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I haven't voted because the poll is a generic 'who's better', but altho Meteor's coverage is poor - even in Dub, they work out cheapest in terms of monthly billing. I'm not an high user but if it wasn't for the fact I used the Internet at home, it would be much cheaper for me to lose the eircom landline.

Incidentally, it's not more than 45c to call nearly anywhere in the world, including mobiles, from a Meteor phone.

eg; daytime cost of 1 min to any mobile in Australia
    Meteor 45c
    eircom landline 85c

These stats are taken from both companies websites.

Makes eircom's claim that making calls from your mobile is up to 8 times more expensive than your landline a bit far-fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭okonski

It might be taken more seriously if VodaFONE was spelt correctly! Pedantry aside - Meteor has a few major benefits, and if you don;t have coverage issues (and I don't really!) their running well under their capacity design, so connections are fault free and if a call is dialled it gets through first time without a hassle. I use a twin-SIM to toggle between networks as a safety measure, but to be honest I haven't needed to switch, as Metwor has always been there when I wanted it. The lower price of SMS's etc and calls to NI and the UK make it a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chico_2002

Originally posted by okonski
    I haven't needed to switch, as Metwor has always been there when I wanted it. The lower price of SMS's etc and calls to NI and the UK make it a winner.

It might be taken more seriously if you spell Meteor correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I think they went down the toilet when O2 bought them,Pity really, Digifone was a great company.

adam

O2 never bought digifone, digifone was owned by bt long before O2 ever existed, O2 is just the spinoff BT created when it floated all its cell fone companies.

i've never had a problem with O2 customer support i must say, but then i rarely ring their main number, i use some other tech number they gave me once, don't think i've ever had a que with it for service. As fer handsets, i haven't notice them lag behind, i've a 7650 which i didn't get through upgrade but i got it long before either network had it so thats that i suppose, other than that not a huge difference between O2 and vodafone, but i use alot of GPRS so O2 is deff winner on that account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Is it just me or does no-one out there notice the atrocious prices for Vodafone's Ready-to-Go service in comparision to O2's?

It's driven me over the wall, and I'm only waiting on my (free) 3650 from nokiagame to change as my 3330 is currently locked to 087.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

i voted vodafone, they seem to have the best coverage and seen as the majority of people i call are vodafone, i save.

1 thing though, i have absolute dismal reception in my estate! other than that its ok. I wouldnt mind, but im right beside the city :(

still overall vodafone has my backing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

for pre-pay (ready to go, speakeasy) O2 is the best.

for bill Phones Vodafone seem to be the best.

i have had no experience with meteor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by mirv
    Is it just me or does no-one out there notice the atrocious prices for Vodafone's Ready-to-Go service in comparision to O2's?
    B]

Yeh I know! I'm on vodafone and some of my mates are using O2, I couldn't believe how much difference there was especially in the text messages. Vodafone charge 13c per text message, O2 charge, what, 9c on-peak and 6c off? Considering most of my money goes on text messages I should probably switch networks. In fact it'll be one of my New Year resolutions, let's hope I can't keep my number...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i'm changing to O2 this week because of Vodafones terrible prices for text messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Gwan teh meteorrrrrr!!!! :p

Seriously, not a bad aul network at all. Get grand coverage everywhere I go.

Was with 02 and Eircell b4 and thought that both were equal networks with meteor a close 2nd nowadays.

Meteors SMS's are quite fast mind you, the others were the opposite with all those frickin message center numbers. (You might get a delivery report from an SMS you sent a week earlier). Sont know what they're like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Meteor are crap!!

I'm sick of telling one of my mates to change back to 087.
    Everytime I ring him I get an out of coverage message. And when I text him I reckon it takes him about 10min or more to actually receive it.

They might be real cheap to operate, but the network coverage is $h!te.

I'm with Vodafone (correct spelling by the way) and haven't had any complaints yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The'real'Guvnor

I have a mate / biz partner on meteor and I am on 087.
    I call him a lot and the reception is perfect, never had a problem.
    I will be getting a 2nd phone after x-mas and 085 as 085-085 is 9c per min anytime which means it will cut my bill down big time. He is off limits in Sligo but Dublin and 70-100 miles either side is fine.

Do O2 have better package deals for pay later than Vodafone?

Looking to shave as much off my 2-300 euro monthly bill without speaking less! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi Lads

I have an 085, 086, and 087 all on pre pay.

I have found meteor to be the best network by far.
    Coverage will build up in time i remember buying my dad an 086 contract back in 1997 when they started and they were patchy.

All my SIMs are active (087 data, 086 work and friends 085 just friends.)

Vodafone CS is good but you can in the que for a while.
    O2 CS is ok but it cost money to call them.
    Meteor is very quick to pickup and free.

Meteor staff know there stuff and are quick to respond.

If i was to recomend a network to some i would recomend Meteor (If they had coverage in the working living area or else O2)

All the best
    Eóin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I've a post-paid meteor sim, and an active personal 086 and a work 087.

I've had more problems with 086 and 087 than I had with Meteor in Cork, particuarly with the big two networks going flop on Friday evenings.

Where Meteor say they'll give you service, they give you service. Fair enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by zenith
    Where Meteor say they'll give you service, they give you service. Fair enough to me.

me arse.

Despite the claim on their site that they have half the country covered they far from have that much covered. I was in enniskerry yesterday and their was zero reception from meteor and their was reception from all the other netwoks.

They said last christmas that would have Monaghan covered.. it still isnt covered.

When they launched they said that they would have the whole country covered by end of 2002. Another lie...

To answer the question what is Irelands best network... Well, whereever you place o2 and vodafone.. Meteor has to be placed last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

Meteor are good if you're going to be in areas that are covered.
    I live in Wexford town where there is full coverage and go to college in Carlow where I haven't had problems getting a reception.
    Meteor have good usage prices, and it's even free to ring other 085's after 12AM but i'm not sure what time it goes back to normal pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i've been with Digifone for years now,and i've never had a problem with them(just the phones i've had :() Txt's are EXTRA cheap(8c weekends/9c off peak and 13c on peak i think) whereas VodoFone rape their users(and nobody seems to notice)
    Reception in perfect,although the network gets a bit overloaded from time to time.

When i had a Meteor phone,i had no problems with them,good reception,cheap txt's but rubbish handset!

well there is my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

started off with 087, then 086, now 085.

Free txts 24hrs a day with 085's till feb and free calls from 10pm to 8am. Coverage is good where i am and it has really improved. I get coverage on it in remote places that i couldn't with my 086.

Hell they even give ya free credit depending on how long you are with them and how much you spend. To take full advantage of ya need friends who also have 085's.

Vodaphone still have the best quality and best coverage for phone calls, but you pay for it.

o2 is getting pretty ****ed. Something i've experienced myself as well as some other friends who live in different counties. One of the most annoying things was when ya sent a txt from 086 to 087 and more often than not it took years to deliver.

Anyway, so far i've been very pleased with 085's coverage and pricing, little things too like their personal top up card. very handy.

Alo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

My only qualm with meteor is the kwappy coverage in densely thronged areas like pubs and clubs, there is no coverage. Was 086 for two years, with meteor 1 1/2 now but i'm very tempted to switch to vodafone when i get one of those cameras which is infact a phone, marvelous is todays technology, t'is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

My hands go up for vodafone.
    I've been with there service for about a year and have to say that I get excellent coverage.

The downside to these guys is that the website sucks, its by far the most unstable website I've ever visited, everytime you go into account details it fails.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Yeah, the account details used to go down from 8pm til the early hours, but it seems to have got a little better recently (i.e. it doesn't happen every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Meteor were rubbish in Dublin up to 6 months ago. I dont know if that has changed.

I am on vodafone, on o2 up to 3 years ago. o2 were rubbish then. Maybe they have changed, but o2 dont give out upgrades as easily.

Advertisement