Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Two Towers

• 18-12-2002 2:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Right just returned from the Premiere at the Savoy and I'm still pissed (damn Jacobs Creek !!).

All I can say is wow this is one hell of a ride. This film clocks in at over 3 hours but you do not feel it.

I felt that the first 30 - 40 minutes dragged but after that you didn't notice time and when the film drew to the end you found yourself saying "no no end not my precious film!".

Gollum, the CGI looks fantastic and after you get over the fact he is generated is a very good character and is definately the best CGI character that I have seen in a film.

The Ents were "excellent" to quote Dev and well "kicked ass".

The battle of Helms Deep I will not talk about but lets say I'll leave it to you lot to enjoy :)

All I can say is that is that imho it is on par with the first film and in some ways it is better :)

Gandalf (pissed tired but at least I got Bernard Hills autograph to go with Gimli's :))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Yup I'd agree 100% with Gandalf...

Great night and a great film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I hate you all for seeing this film before me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

can't wait to see the movie tonight. :)

but one question. is it true that Shelob (sp) is not in the movie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes she is not in the movie but she is mentioned by Gollum as he plots to do away with Frodo & Sam :)

Bloody Cliffhangers eh ;)

Gandalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, and now we have to wiat a whole year to see how the story finishes!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Gah, I can't prevent myself from highlighting spoilers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

not tremendously impressed with that. it was a quality film alright, but seriously lacked in an effort to WOW me as much as FOTR.

bit of a let down. I'm sure if i watch it again, i'll change my mind....but as it stands......?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to see it tonight in UGC, Parnell Street and tomorrow in the Savoy! That'll keep me out of the pub for two nights in a row!! :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Have my tickets booked for the last few weeks. Off to Ster Century on Friday to see it. Whoop, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

awesome movie better than the 1st imo.

a lot darker as the characters evolve.

damn you peter jackons a whole year to wait :(

tho watching Two Towers made this year fly in doesnt feel like 3 hours.

great movie.

Gimli is great light relief ..hehehehhehehe

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Seeing it tomorrow evening with some friends.

Sounds good.

I mangaed to avoid looking at the spoilers.

At 3 hours in length, I'll just have to make sure that the bladder is well prepared for it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Forgot to mention that Andrea Corr was sitting right opposite us with Bernard Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

the movie starts off with a nice fly by of some snowy mountains then BAMMM
    gandalf fights the Balrog as they fall into the mountain, mad **** ensues
    and then you see frodo and sam then BAMMM
    gullum tries to take the ring from frodo
    ... nice scenery ... wow ... and thats when i got sucked into the movie. totally immersed for the next 2 hours.

cant wait for the next one. i will probably go and see it again in the cinema before its too late.

adnans

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I loved it....

The battle of Helms deep is amazing, Gollum is perfect really...

The highlight for me is the Ents, I'm not going to spoil anything for you but they totally feckin OWN.
    They even surpassed the fight with the Balrog which I was looking forward to and which wasnt as I expected it but was good none-the-less.

Probably it could have been 3 hours of frodo and sam looking at each other and I'd have liked it but those Ents are utterly brilliant and not just their CGI but the hardened attitudes and kick-ass approach to things. minor spoiler:
    Boy can they get angry and f*ck sh*t up!!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

I totally agree, its amazing and some scenes are just excellent. And the special effects are brilliant especially on Gollum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Something about the film just isn't sitting right, I can't explain it. It was still a fantastic film, and I was not even slightly disappointed (okay, maybe once or twice with the CG on Gollum, but that's it). But all the same, I'm not left with a really excited, tingly feeling, like I was with the first one.

I'm reckoning this could be down to the fact that I just wasn't able to absorb it all properly in just one viewing. I've got a ticket booked for tomorrow as well, so I'll find out soon enough whether that's all it is.

I hope that's all it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Wow. What a huge film this is. Even the lowly cineplex of WEXFORD! is fully booked out. Me and my sis decided to go down to watch it and were told it's been booked out for days. Well I never :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to wait till the weekend like everyone else:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by meglome
    Forgot to mention that Andrea Corr was sitting right opposite us with Bernard Hill.

Yeah, well I was the only one who actualy talked to her. :D

Now...
    My jaw literaly dropped numerous times. Now, I do not mean this in a metaforic way whatsoever, I am being very literal here. I can't easily count the times my mouth was wide open in sheer awe. My face only had two expressions the entire night; 1. A huge grin 2. Mouth gaping. It was that good.

I truly can't say enough good things about Gollum! The two personallities Gollum/Smeagol were captured fantastically, and with such amazing sinisterness. And I truly enjoyed the 'Cliffhanger'. :D
    Seriously put a grin on my fave a mile wide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

it has been so many years since i read the books i had forgot about the ents completly. i thought they were tree hugging hippies but when they get going...... Helm's Deep = amazing and gollum was fantastic. brilliant film but then you knew that last year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by the celtic tiger
    not tremendously impressed with that. it was a quality film alright, but seriously lacked in an effort to WOW me as much as FOTR.

I'd agree with that. Obviously I'm not as easily awed as AW there :]

Ok, the battle at Helms Deep:

[FFS!]
    The whole film is building up to this and it was the main reason I wanted to see it. I wanted to see tens of thousands of warriors tearing towards each other battering the bejesus out of everything. What do we get? 30mins of orcs climbing up ladders and falling back down and then when the reinforcements show up I'm like "oh ya here we go!". They run towards each other, just as the two sides meet it cuts to smth else, we come back and the orcs are running away.
    [/FFS!]

Blah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I f*cking LOVED this film! better than the 1st one IMO. The ents? god their the coolest thing ever!
    It was class when one of them was put on fire, and when the water came he dipped his burning head in the water, brilliance :D
    They really kicked seven shades of shit out of the orc's. I loved gimli in this film aswell, he was much better than in the 1st one
    You want me to tell you wants going on on the other side or will I get you a box? ROFL!
    Gimli had some great one liners, and when he got in close, he was a vicous little bugger!
    The death count race of Gimli and Legolas was real funny aswell *smack* 6 *smack* 7, lol
    . Gollum was done perfectly aswell, 1st CGI charecter to actually have charecter!

I will probably turn out going to see this film again, it is just so damn good :D

I would like to announce that I shall most venemously oppose anyone that finds fault with the film.

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Gimli had some great one liners, and when he got in close, he was a vicous little bugger!

Oh yes! I especially loved
    when he was trapped under the dead warg, and the Uruk-Hai climbs over and snarls in his face, and he just grabs him by the head and *SNAP*!!! ****ing awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Omg I can't wait till Sunday, when lexcorp have an egm and see lotr :D
    Savoy, here we come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Whats with all the spoilers greyed out? I mean its hardly a secret what happens in the film, you know, since the books have been out for just a while :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Loved it. Thought the CGI was the most photo-real I have ever seen...

...my only complaint would be that they rushed it a bit... but at three hours I suppose you can't ask for much more.

Can't wait to see it again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I am one very happy person tonight after seeing this AWESOME piece of material. I have just seen the 5.30pm screening in the Savoy and didn't expect it to be this long{which is ALWAYS good} :)

Apart from the Q going back as far as Burger King, the night was very pleasant and i'm going to look at it again very soon.

To sum this flm up only takes two words F**CKING CLASS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

only this describes it
    :D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gimli is excellent.

the death count scene is very good but my fav was
    We dwarves are better the short sprint his lines during the 3 day run

must see again :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

My god that was fooking brilliant!! have to agree that gimli is alot better in this film! also legolas is also very cool if you were impressed with him by shootin the ura kai in the first, (those with the extended version will know what i mean!!) then wait till you see him in this!!!

over all i give it 5/5, 10/10, and so on and so forth!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

One thing that's pissing me off about this thread: Why are so many of ye giving away the story line. Some people will be tempted to read them - Spoiler tags or not - ya know!

Btw, managed to see it tonight - enjoyed it immensely. Went to see it in UGC - no bloody intermission - after a couple of pints...gotta dash!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Skipped school to go see it today, personally i thought it was a mixed bag. I went with three friends, the two who hadn't read the book absolutely loved it, but myself and my friend who read the book were not too jubilant subsequently, compared to the first time i saw Jurassic Park as a kid(in retrospect its pretty poo poo, what with the dinosaurs and all).

As i said its a mixed bag, as i'm quite familiar with the book its only natural that i was going to start nit picking every time it slightly differed from the book. I was dying for a leak from the commercials but as some smart ass pooped over all three cubicles and the urinals were overflowing with pizz i had to wait three hours to pizz, albeit i was in such agony i didn't want to get up or miss a single moment.

My only real jibe would be that it dragged on in some areas and dissented in some scenes with the book, why postpone shelob pj? Ents looked cool so was gandalfs fighting from the get go.

I'd give it seven bojangles out of ten as it gave me a genuine reason to skip school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Another work of pure magnificence. Utter brilliance. Awesome beyond all recognition. Or however you wish to phrase it.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Oh yes! I especially loved
    when he was trapped under the dead warg, and the Uruk-Hai climbs over and snarls in his face, and he just grabs him by the head and *SNAP*!!! ****ing awesome!
    Or another one of my favourites from gimli - toss me! but dont tell the elf! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

what can I say? WOW!!
    Gollum was just wonderful, especially his conversations with himself!
    Gimli was hilarious
    Helm's Deep - excellent
    The Ents were done beautifully
    wonderful film, I'm off to see it again on Saturday.

Beruthiel: Oooh, can I touch it!?

I would like to point out here, that AW sig. refers to his Lord of the Rings ticket (as I hadn't received mine yet) and not what most of you twisted individuals think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    what can I say? WOW!!
    Gollum was just wonderful, especially his conversations with himself!
    Gimli was hilarious
    Helm's Deep - excellent
    The Ents were done beautifully
    wonderful film, I'm off to see it again on Saturday.
    i totaly agree with you.....
    loved the movie.
    only one thing that i miss from the book is the Shelob, there is only a reference made to her at the end of the movie from Gollum. When Gollum said "she will get them" i could hear a few people in the cinema whispering "who is she??"..... :p they dont know what they missed until they read the book.
    Gimli brought great light comic relief to the movie. he had just the right amount of humour, not too much, not too little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Absolutely class. Loved it to bits.

I love the way they have decided to handle the CG in the film. It's very smooth, very realistic/gritty.

Gollum was absolutely absolutely brilliant. Very very very well done.

Is anyone else amazed at what Peter Jackson has done? I mean, I loved his early work before I even knew he was doing LOTR (Bad Taste, Braindead). But to then move onto films this massive and anticipated. They picked the right man indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

The Shelob scene was moved to the third movie otherwise Frodo and Sam would've had very little screen time in it.

while it wasn't the worst film I've ever seen im my life, I just didn't like it ... i suppose I went in with such high expectations (foolish of me, after seeing fotr I know), and i was just a bit dissapointed. there are worse ways to spend 3 hours though

Spoiler:
    did anyone else find it odd, that at the battle of helms deep, when aragorn and gimli "assault" the urukhai attacking the main gate, that they were so easily able to find a nice quite small back door?.. you;d think at least one of the hundreds of invading soliders on the ramp across from them would have noticed it and pointed it out to the other lads

http://www.reallifecomics.com/comics/20021218.png

heheh

don't click that link if you haven't read the book and are clueless enough not to know what is going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

Oh that was Amazing!!!!! Ents Rule, Those Nazgúl birds were Brilliant.

One little complaint, maybe too much comic releif! Gimli was funny, but it had no place in a battle, or in gollum, people were in the pisses at him, he is no funny he is (almost) pure evil. I'm sad they left out the last few chapers, eh the palantír and whatever. And also how did Ganfalf and the balrog make they're way up the mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Something about the film just isn't sitting right, I can't explain it. It was still a fantastic film, and I was not even slightly disappointed (okay, maybe once or twice with the CG on Gollum, but that's it). But all the same, I'm not left with a really excited, tingly feeling, like I was with the first one.

I'm reckoning this could be down to the fact that I just wasn't able to absorb it all properly in just one viewing. I've got a ticket booked for tomorrow as well, so I'll find out soon enough whether that's all it is.

I hope that's all it is.

i agree with this more or less something i just can't put my finger on and also i don't like the way they are making gimli out and there was no mention of the Huorns or whatever they where called.

Originally posted by Conorisco
    he is no funny he is (almost) pure evil. .
    If you read the books, he's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Class show, enjoyed every second although Sam and Frodo where just a side show for me, Helms deep was oh my god....

Anyone else jump when the elves walked into Helms Deep?

btw Gollum is evil, smeagol is confused good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Absolutely fantastic movie.

Brilliant acting from Ian McKellen and and Elijah Wood. Gollum - absolutely incredible. It was weird how much he actually looked like Andy Serkis (the guy who did his voice!). Look up a pic of him and you'll see what I mean...

There was some really powerful cinema there.... the scene where Gandalf exorcised Theoden was absolutely incredible.

Looking forward to seeing it again. :)

I kind of got the impression that the ents attack at the end was a bit rushed. Hopefully there'll be more in the 'extended edition' next November (or whenever it comes out on DVD)

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

They didnt drop the ball. Its just as good as the first, but with a darker feel to it and in Gollum, Frodo and Sam, a mother of a psychological thriller. Terrific. All hail Peter Jackson, that chubby God from New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

I didn't read the other posts on this tread. I just want to post this small post : the two towers is boring but with good spots thats it.

ps: I have hang over

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I thought it was a great film. I agree with some of the guys who expressed a strange felling of doubt but I'm pretty sure second time round I'll like it even more.

I do think the film had one or two weak spots more than FOTR:-

What was the point of Aragorn apparently dying. I mean how many times do the cast have think "oh no -insert name here- is dead" and look forlorn until they turn up alive.

The Gimli jokes were good but I thought there were too many - the only laugh out loud was when he was hidden from view and all you coudl see was his helmet. Of course this didn't stop several idiotic "I am the biggest LOTR fan in the world" type fools roaring with laughter at anything when amusing would be the appropriate word.

The battle at Helms Deep was great but as soon as Ganalf turned up it was over in seconds. All in all the bits at the end seemed to skit very quickly to a conclusion and I think if it's true that PJ wanted a 4 hour version released then the extended DVD version should be magnificent

I'm not one to go mad about differences with the book but why have Faramir make his decision to release the lads after a protracted sequence of bringing them to a City - surely not just to extend the whole Frodo/Sam side of the story - dearie me - in any case the book I think attempts to show that Faramir is wiser and more thoughtful than his brother and lets them go without any messing around for so long

For anyone who hasn't seen the film yet - go see it. There has not been a better film released all year despite any of my misgivings. I can forgive alot just to see this great book made into to film so well. A wonderful achievement and now that the difficult second film has been done successfully we can look forward to what surely will be a brilliant third film. I won't, just like this film and FOTR need to read any reviews to know with certainty that I will enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

after Thinking about it for some time now the two towers was really good. its maybe the hang-over that give me the bad review the first time.

Went to see it again today... ****ing fantastic film altogether. Gollum is just amazing. Roll on next year, for the super-edition-type-4-DVD-set!!! And dont mention ROTK to me... I'm trying not to think about it.

My god Peter Jackson, you are a ****ing sadist!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement