Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W2K problem with new Komplett upgrage kit

• 18-12-2002 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just built a new machine using a upgrage kit from Komplett and some other bits n peices the upgrade was this:

SKU 112049 AMD Athlon XP2200+ 1.8 GHz 266 MHz bus Socket A (Thoroughbred) Processor (OEM)

SKU 112618 Cooler Master CPU coole Socket A/7/FCPGA DP5-7H53F-0L, to 1,4GHz and XP2200+

SKU 109008 DDR-DIMM PC2700 256MB DDR CL2.5 Generic Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz)

SKU 112656 MSI KT3 ULTRA2-R Mainboard with sound VIAKT333, ATA/133,Raid, ATX, USB2.0

Creative gForce 3 Ti200

30gig maxtor HD.

CD-ROM, ZIP Drive and floppy drive from an old machine.

The problem is I can't install Windows 2000 professional. I can install win98se, but when I try to upgrade to W2K the machine just shuts down at a certain point. I also can't install it on to the freshly formatted disk - an error "16384" comes up just as it looks like its going to install.

One more thing, the processor is 2200+ but windows and at the boot sequence it only says 1500+? What's going on?

Any ideas?
    Thanks, B.M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

did you set up your bios or jumpers correctly... the things dont usually auto setup

on your first boot, you should always setup the bios for your correct processor speed and fsb speed etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

What he said also if you have the Hard drives on any kind of raid controler make sure you have the drvers disk and press F6 when the setup say "press F6 to add hardware" or something like that. IIts at the very start of the setup. But the processer sounds like its not the right multiplyer... although its strange to get one unlocked now-a-days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

I did not set up the BIOS for the new processor as I don't really have a clue how to do this! I did disable the raid option in the BIOS - so I guess that means I don't need to install the raid drivers at the start of setup. Right?

Could someone explain exactly how to change the bios to suit my processor etc? (I don't know what the etc is, but I'm sure there is more to set up than the processor)

Thanks, B.M. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

With that mobo, hit DEL when the computer's starting to boot to get into the BIOS.

Use the mouse keys to go to the "Frequency/Voltage" section, hit enter to get in there and change your FSB from 100 MHz to 133 MHz. Hit ESC to get back to the top-level menu and choose "Save and Exit". That will be enough to get the processor up to the correct speed.

The motherboard manual should explain the rest of the BIOS settings reasonably well. If in doubt leave them at the defaults, the worst that will happen there is that the machine will run a bit slower.

IDE3 and IDE4 are the RAID connectors. If you're using them, use IDE1 and IDE2 (next to where the floppy lead plugs into the mobo) instead. This might help you get W2K setup. You can switch back to using RAID later on when you know a bit more about setting up your machine.

You could also try removing all plug in cards except the video card if you're still having problems, add them back again when W2K is running.

HTH.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If Win98 installs OK it's not an issue with RAID as it would not install if it was.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Kix, I'll try it out later. In the mean time I have another problem, but it may be useful! I got my hands on a copy of XP Pro and happily tried to install it. When it got to the stage of analysing my computer in the preparing installation bit the progress bar got to around 10% then it froze. I think win 2000 was having the same problem with my system and that why it wasn't installing. Could it be a driver or hardware problem? When I hit Ctrl - Alt - Del when xp crashes the task manager is telling me msqsrv 32 is not responding - would this have anything to do with it?

What'll I do??:(

Thanks, B.M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've seen similar problems with Xp before (not 2k tho). I found that a few attempts and some waiting generally got it installed and working grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

This may solve it:

From: http://www.experts-exchange.com/CXO/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20390087.html
    Windows 2000 by default does not support ATA 100 data transfer rates. Microsoft has added support for
    ATA 100 in Windows 2000 with the release of Service Pack2. This can be installed once Windows 2000 is
    loaded on the hard drive. If you are experiencing any issues during Windows installation, disable UDMA
    mode in the system BIOS. Once the installation is complete and you have installed Service Pack 2, enable
    UDMA again.

Might be no harm to disable ACPI, USB legacy support and other "nice, but unnecessary to install basic OS features" until machine is happy.

install VIA 4-in-1 drivers asap, version 4.45 is the newest.

HTH,
    MK

First of all Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to one and all.

Now to get back to the bitching...

I've tried around a million things, all to no avail. I still can't get xp or w2k to install. Just crashes at system analysis stage. Arrrgghh. I also couldn't find any reference to UDMA in my BIOS, so I couldn't disable it.
    I read in another fourm (MSI) about a guy who had very similar problems to me - unable to install XP or ME and odd shutting down problems. He discovered it was his RAM. Does this sound hopeful? I'm gonna swap some from another machine that has the same type and runs fine and see if this will help. Fingers crossed for me.:confused:

Thanks for all your suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

madkevo, if he can't get it installed, how is he going to install the via 4-in-1 drivers? He won't be able to disable acpi either.

boogie man, ensure your hdd is connected to the normal via controller ( not the raid controller ). Reset your bios to optimized defaults. Remove all non-essential hardware from the machine. I installed win2k onto a machine with the non raid version of your board and had no problems. Perhaps it is a ram problem ok, hopefully that sorts it out for you.

• Advertisement

FIXED IT!

In the end it was a simple stoopid mistake. When I assembled it I put the heatsink and fan the wrong way around so the processor was overheating and shuting itself down. It was quite deceptive though - what with the similar installation fails. :o
    I think there should be only one way of putting the heat sink on to the mobo, like the ram, ide cables or power cables, you know for stoopid people like me.
    It seemed like the right way to attach it at the time as the PSU was very much in the way. In fact I had to take out the PSU to refit the heatsink.

Thanks for your help!
    B.M.

Advertisement