Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate to boast, but...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

It's not a TV it's a monitor.

Started life as a P1 100Mhz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Wook
    as i said before , some of these parts are second hand , and if you look around you , you do find cheap parts..one of the Hard drives for example actually comes from somebody of boards, also the zipper and so on...easily under 1000 euros

still can't see it even second hand...

1.1GHZ Athlon 20
    180GB HD 100
    GF4 TI 4400 128MB 100
    soundblaster Audigy 50
    640MB sdram 100
    19Inch screen CRT 200
    21 Inch screen CRT 200
    Cambridge soundworks speakers surround 50
    250MB zipper 50
    stupid 56Kb Diamond modem 20
    Realtek Nic 20
    Sony Burner 50
    DVD 20
    52Speed CDrom 20
    case, psu & motherboard free?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    my own rig cost me approx (I haven't worked it all out yet) around the €1000-1200 mark, half of it 2nd hand. I spent bit of time getting it as quiet as possible, so that added a bit of expense.

Coolmaster 201/QuietPC 400w PSU/2x80 zalman quiet fans & fanmates/P4 1.8@2.4/Zalman flower HSF/Motherboard & Zalman chipset HS/Sonic Fury/PCI 56k modem/768mb DDR(266)/Ti4200/Barracuda IV 80gb (7200) HD/ Plextor CDRW-DVD combo/Realtek 10-100 NIC/17" IBM Trinitron monitor/ Logitech kybrd/Logitech dual optical USB mouse.

Oh and it started life as a 486/33 with 4mb/40mb HD....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by ThreadKiller
    OK, maybe I need to clarify...

Over the years I've built my way up spending probably up to €4,000 on components. There's also a 23" widescreen TVT in there.

Well if its not a tv, what is it? What is a tvt? You have made such a fool of yourself. Why didn't you just list the parts, and how much they cost. Not all the other gear which isn't there any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    still can't see it even second hand...

1.1GHZ Athlon 20
    180GB HD 100
    GF4 TI 4400 128MB 100
    soundblaster Audigy 50
    640MB sdram 100
    19Inch screen CRT 200 (150)
    21 Inch screen CRT 200 (50)(friends sale)
    Cambridge soundworks speakers surround 50
    250MB zipper 50
    stupid 56Kb Diamond modem 20
    Realtek Nic 20
    Sony Burner 50
    DVD 20
    52Speed CDrom 20
    case, psu & motherboard free? (minitower, and mainboard plus psu came with the original package, (medion pc)

and btw this is the last entry i make in this posting as this is getting rather annoying)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    my own rig cost me approx (I haven't worked it all out yet) around the €1000-1200 mark, half of it 2nd hand. I spent bit of time getting it as quiet as possible, so that added a bit of expense.

Coolmaster 201/QuietPC 400w PSU/2x80 zalman quiet fans & fanmates/P4 1.8@2.4/Zalman flower HSF/Motherboard & Zalman chipset HS/Sonic Fury/PCI 56k modem/768mb DDR(266)/Ti4200/Barracuda IV 80gb (7200) HD/ Plextor CDRW-DVD combo/Realtek 10-100 NIC/17" IBM Trinitron monitor/ Logitech kybrd/Logitech dual optical USB mouse.

Oh and it started life as a 486/33 with 4mb/40mb HD....:D

you left out the pinch of salt....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

jays, look at the vultures on here :)

"OMG I CAN GET IT FOR €1 CHEAPER COS I KNOW SOMEONE WHO WORKS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DO THE LABELS FOR THE PACKAGING, YOU WUS ROBBED!!!"

if someone started off with a p1 100mhz 6/7 years ago (when they came out), and upgraded to the latest and greatest all the way through, then they'll easily have spent €4000 by the time they get to this stage.

Back then a p1 100mhz was £2000 or thereabouts, so there €2540 of the money for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by Gerry
    80gb western digital 7200 with 8mb cache
    Off-topic, but what's the advantage of having an 8mb cache as opposed to a 2mb cache? Faster file transfer rates?

Originally posted by ThreadKiller
    Been buying the components over about eight months & upgrading as I went, I reckon all in all it cost me about €4,000.

Next step is to add another hdd & set up Raid.

Thats not exactly how he put it though. I reckon we should sue him for false thread advertising...boo... hiss...etc. Besides I actually think he did spend close on this and is on backtracking on what he said. I say bring out the hot coals!...and the spanish inquisition!
    Originally posted by Fidelis
    Off-topic, but what's the advantage of having an 8mb cache as opposed to a 2mb cache? Faster file transfer rates

Any files that can fit in the cache will be accessed quicker than those on the hard drive itself. Therefore response times are much faster especially on small files that are accessed frequently. The advantage of this is neligible on really large files, but you notice a generally nippiness to drives with an 8mb cache in my experience. Stuff like save games in games really fly too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It *was* false advertising!
    "Been buying the components over about eight months & upgrading as I went, I reckon all in all it cost me about €4,000"

I mean that's hardly the same as spending 4 grand on a pc over a period of years. If you spend that much on a pc unless you're working with hardcore graphics and video manipulation....four words spring to mind...
    MORE MONEY THAN SENSE!
    lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by eth0_

MORE MONEY THAN SENSE!
    lol.

Or more sex than beans! ... no wait...

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Beans, Beans, the musical fruit,

The more you eat, the more you , hmmmm,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

for just over 1000 i got

XP1900
    512ddr
    40gb ibm 7200rpm hdd
    DvD
    CDW
    floppy
    GF4 ti4200
    blue tooth
    300watt psu n so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Thanks to a lot of factors, hardware is almost as cheap as chips these days :)

A good PC can be had for less than 500e nowadays.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Maybe it's a laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

weird that we haven't heard from this guy again...
    maybe he meant to say 400 euros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

My 2 thousand sents on wot I got for wot and how u woz robbelised

I got:
    P3 733
    256mg pc133 ram
    40gig HD
    20" monitor
    32x16x8 CDRW
    Floppy (oo-er)
    64mg GF2MX400
    SB 4.1