Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine tuning

Options
  • 18-12-2002 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know much about engine tuning? I am looking to marginally improve the performance of my car i.e. improve acceleration, but I dont want the engine re-bored to come out with a V6 turbo or anything. Does engine tuning automatically mean re-chipping these days, as this is something I would be nervous of. I was told recently that insurance assessors tap into the chip in the car when a claim has been made and if it's not the one thats supposed to be in there then bye bye goes your claim. Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Don't bother with the chip. If in doubt, leave it out. Unfortunately insurance ascessors will bypass the claim if there is anything non-standard on the engine unless you already told them it had engine mods.

The usual road to go down is:
    Green induction kit (they're cotton so they don't fall apart if you get them wet like K&N) with cold air feed.
    Full exhaust trim (no cat n stuff means free flowing exhaust)
    Decent platinium splitfire plugs.
    Better plumbing...
    These kind of things don't cost the world but they make a difference and they won't shorten the life of the engine like a
    big f*ck-off turbo or a NOS kit would.

Best advice is to pop in to a reputable motor store and enquire. they won't charge you for there opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Depends on the car - there are a few ways of going about getting a few more horses. Fitting a low-resistance induction or exhaust system can liberate in the region of 5-10bhp depending on the car. Fitting higher performance spark plugs can also have an effect. After that, you are moving into chipping unless you have an older car with a carburettor, which can be tinkered with in your garage if you know what you're doing. Beyond these modifications, which can all be reversed, you are moving into modifying the engine components, like fitting high-lift camshafts, larger valves, boring out the engine and fitting bigger pistons, fitting a longer throw crankshaft. These changes are generally very difficult to reverse afterwards.

On the insurance side of things, any mechanical modification, however minor, must be reported to your insurer or the policy will be invalid. The best thing to do would be get a report from a vehicle inspector detailing the modifications carried out and the effect they've had on the car. A dynamometer test to verify the car's power output would also be useful here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Thanks Chimaera. I have a 00 Astra 1.4. Have you any idea what a low induction or exhaust system would cost? As I mentioned, all I am looking for is a little extra kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'm afraid not - you'd need to talk to a garage about that. I've heard figures of around €1000 for an exhaust, but I don't know really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Thanks again for that Chimaera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

The 1.4 16v produces around 90 bhp as standard, after chipping +5bhp, as as Chimaera said, exhaust(no cat)/air filter +10 to+15bhp extra.

This gives you 105 bhp after spending in excess of €1.5k?

For my money if i wanted extra power, i would consider changing the car to a 1.6 (99 bhp) or the 1.8L (114 bhp) model. They are all supposed to be 16v from 98 onwards.

But then you have to consider the extra road tax, insurance on the bigger engine.

Advertisement