Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LINUX Question

Options
  • 18-12-2002 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Good Afternoon,

I have recently started in a company here in Dublin and the issue i have is that we have a LINUX Server. Now my knowledge of LINUX is very weak and i have some questions (Apologies if i am on the wrong board)

1 - I cannot find a login and password - Is there a default i can find to be able to access the server

2 - Is there 2 types of LINUX like Windows where you have client and server types

3 - If i want to put LINUX on a client machine - How would i go about it

Thanks

DD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

there a unix board where you prob get better/quicker answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

1 - I cannot find a login and password - Is there a default i can find to be able to access the server

This is set during installation - default username is root - like an administrator in windows

2 - Is there 2 types of LINUX like Windows where you have client and server types

Nope - all linux machines can be either a server or client or both. it is open to the configuration that you use for each machine - maximum freedom with no license issues :)

3 - If i want to put LINUX on a client machine - How would i go about it?

get a copy of the cd's - put cd in tray - reboot - follow the prompts
    for a beginner redhat or mandrake are a good place to start - both are free to use and download

hth
    MiCr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

To regain root.

Boot off of a Linux startup disk like this http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/ Small Linux, not really designed for these purposes, but it will suffice.

Once you have been dropped to a root prompt in Small Linux.

type

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
    chroot /mnt /bin/bash
    passwd root

Now that should enable you to enter your own new root password.

Basically though what you want to do is to get a bootable cd or floppy disk that will drop you to a pretty standard unix like command line interface with root access.

From there as above you mount your Server's root partition
    change root to that mounted partition and ammend your root password.

The Mandrake & Red Hat bootable CDROMs should give you an option to drop to a command line interface and from there issuing the commands above will give you root access.

The best thing to do, is to get in contact with the last sysadmin and beg for his intervention.

Perhaps Thor would smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 deckydee

Thats is great guys! - Thanks for the information I really appreaciate it - I learned that the old systems admin is going to give me the password!! - Handy knowledge to have though!

Thanks again

Deckydee

Advertisement