Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty points.... how many have you?

Options
  • 18-12-2002 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering has anyone got any points on their licence yet.

its been 2 months (i think) since the points system has been introduced.

before the introduction of the points system i would usualy do about 70mph on major roads. i rarely go over 65mph now unless i'm over taking another.

if you don't have any points yet do you know anyone that does and how much more over the speed limit were they when caught

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I know a guy who was done for 62 in a 50mph zone.
    (in his girlfriends company car)

I think it was a camera job cause the notice came to her work and she let them think it was her and lost them on her licence as he is a courier and needs his licence clean.

I was happy not to be the first person to get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The'real'Guvnor

Apparently should you wish to avoid the points here is what you do:

You get done for whatever and get hit with the fine say it's e70.
    Pay by cheque and send then e80, now apparently by law they must send you back the balance as in e10.

The trick is not to cash the cheque because that cheque needs to be cashed before their system can be fully updated. This was told to a mate by a lawyer. If the system is not updated the points won't show up on your licence.

Now another thing you can do is spray cheap and nasty hair lacquer on your reg as the sheen off it makes the reg illegible when the photos are printed out.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Would you believe I actually heard that about a month ago from a guy in work? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by The'real'Guvnor

You get done for whatever and get hit with the fine say it's e70.
    Pay by cheque and send then e80, now apparently by law they must send you back the balance as in e10.

The trick is not to cash the cheque because that cheque needs to be cashed before their system can be fully updated. This was told to a mate by a lawyer. If the system is not updated the points won't show up on your licence.

Heard tht old chestnut years ago with regards to the pints system in the UK. Don't know if it was true then, don't know it it's true now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I've an idea this came up in another thread a while back, and the consensus then was that it was a load of b*****ks. The poibts are added anyway, regardless of whether or not you pay the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A friends father picked up points for speeding on his way back from Dublin at about 2 am the night the Points system came online.

The Gardai were obviously out to get the token first night success figures for the papers.

Advertisement