Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAL vs NTSC Dvds

Options
  • 18-12-2002 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I was just watching some region 1 dvds last night ang got curious as to whether there is a difference in picture quality between region 1(NTSC) and region 2(PAL) dvds?

Anyone got any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Easy:

PAL resolution: 720 x 576
    NTSC resolution: 720 x 480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Cool,

bearing this in mind, would people say that they can notice this difference??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Personally speaking - yes.
    To my untrained eye, it would seem as if the film is sometimes 'interlaced' (lines running through the picture). Usually this isn't too bad, but sometimes it gets very distracting.

It's for this reason that I tend to avoid R1 DVDs unless I absolutely have no other choice - weighing the cost of waiting 3 months for an R2 DVD versus the cost of a less-than-optimal visual quality, I'll usually choose to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Would the quality of the TV make a difference in this regard?

ie would say a 100hz vs a 50hz make the imperfections more noticeable or would it help smooth them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest if your DVD player and TV can handle NTSC as mine can then no I can't notice the difference. I only would if I use the Zoom feature on my TV which I don't.

The majority of my DVD's are R1's with some R2's & R4's and I have a 50Hz Panasonic 28" Widescreen.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

Can't say i've noticed any difference. I also have a Panasonic 28". Though I would have more R4 pal disks than R1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I have a 32inch 100hz Pixel plus telly from philips, and to be honest I never though I could notice a difference until, I bought sex and the city (season 1&2) and minority report from the US. Everyone in my house though minority report looked grainy and sex and city (gf chrimbo pressie) had the same problem with skin tones.

Are these just badly mastered dvds, or same anyone who has seen the region 2 equivelents say the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I haven't noticed any difference really.
    My R1 Phantom Menace DVD doesn't look odd or anything like that... at least no more odd than my euro ones.
    (34" Sony Widescreen 100Hz)]

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

What I tend to notice more than the resolution difference is the 3:2 pulldown technique that's used to convert 24fps(Film) films to 30fps (NTSC). I find it makes the image rather more jerky than PAL stuff, and therefore more tiring on the eyes.

The resolution difference is a case of horses for courses, I reckon - some televisions (particularly cheaper 100Hz ones) just don't handle it well, while some do. Maybe that's why everybody here has a different opinion about how noticable it is?

Advertisement