Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As 2002 comes to an end

Options
  • 18-12-2002 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Best Unsigned Releases I heard........

Oz - She's my heroine / Sophia (Got nicked from my car ;-( )
    Polar - Robot song
    Label -Tailspin

Best unsigned performances I was at.........

Murder of Crows in Mono around August
    Oz Single release in Isaac butts
    X Constant in TBMC (Gigsmart metal night)
    Popstar the night Kranog did the most impressive stage dive Ive ever seen managing to actually stay on the stage....classic gig an all)
    TURN - TBMC at the start of the year -ish
    Wallmark in Whelans

Funniest unsigned moment....
    The "Jar of Gar" in Voodoo the night Marc Empire played

Unpredictable moment
    Phil from the Jessies in Da2 showing us what he had for dinner live on stage

Most touching moment...
    My birthday cake in eamonn dorans

Most annoying moment...
    My gear being nicked

Most annoying people Ive worked with....
    Thomas Brunkard , Niall Stynes

Best people Ive worked with......
    Thomas Brunkard, Niall Stynes

Best interviews I heard
    Polar on Phantom
    Blotooth on Phantom

Highlights in general ....

the successes at Voodoo, TBMC and dorans, The rise of bands like Polar, Blotooth , Skyjack, Sundogs,Johnny Pyro, Murder of Crows winning IMRO, more and more people realising how **** hotpress actually is, the evolution of soundroom and other such people organising non pay to play gigs. The decline of many of the cities so called promoters.....yeah you know who Im talkin about. The success of Phundraiser, meeting more and more folks from here, the world cup

Dissapointments in general.....
    Licence issue for phantom, the price of everything rose, the gaurds on the reclaim the streets protest, Another great band split Brando RIP, more boy/girl bands, the lack of participation from people gigsmart and other organisation tried to help, meeting some people from here hahaaa, the budget. Layne Staley died, being beaten by Spain, the state of the irish squad now, no one assasinated Bush, Harney or Louis Walsh, Gav leaving Turn

That is all for now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

The higlight of my year would have to be, getting to sing with obsolete in Mullingar, and maybe even playing guitar for popstar last month but other than that, the rest of my year rawked.

Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

Well said man!
    We were only involved with GigSmart towards the end of the year and had a relatively quite year for one reason or another but thanks for the mention. We have a few plans made for the new year and some new tracks recorded so hopefully we can move it forward a notch. I'd just like to say I hope next year we be even better for all you guy's and all the bands involved. And its great & an extremely pleasant change to see bands sticking together and trying to help each other. I'll be down on the 23rd to watch the bands and have a few pints
    Cheers for the gigs,
    Neil_B.

www.sundogsband.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

Well for me 2002 was thus:

BEST MOMENTS:

Going to great gigs from Popstar, Pinion, Otranome, Murder of Crows and others at TBMC and a little place somewhere off O'Connell Street.

Being allowed to choose my own time and format for my new show on Phantom (Midnight Blue, 11pm Wednesday nights - plug!!!)

Having some great moments with the listeners on the morning show, and on the night shows, including some moments when we all seemed to mentally connect across the night in a mysterious but lovely way. (no, I'm not on anything . . . unless you count chocolate)

A two day road trip and several shorter excursions with Pete Reed and Paul Clarke on mysterious Phantom business . . . can't say what, but we all kept getting covered with rust and mud, Paul received an interesting invitation from a security guard in Limerick, and everything we looked ended up being secretly destroyed . . . but we've not given up hope, and more muddy fields and rusty adventures await us in 2003 :)

The expression on Pete Reeds face on one of the above trips when I drove his car very fast over a hump-backed bridge in Co. Kerry :):)

Getting sent to Seattle for two weeks by my employer and hanging out in some highly dodgy metal bars.

My faith in human nature being constantly restored by some of the really nice things that Phantom listeners say and do.

THE "NOT SO BEST" MOMENTS

Having to leave the Morning Show in february because my employer wanted me in at 8am from then on.

The Friday night shows when I was so tired and it just didn't work out.

The traffic in Dublin getting soooo much worse in just 12 months.

Seeing a friend suffering from very bad depression, and realising that there was nothing I could do to make it better.

More inane boy/girl bands murdering perfectly good old songs.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO IN 2003

The conclusion of the Phantom Rusty Field Adventures (TM)

Maybe getting off my a**e and getting my book published

Living and Learning

Happy Christmas and New Year to all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Worst Moment of the year:
    being dumped by my love soon after the moring show ended (making getting up in the morning that little bit more painful)

best moment of the year:
    getting back with my love just before steve conways moves to his wednesday slot (so i could listen and sleep as in the morning show)

Best event of 2002:
    BRANDO's last gig.... sad day.. but fantastic end to a great band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Elaine

Hmmmm, best moments of 2002??

Going to see the foo fighters in the point november 27th....they rocked the place. There were lots more great moments but im too tired to type:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

2002 moments for me.

Best New (to me) listens,

QOTSA, Audioslave, D4, Hundred Reasons, Parkinsons, Cooper Temple Clause, BRMC, Polar, Electric 66, Tenacious D.

Best gigs,

(All of the above except Audioslave, 2003 mission), White Stripes( 2002 mission accomplished), Foos x 3, Manics, James Dean Bradfield solo gig, Muse, Witnness.

Worst gig(s)

Andrew WK...remember him?

Best Moments/things,

Gettin given the guitar mid-song at D4 gig and tried to play it although I never actually touched an electric guitar in my life and people comin up to me sayin I was good.....pist more like.
    Seein a plastic glass bounce of Ian Browns head and subsequent melee.
    New Nirvana song.
    Sky Digital (MTV2-kerrang),
    Beating Germany 5-1

Worst moments/things

Redundancy and subsequent fawning to job agency ignoramus's,
    Steve Conway makin me late for work,
    Will young etc etc popstars/rivals zigazigaaaahfeckoff,
    Ronaldinho lobbin seaman (no pun intended).
    Not seeing 'home' as often,

2003 hopes

To get THAT job,
    Audioslave tourin europe (this part especially)
    White Stripes - Elephant,
    Seein Feeder carryin on after their adversity
    Polar/E66 gettin recognition they deserve along with 'certain' others.
    Vines playin Ireland (not 100% convinced yet),
    D4 comin back for a week run in Whelans supported by Parkinsons,
    Oasis taking the hint, Badly sung Bob to follow their lead and take that hat off, must need washin by now!!!!
    Sheff Wednesday not gettin relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 panzer_attack

best moments for me were

idlewild at the point.

meeting andy cairns,what a gent.

manics in cardiff last sunday,great to hear james singing with a
    belly full of anger again.

turn at witnness,2003 will be their year.

jessica insane back in action.

violent sky* rawkin like bastards at every gig they played.

brando gig last paddy's night in whelans,im told it was great,dont really remember much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

Best gig for me would have to be, Skyjack, Corrupted, x constant and writhe in the music centre.

It was a financial disaster, but what a f**kin gig.

I had only been to about 3 concerts so far this year, I went to ozzfest, Korn and Nickelback ( I'm waiting to hear the slaggin for that last one ).

Ozzfest was a sham, Tool and Slayer were the only bands that I liked, Drowning Pool weren't particularly good, but I taught that the singer was an excellent front man, he was really good with the crowd.

Korn was a great gig with a huge production, good to see a band investing in their live performance, Nickelback, say what you want about them ( and most people do ) but I taught that they played an excellent show.

Tool would definately be the best band I have seen all year.

Best album, probably be Audioslave.

But my best moment is still yet to come, GigSmart Chrimbo party. be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

My list is going to take a while.

Just a small point. 'THE 66 ELECTRIC' is the name. just to avoid confusion with 'electric 6' who, with respect' we sound absolutely nothing like.

66e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

oops sorry... Jack White not round your way is he....:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

He popped over for a cup of tea and a couple of digestive biscuits before he headed off for his warehouse job this morning. He has my copy of 'Mizundastood' by Pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭gilly

The thing i'll take most from 2002 will definately be the fact that i got the opportunity to get to know so many cool people.. I feel like it couldnt possibly be less that a year since ive met these guys...but since i know dates and locations, i believe it to be true....

Thomas, Chris and Niall.....youre deadly blokes and youre on a great mission..i hope you have a pleasingly productive new year..

All the guys from Popstar(Billy you dont count cause you're not new to me)...I wish you all the best with your forthcoming album...if it means anything..ill buy it anyway..only cause i love ye though!

Syb...what can i say...ill never forget our Lara Croft experience on Halloween nite..that cop car didnt stand a chance.

Pete Reed...He's just the main man....you gotta love this guy..he's just a gem, and im delighted to know him.

Keith Mullins of Pier Ninteen.....Great guy, great band.. Galway based band that'll make you shiver during a couple of their songs...watch this space..

Folly Fest #2.......even better than last year, more musicians, food and the biggest fire show ive seen yet....bring on #3.

And last but by no means least.....PINION !!!!!
    Ive had the pleasure of meeting these guys and theyre fab...Alan more so than the others, but thats just my oPINION.......lol...did you see that coming???....hehe!

Bad things....

em! having to spend 538 euro on my car when i thought it was fine..

still not being able to write a good song..

still no band...

Not getting to help Gigsmart out due to family committments, but at least im trying i suppose...

All in all im quite happy with the year...but as Niall said...it hasnt reached its peak yet...Gigsmart party on 23 is gonna rawk...and ive got my sexy santa helper outfit...and its small.....lol..

Happy Christmas to ye all, and hopefully we'll all share a wonderful new year.

Kisses,
    Gilly G-String

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

BAd bits 2002

Only getting mentioned in TWO posts

Niall Stynes sobriety buzz ("I'm on a diet"-Yeah and the pope has had an abortion)

Only Playing 10 gigs this year!

Selfish arsehole bands

Crap Bands

Getting my name left off that Dance record...

Having no band

Trevor Mooney getting his guitar stuff robbed

Discovering that Descartes Cogito is logically flawed
    Discovering that propositional Calculus is over-rated

Hearing about a promoter scamming €600 off bands in one night by selling them a great big lie... I hope your mother forgives you

Steo Conway leaving the Morning Show :(

More people who know my name

Good Bits 2002

Cataclysmic change

More people who know my name

Ginseng and Murder of Crows rockin Voodoo to oblivion
    Sundogs and Murder of Crows Rockin Voodoo to Oblivion
    X-Constant Rockin Voodoo to Oblivion
    Violent Sky rockin Voodoo to Oblivion
    Ginseng Rockin Eamon Dorans to Oblivion
    Murder of Crows Lap of Honour song at Imro final TBMC
    Status Quo showing the world that rocknroll is about fun not self indulgent inward reflection

AudioSlave and Tori Amos releasing new stuff

Polar,Oz, MOC, Ginseng, Otranome and X-Constant recording joyous new material

Discovering the Sundogs as the butt kickin rock n roll band they are
    Discovering there are a **** load of deadly butt kickin bands in this City

Seeing lots of people coming to great gigs

Seeing pay-for-play promoters run for cover

Jamming with some great musicians

Gigsmart Birthday bash

Brian May on Buckingham palace

The Glorious New Year

Jilly in small santa outfit
    8 gigs a month for gigsmart
    new gigsmart website to end all websites
    More rockin Gigs
    New band
    Slavic women (Russians,Czechs, Poles, Lithuanians, Croats etc...)
    World domination

Advertisement