Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3 Challenge Pro Mode mod

Options
  • 29-01-2000 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Ripped this from <A HREF="http://www.clanbase.com">clanbase</A>. Those crumbly old qw'ers are at it again smile.gif

<I>
    Hoony of Challenge-World sends word about the Challenge Pro Mode mod that is in the works:

The Challenge Pro Mode mod for Q3A proposes to make some changes to Q3A gameplay based on "expert" input from Quake 1, 2 and 3 players. In a unique approach, the key designers are the gamers who are most likely to benefit from it.

The team that will help design the mod consists of D16-Makaveli, [MM]Shub, [9]Paralyzer, a|revelation and SK_Griff, which is definitely an impressive line-up as these 5 guys represent what were the best Q1 and Q2 clans of both the EU and the US.

The presence of the Q2 guys might create the idea that Challenge, a former Q1 site, is serious about making this something both the competitive scenes (Q1 and Q2) would consider as an improvement. Unfortunately, reading through the list of possible changes for the mod though reveals that currently it is basically a "make Q3 more like Q1" project disguised as a Pro mode for Q3. Of about 50 proposed changes, most of which are of the "make it like it was in Q1/QW" kind, exactly two are inspired on Q2. Coincidentally, these two are immediately rejected in the comments:

"Q2 double jumps could be implemented". Comment: "Double jumping will make current map strategies and tactics obsolete". Remarkably, ramp jumping, which is mentioned one line below as a feature to be taken from QW, does not get this comment. Neither do increased air movement, rocket splash, and the multitude of other Q1-like changes.

"Q2 weapon and ammo dropping system could be implemented". Comment: "team games could become more like FFAs with everybody running around with RLs".
    As former Q1 sites can't seem to shake off their background, allow me to post a little response to that last line on this formerly Q2 oriented site...

In my +200 Quake 2 teamplay matches, I have never experienced a single game where all players had RLs or other good weapons, nor any situation that came close to that. Obviously the person that wrote that last comment hasn't the faintest clue of the implications of weapon and ammo dropping and has never bothered to check it out.

If there is one feature that gives teamplay greater tactical depth, beyond the basic camping and timing approach of Q1 and Q3, weapon and ammo dropping is it. It introduces many new aspects of team coordination and therefore more chances for strong teamplay to shine.

Not liking that is fine, tastes differ. Labeling it "FFA-like" is plain rhetoric, and just reveals the real program of this "pro" mod.
    </I>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well he never raped the bollix off some of the muppet UK q2 clans then, I played plenty of ukccl games and there was many where we all had RL's, railguns, and whatever the hell else you could want.

So that bit is complete $hite.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

ah its not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

"Q2 weapon and ammo dropping system could be implemented". Comment: "team games could become more like FFAs with everybody running around with RLs".

what this idiot is saying is that both teams would all be running around, all armed with RL's, which is thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

weehey!
    rocket arena!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

That'd be cool, I miss rocket jumping.
    lick.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement