Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snot Press does it again

Options
  • 18-12-2002 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

The Hot Press 'journalistic elite' (Stokes, Clark et al) have picked their Top 30 Singles + additional 22 Recommended singles in the Hot Press Annual.

They have not included one of my favourite tracks of the last year The Walls 'To the Bright and Shining Sun' but Shakira, Marilyn Manson, Samantha Mumba and Sophie Ellis Bextor are listed in their 52.

What's the story with these freaks? Why are they still here?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

the prats wanna sell copies, they just f**k over all the good music, makes me sick. thank god for phantomy-goodness...

it's also nice to have something to be bitter about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Remember that Hot Press is no longer a real music magazine but more of a mag for the industry. Plenty of backslapping to keep everybody in the tiny pool that is the Irish music industry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The Wasp

Anyone in there ever thought of a Phantom magazine? You'd probably do a much better job than HP. Do mags make any money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I think the phantom mag is a really good call.... think of all the bands that would get proper exposure! but... it's asking a lot of poor ol' phantom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well, we have run an online magazine in the past which has been mothballed for the moment. The biggest difficulty was keeping it fresh and up dated ... takes a lot of labour and time and unfortunately there was no way we could pay for peoples time. We do hope to do something with it in 2003 and introduce an industry database in what is the very bare resources section of the web site. Details in the new year.

BTW anyone a paid up subscriber to HotPress.com? Would you pay the same amount to access a phantom service? Let me stress that this is a hypothetical question ... we have no plans to do so but just interested to hear your views!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

That would be a great idea Brian. But no doubt a huge amount of time and effort would be required to create and maintain a site that you would have reason to come back to frequently.

Hotpress can boast plenty of giveways etc and can avail of their journalistic resources for frequent erticles (mind you I haven't subscribed but thats more of a Hotpress thing).

I'm sure there would be complications in Phantom running a pay to subscribe website aswell unless it was seperate.

Anyway I could go on but I got work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

I would love to see a phantom magazine advertizing weekly and reviewing everyone gigs equally meaning giving the likes of Sundogs and Popstar full page articles aswell as blink 182 or Korn...

This would be amazing and I know of lots of people that would volunteer to help out, people Who go to the gigs to review them, people who would take pictures, and graphic designers.

If we all pulled our weight, this could happen all you need is one successul edition to pay for the next one, and so on.......

Wouldn't it be great to read about Bands like Polar and Otranome in the band of the week section, or if it really took off, it could have freedies like Compilation CD's with local bands on it.

But like most great idea's this will never see the light of day.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I'd love to be involved in something like that. I go to soooo many gigs so I could do reviews n' stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Paying for online resources? Whatta load of ****e! The web is about the free sharing of information. The whole idea of subscribing to hotpress.com for what is essentially a glorified phone book is disturbing please don't have Phantom follow their bad example.

Work on the new Gigsmart site is now underway so if there is anything you have to pay for elsewhere in terms of musicians and musical resources and information let us know at gigsmart_ireland@yahoo.co.uk and we'll see if we can include it in the new design, for free and unlimited, unrestricted public viewing.

As regards Niall Stokes et als musical, who cares what they like? Whats more disturbing is who they cover and who they omit from the magazine.

Advertisement