Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nemesis

• 18-12-2002 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

An excellent movie in my opinion! :D Didnt quite expect to see the end of Data though. Also liked the ramming scene, Picard doing something totally unexpected. And those new shields are interesting too; no more bubble around the ship. The opening scenes of the Romulan Senate was also quite good imho. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah i liked it but i did expect that to happen in the end. It had to happen imo. The cameo from voyager was crap and a waste of space though!

The way she just mentioned the last 3 films like thats all the enterprise has done in 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

The greatest piece of cinematic excellence I’ve ever had the privilege of experiencing... dear god the best film ever by far Star Trek Nemesis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

gona try and coax the gf to come and see it with me at THE GATE (cork) this sat night.

would a non fan enjoy is ? this is imporatant :D

-=SPOILERS=- my full review thoughts n stuff :)

Remus - a planet on which one side always faces the sun... so it rotates slowly, too slowly to rely on centripetal force to produce gravity so i can only assume its mass is sufficient to generate one.

Romulan senate being petrified NICE! :)

The Romulan ship, holy crap! 56 disrupters, primary and secondary shields, shields stay up while cloaked, can fire whilst cloaked... scary :)

I though Picard and his 'echo' got on very well, completing each others sentences etc, very well done.

Although data died, I got the impression it was not meant as the end, much like Spock passing on his memories before he 'died' so did data, his life experiences and memories live on. Conceivable that db4(?) could be upgraded n take on data's persona.

I loved when (bad guy's name?) pull him self up the spike, a final act of defiance :)

Troy using her telepathy to find the ship what can I say, pure class, the lighting around the eyes... excellent, then toped off with a volley of 6 quantum torpedo's *rar*

Data jumping accross open space to the romulan ship! MAD BASTID lol great scene.

Over all i was very impressed, thought it moved on a bit quick, i felt for their final voyage they could have made the movie more reflective, but that'd probably bore non-trekies ;) ... but as the end showed it wasn't the end, possible future peace with the Romulans and of course data's memories live on.

edited to correct spelling error, tanx slydice :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by azezil

Ramous - a planet on which one side always faces the sun... so it rotates slowly, too slowly to rely on centripetal force to produce gravity so i can only assume its mass is sufficient to generate one.

It's spelled Remus and always has been, it's spelt it like that on the nemesis website,

for some reason it's spelt Romii on this website:

http://www.startrek.com/library/xeno.asp?ID=70706

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

anyone would enjoy it really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

just saw it 10 mins ago. what a SCORE to it, perhapds some of the best TREK music in a TREK film that I have heard in a long time.....

id remommend it to ANYONE. even my gf found it tolerable, and she LOATHES all things sci-fi.

go, watch it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The Romulan ship, holy crap! 56 disrupters, primary and secondary shields, shields stay up while cloaked, can fire whilst cloaked... scary :)

It wasn't a Romulan ship. It was Reman.
    Did you miss the part where Shinzon said HE built the ship in secret?
    I loved when (bad guy's name?) pull him self up the spike, a final act of defiance :)

And his name was Shinzon.
    Not that hard of a name to grasp.

I guess this explains why you liked the film so much Az...
    You were ASLEEP the whole time! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Azezil has to be taking the piss. He is mod of the sci-fi forum and can't even get simple details (planet names, character names) correct?

Sounds like sarcasm or trolling to me...... :rolleyes:

It wasn't a bad movie. Better than Insurrection and Generations, not as good as First Contact. I agree with many of AngelWhore's comments on the 'Films' forum ..... some of the plotholes were large enough to fly the Scimitar through.

Did anyone else notice that 'Nemesis' was spelt incorrectly on the Film Board classification card at the start of the movie? (Or was it just in Limerick?). It was spelt "Star Trek: Nemises" ..... yikes...

- Dave.

I know it was a great film as far as the space battles were concerned, but that was never the reason I liked Trek in the first place. I mean, you'd come expect decent plot lines.

I'm sure if I'd actualy rate this below Generations... But Insurrection was better.

I doubt they'll ever top First Contact. It was a much darker film, with some really fantastic acting, Picard and Data pretty much losing it, and it had Zombies(Kinda).

• Advertisement

pfft i only seen it once, n was so captivated i failed to take proper notes :p .... feckin nit pickers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I loved when (bad guy's name?) pull him self up the spike, a final act of defiance

Rather cliché at this stage, it's been done so often. I thought the films was ok, but the story was so poorly developed I would rank it below ST5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by OSiriS
    Rather cliché at this stage, it's been done so often. I thought the films was ok, but the story was so poorly developed I would rank it below ST5

agreed:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I dunno what to think...

I didnt like the way they used the whole superweapon thing again like in Generations & Insurrection.
    I thought Worf(one of Trek's more interesting characters) was very underused.
    I just seemed like the whole thing was Star Trek 2, 6, 8 rolled together

But...

I did though like the way they brought Data/Picard full circle from First Contact where this time Data goes back to rescue Picard. *sniff*
    The buggy(Argon was it) was pretty cool, and Picard looked damned funny driving it.
    And the intro was very good with the Senate being wiped out, and even the bit before it with the camera moving through the Romulan System with THAT part of the soundtrack.
    Top performances from Data and Picard.

pfft i only seen it once, n was so captivated i failed to take proper notes :p .... feckin nit pickers :rolleyes:

Says somebody who's supposedly read the script months before hand. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i didn't like the way picard managed to break a type 3 phaser rifle off a reman i know there meant to be "warriors" but those things are made of duranium and stuff also that defiance of shinzon's reminded of the uruk-hai in fellowship of the ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Absoultely incredible film. Finally they don't spend the whole film on some planet that resembles earth. Great sound, story and effects. Great way to top it off. Data bit was very emotional.
    :(;) What a shame!
    Only a complete spa of a fan wouldn't like it. What more do they want? It's Star Trek! If they have a problem with it, just go watch Stargate :p

[never post dodgy images again, thanks]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

SPOILERS, ffs SofaKing... you could at least use the /i]spoiler[i tag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

Finally got the chance to go see it today and all i can say is class flick, i aint gonna ramble on bout the plot n all that, class flick plain n simple!!

Quick edit, LOVE the name :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

lol the difference of opinion to the other thread relating to this film is quite outstanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Good film. Better than Insurrection, as said before, not as good as First Contact. Overall enjoyable but had some really really dodgy parts (especially the first 5 or 10 minutes, what complete and utter sap).

I surprised myself by recognising Ron Perlman underneath all the make-up (Shinzon's Viceroy). I couldn't place him at first but after a few minutes I was convinced it was him. Stayed to check the credits afterwards :) Yay me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Is he the guy from Alien (resurrection?) The big beefy guy that tries to get into Ripleys whatsit. He looks like a big burley Ewok?

If so, I got that too :)

/edit, just googled and it is. yay me too!

Exactly! Recently, he was also in Blade II (as Dieter something-or-other, in the vamp gang). Big scary guy. Very distinctive face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

To be honest I was getting sick and tired on the Next Gen crew and was not looking forward to this movie. I was surprised when I saw it because it totally blew me away. I hadn't even considered that I might enjoy it so much :cool:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just saw it. It was pretty poor, i agree with Osiris that was extremely cliché and the story was very weak, there was fup all substance to the film. A couple of the scenes were so incredibly hammy, i've never cringed so much while watching a Trek film. Some of the special effects were pretty good, some were pretty shit.
    And of course there was the data death tacked on at the end which utterly failed to evoke any sort of emotional response whatsoever, despite him being my favourite character in TNG.

Tbh, I'd much rather have stayed at home to watch Indiana Jones. I'm not sure if it was better or worse than Insurrection and Generations, my gut says it was worse, but then im less of a Trek fan now than i was when i saw Ins & Gen. Anyway, at least i didn't have to pay in and i don't feel the need to go see it anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Compare it to films outside of the star trek universe and its average. Compared to all the other st films its average. Two things impressed me in this film the ship the scimitar and the battle at the end. Other than that its quiet poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

i found it the most enjoyable of all the tng films(its the only one i went to see twice) but i do have come complaints which could have been been easily fixed.

1. the bit having big fat riker fighting with the voiceroy on the enterprise. it just seemed to added in for the sake of riker having a nemesis of his own. also why not just beam any boarding party off the ship into space or surround them with forcefields on the deck - we've seen it done on the show!

2. the enterprise would have state of the art 24th century computers. during the battle why not set it to return a volley of fire in the direction of any source of fire from the enemy ship?? it'd be better than using your phasers as an unprecise searchlight!

3. how could a rebel group have a secret base and then build a vessel that is better than anything in the quadrant when the federation and romulans have such resources!? it would have been much better to say have a rogue romulan general in control of a new ship or something more believeable

i know you could always pick mistakes from startrek such is the nature of the show but sometimes mistakes seem to be made through pure carelessness on the part of the producers. just my opinion anyway.

tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I thought it was fun rubbish tbh. Hollywood all the way. The plot holes were awful. Everything was so convieniently layed out for them. Switch off your brain and enjoy.

It's sad to say but I noticed that Patrick Stewart has slowed down a bit. I detected a barely noticeable slur in his once clear voice. Maybe it was just me ?

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Okay well half the people are telling me it's shit and some say it's class! So I can only go see it myself, I think i'll like it! I'll let you all know when I see it!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Reaper
    ok mwell half d ppl r tellin me its shít and some say its class! so i can only go see it myself i think ill like it! let u's no wen i see it!

What?

I thought this was this internet, not SMS?

Only go and see it if you're a Trek fan. Even then you'll be disappointed. It's not very original.

Advertisement