Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed !!!

• 18-12-2002 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Just to clarify what i actually did..

850 mhz pc with old 2.5 yr old hd...
    2ghz pc with new hd.. both fully working...

2ghz was virtually bare so i put some cd/dvrws into it also a 60 gig hd..

So i said instead of trying to change all the data from the old 20 gig to the new one i just swapped the hds around.. to try make things much easier..

Few faults.. Booted up ok first time no probs..
    Now theres a miserable squeal out of the speaker at the bottom and looks like its trying to find the info to boot up correctly... then it beeps and starts up normally..

Second prob i have no sound what so ever in the 2ghz.. On the last pc i had no soundcard and had onboard sound.
    New motherboard has (onboard sound) and is checked in auto in bios no sound.. Loaded up the drivers for the motherboard for audio etc.. still no sound.. Strange..

Any help what so ever would be muchly appreciated !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Also forgot to add.. my ud agent.. works like seti its a cancer research program.. reads my cpu as 1.25 gig..
    also sandra the benchmark program as 1.25...
    Did i get robbed or is it a 2ghz really...
    Dont want to open it up ! ??????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh The Apprentice... what cpu have you got? Is it by any chance an AMD 2000+ XP??? If so this is not nor was it ever claimed to be 2ghz... so you did not get robbed. I have a 2100xp and its 1.677 ghz, faster than the 2ghz Intel though.. If it is a 2000XP the clock should be 1.66ghz though... the clock speed of intel and AMD are different so AMD no longer use clock speed to name their CPU.. If its an Intel you have though then yes if it says 2ghz thats what it should be. Also though make sure its not a case you have the speed set wrong in the bios or are using slower mem that what you should be using as this will slow the whole clock speed down.

As for your problems.. look just format... you simply dont put a hard drive from one pc to another and not expect this sort of thing.. especially if the boards are different.. start again from scratch or even if you did fix it you will have other problems. If you have to be stubborn though then try removing the PCI bus from device manager and reboot.. should detect all hardware again.

You never mentioned basics like what OS..... eh again i say format!!

[edit] or at least deltreee windows [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Nice info saruman
    Its supposed to be 2000xp .
    Ud is not picking up as 1.3ghz is that still not right..
    Took ure advise and went back to the new hd had a few probs with modems and sound etc also with the transfer of data but not seems to be chuggin away nicely...

thanks m8. :)

Also win 98 se

Advertisement