Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6210

• 18-12-2002 11:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question. Is it possible to connect to the internet with the 6210 on Irish networks? If it is possible what is required to set it up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Yes, it is possible.
    Do you mean to use it for WAP or as a modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Just a quick question. Is it possible to connect to the internet with the 6210 on Irish networks? If it is possible what is required to set it up?
    Thanks

well i'm guess'n from saying internet you mean full internet access and as such there are 2 routes you can use :
    1) Cable connection to pc or laptop
    2) IRDA connection to pc or (more likely) laptop

either one you can install drivers supplied by nokia to use the 6210 as just another modem to connect to the internet using your normal isp or one from your service provider which might provide a number on your network for connection. i.e. 087 dialup number if you were on vodafone etc......

gprs is not possible and as previously stated you can connect via wap.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I was interested in using the 6210 as a modem not for wap. The phone was picked up immediatly by w2k as a modem on my laptop when I placed it beside the IrDA. What settings do I need to adjust on the phone itself in order to get it to work with an ISP like Eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you are on Vodafone you can use their High Speed Data service (HSCSD) to get up to 43.2kbps

if you are on O2 you can use their Data service to get 14.4kbps

contact your the operator to set-up / configur this service - Vodafone Data Support 1850 287 000, O2 Internet/WAP support 1740

all the Modem software drivers and User Guides are available on the Nokia site here:
    http://www.nokia.com/cda1/0,1080,1499,00.html

you set up the 6210 modem and use when configuring a a Dial Up Networking connection to you preferred ISP

there Vodafone and O2 both have their own Moblie ISP services if you want to take advantage of any inclusive minutes with a call to an 087 or 086 number

HTH,
    Brian G

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

If your using infrared all you have to do is activate the IR port in the menu, and then dial-up on the PC using that modem.

Just out of interest if you're using Vodafone as your network you have downloaded the Mobile ISP "Connect Me" software from Vodafone haven't you? If you haven't you really should do it as it will give you cheaper calls to the internet, with the software they will cost the same an 087 to 087 call.

Also another advantage of using Vodafone is the HSCSD (High Speed Circuit Switched Data), which means you can get speeds the same as (if not better than) dial-up, 38kbps is my normal connection speed using Vodafone. But to use this you HAVE to install the modem from the Nokia CD. The modem Win2000 installs is just a basic GSM modem with a maximum speed of 9.6kbps.

When you install the modem you should have a "Nokia Modem Options" in the control panel where you can select your IR modem (or cable) move the slider up to 43.2kbps and set the connection method to ISDN V.110.

Oh yeh silly me before you do any high speed stuff you need to activate your SIM for high speed, there's no charge, just email them with your number.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i used my 6210 as my main modem for a few months (i really dont know why) using the cable connection. went fine (really slow obviousily and really expensive) but id never do it again

/me hugs the cable modem

dw

Advertisement