Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old RS6000

Options
  • 18-12-2002 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I have an old RS6000 G40 sitting doing nothing, it was replaced by a new server 2yrs ago.
    Is it worth anything?
    Can the memory be used in ordinary PC's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

im not sure possiablly not! Its worth more than some òl menory though i would think, hell i`ll give you some ordinary memory as a swap for it! I`ll give you more info tomorrow on the thing as i work on those things, well sorta!
    I work on their storage cussions AS400`s but id still say its a serious machine! Not much as a PC as it would be running AIX v4.3.3 ( Or possiablly older ) a risc OS! Not easy to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

How much u looking for? I've a few bits and pieces of H/W for a swap maybe? We support 4 of them in work. Wouldn't mind one at home for messing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

post what are you looking for in a trade, I'm interested as well :)

the ram in the RS6K would probably be slow speed sdram or ddr with ecc registered - not something you would want in a desktop PC

OK i Did my research on the thingy!
    The ram can not be used in a normal PC as its ECC ram!

It was withdrawn in 1996 and there fore i couldent even get a pic of it. The minuum spec they shiped with is as follows!

Cpu 112 Mhz
    Ram 64meg ECC
    2.2 gig HD
    A system guard processor ( What ever that is...)
    And OS is AIX 4.1.4 with PTF and 4.2 support.

Im intrested my self would be a little pet project my self.
    Let the bidding war begin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

If you didn't like the cut of AIX, you could always put Linux or NT4 (service pack 2) on it. Better get those ARC disks ready.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    OK i Did my research on the thingy!
    The ram can not be used in a normal PC as its ECC ram!
    Ummm. ECC RAM isn't a problem. I use it in my own Athlon box. A lot of desktop boards can't use the ECCness of such DIMMs, but most will simply ignore the extra bits. What you really need to find out is whether it's a standard FPM, EDO, SDRAM DIMM, or something else again. I suspect it's the latter. If not, my next bet would be on FPM or EDO - and you'd want to know if it's 3.3V or 5V. You're very fortunate and it's SDRAM, odds are it will be at most PC66. Whatever flavour of RAM it is, it's probably registered (AKA buffered) - some (many?) current desktop boards will refuse to use it on that basis.

Well my board wont take ecc ram as i have tried it. My system still worked and itt did drop the ram to pc 100. I tried it in a gateway pc with an Oxnard Board, in my bord and elite K7s5a, and a mate of mine tred it out in his system, I dont now what boad he has!

Of and i did a bit more checking and my info i have was a bit wrong the g40 was released in not 96 not withdrawn in 96! Im not sure when it was with drawn. It replaced the g30!

I can scan in some sec sheets i got in ork if anyone is intrested i`ll mail them to ya rather that post them up here, in case big brother seen what im doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Anything happening with this thread???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I can move this thread to the For Sale board if requested

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    I can scan in some spec sheets i got in work if anyone is intrested. I'll mail them to ya rather that post them up here, in case big brother seen what I'm doing!

/me looks over shoulder

• Advertisement
Advertisement