Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelic

Options
  • 19-12-2002 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hello people!

is there someone who knows to speak gaelic? Someone who could help me to get more informations about irish language and culture? :confused: I'm a 22 years old girl from austria, my grandparents came from ireland, but they died some years ago, and it's really difficult to get informations. I want to go back to ireland in some years. But I need some contacts, about working, living, going out, language, people, and so on. Please help me!

Thank you so much!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

If you are coming to Ireland to live for a while, you will not not need to know how to speak Gaelic as 99.9% of us speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sanctuary

sure, i know. but i wanted to learn gaeilge because of my grandparents. they loved the traditions. i am very interested in this language, thats it. i am also interested in the celtic culture...

know what i mean?

so if you know something to help me to get more informations, please contact me

thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just for the language, we have the Gaeilge board.

For your other queries, there are the Work, Humanities and AfterHours boards. That's obviously just what's available here - some of those boards also may have useful links to other information (and there's always google)

(edited link - thanks Bard)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sceptre... you linked the Newbie FAQ board there, not the Gaeilge one.

The Gaeilge (Irish) board is here.

Mmmm'kay ? :)

Welcome sanctuary...!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Irish culture is similar but not the same as British culture. We have our own differences and peculiarites. You will see much of it here on boards.ie (but not all).

Most people here learn Irish in school, so things aren't really set up for adults to learn Irish, but I imagine there are places you can learn. There is an Irish-Austrian society of some kind, perhaps they can help. Ask for them at the embassy in Vienna.

See also http://www.gov.ie/iveagh/services/toireland/default.asp

If your grandparents are Irish, you are entitled to an Irish passport (you would need to provide documentation), but assuming you are an Austrian citizen, you can visit / stay here with the minimum of formalities anyway.

• Advertisement

I will have a look. Maybe its not so difficult to learn this language... If I find the right teacher. so I will see. its not impossible...

thanx for your informations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

i found it unbelieveably hard to speak Gaelige and had to quit it and try french instead. But you could always try to go to a Gaeltacht theres loads of them, i don't know if they accept 22 yr olds though as the only people who i know go to them are from 13-18 yrs old but you could always try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

there are 3 dialects, north west south.

the difference between north and west is about the same as Austrian and Swabian German

There is no Hoch-Irisch to make things easier for you.

Most learning support and free course material is for the West dialect which is the most widely spoken......west of Galway mainly.

where were your grandparents from?

M

my grand parents came from galway, but they went to germany when they were married. my father was born in germany, and me too, but i live in austria since 1981. my parents are divorced, so i have not so much contact with my father except some letters... and he' not interested in ireland. and i don't want to read only books about ireland... maybe you can understand now why i'm trying to get informations here.
    thanx for your replies!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

NUI Galway have a very open system including scholarships for those wishing to learn Irish. You must first show some interest and aptitude for the language.

I trust that you have none, therefore you would be best off wih the Micheál O'Siadhal course for starters.

If you were doing OK with it you could then try NUIG for one of their residential scholarships in An Cheathrú Rua (Carraroe) west of Galway.

Irish grammar is like German grammar, VERY complete. The pronounciation of Galway Irish is VERY VERY like southern German , Bayerisch zum beispiel, without the umlaut sounds.

Contact these people,Foras na Gaeilge , and they will tell you where to obtain the O'Siadhal Course, and whether there are any courses in Austria.

If you have problems feel free to PM me.

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement