Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV - Big Brother in Cork

Options
  • 19-12-2002 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

All those cameras in Cork City. Anyone got a map of where they are ?

I was just looking at a map someone made of New York showing all CCTV camera locations. I think theres an online app out there that will allow you to input your present location and destination and it will map out a route for you that will avoid all the cameras. Might be an idea for Cork.

I'm not trying to hide anything or am worried to be on camera but I do have a slight "fight the powah" attitude and it would be good to have a map of cctv free areas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Coming from Manchester, which is one of the most CCTV saturated cities in the UK I agree and disagree with this.

I agree insomuch as I don't like the though of some doughnut-eating controller laughing at me because I trip or step in dog crap. There's no doubt it's an invasion of privacy (and yes, privacy is possible even in public).

However, should CCTV blindspots be made public, you can be fairly certain these areas will attract the less desirable elements of society.

At the end of the day I'd rather be filmed picking my nose than take a four man pounding because I looked at some dude's 14 year old girlfriend 'the wrong way'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by yellum
    All those cameras in Cork City. Anyone got a map of where they are ?

Right, thats my christmas activities sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

As well as my views above I also think it would be cool to have these cameras broadcast on local tv. I bet it will be the most popular channel on television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Now that would be sweet. Can't see it happening though. Could be useful for filling in the 'what the hell did I get up to last night' blanks the morning after.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Darth Henry

yeah and you could see what the traffic is like and howw many peole are doing christmas shopping.

you could even follow people around town from the comfort of your own sitting room if you could switch between cameras ala sky digital!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They did a program like that on RTE 2 or 3 weeks ago. It got quite a good viewing.
    I remember before someone was showing me a website where you could view the dublin CCTV cameras. Don't know the address though, it doesn't come up on google. They probably took it down ages ago.

Yeah I had thought of that and that would definetly go into stalking mode. There'd also have to be some switchover to another camera if one of the cameras starting zooming in on someone, so that person wouldn't sue for the implication that they were a suspect or up to no good.

Originally posted by k.oriordan

I remember before someone was showing me a website where you could view the dublin CCTV cameras. Don't know the address though, it doesn't come up on google. They probably took it down ages ago.

That was the Dublin Corpo Traffic cam thing I believe. It was on their site afaik.

Might be an interesting application to use for CorkWAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Mapping the CCTV cams in the city centre seems like a good thing to do to waste my time during summer. In fact I shall do it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Originally posted by yellum
    As well as my views above I also think it would be cool to have these cameras broadcast on local tv. I bet it will be the most popular channel on television.
    There was something kinda similar when I lived out in the country a few years ago.
    Somehow our aerial could pick up the signal from a security camera in some farm in the area.
    It made great viewing, cows and stuff. Even saw a dog once.

I'm fairly sure that I watched that far more then RTE too.

Seems the Dept Of Justice will give a community 100k to add CCTV to their area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    100k wouldn't go very far in any reasonably sized community. It must also pay for the monitoring of them, which I presume would be quite expensive

Its up to the community to monitor them. I don't think the grant is to pay for the monitoring, just the establishment of the CCTV network. Local business and community groups would pay for the monitoring and upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

A map of cctv footage in Cork isn't too hard to do, in fact I think this sould be a new project of mine.

Anyone want to start listing cctv camera locations ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement