Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goldfish

Options
  • 19-12-2002 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

my goldfish is over 2 years old. is this good?or can they live far longer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I wouldn't know cos my da always managed to kill ours by tappin on the glass to get them to eat.......muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

the whole short memory span thing really intrigues(sad i know).

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

the whole short memory span thing really intrigues
    I heard that this idea was just invented by a salesman when people were afraid that keeping the fish in such a small bowl was cruel. He told them that they had a short memory span so they never got bored.
    No idea if this is true or not but it's interesting enough.

"Is this on the telly now?"
    "No it was recorded on BASF home video last night"
    "AAA is this on the telly now?"
    "AAA is this on the telly now?"

Priceless example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah i was thinking this meself

i have 4 goldfish that have been alive for at least 2 if not 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

It is normal if you look after them I have had 5 goldfish now for 3.5 years there in a pond and there fine so dont worry and just make sure you feed them and change te water so they arnt eatng ther own s**t

I heard they grow to fit there tank eg small in a bowl, big in a pond.
    So if that theory is correct wouldn't that mean if you through a few baby ones into the sea they'd end up as big as whales!:D :D:D:D

such possibilities................................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

2 years!!
    That is fantastic.. Most goldfish are nearer to the 2 week mark before they go to the big white coffin with the swirly water :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

A goldfish is a type of carp.. carp can live to be 40 years old in the wild :o I don't know whether or not that would imply that a pet goldfish would live for a lot longer than 2 years, but mine didn't (I think I overfed them :()

• Advertisement

Tere's a funny thought. An overweight goldfish! Picture it like a Puffa fish or just with a big fat belly. me laugh now:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

When I was a kid we had goldfish that lived for over 9 years (I kid you not). Its strange seens how we rarely washed the bowl, even to the stage where the fish couldnt be seen and fogeting to feed the poor thing was a regular occourance. I think he was the biggest goldfish I have ever seen (appart from Koi carp). Maybe this is how a fish should be kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Illkillya
    A goldfish is a type of carp.. carp can live to be 40 years old in the wild :o I don't know whether or not that would imply that a pet goldfish would live for a lot longer than 2 years, but mine didn't (I think I overfed them :()

lol, thought you were dissing goldfish for a second there

time to go home methinks

Originally posted by The Saint
    Its strange seens how we rarely washed the bowl,

i only change the water when it gets very dirty,i don't know much about goldfish but i presume they dont live in clean water naturally so it can't be good fot them being given treated tap water all the time.well thats what i think anyway,it has nothing to do with me being lazy and not changing the water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I had a goldfish for 4 years...his name was bob...

great pets to have as long you have a filter in the tank...makes life a whole lot easier...

I got a tank of fish about 2 years ago. A few weeks later I put in a filter and within a week or two all of the fish were dead. I think it was because the filter was sucking in the fish as well as the water and the fish got tired of struggling in the torrents and gave up the ghost one by one. I now have a fish with no filter and he's fine, for now. I also have two lizards, one of which I reared from a hatchling and she's my pride and joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by The Saint
    I also have two lizards, one of which I reared from a hatchling and she's my pride and joy.

Post some pics Saint...i'd loved to see them!

I havent any pictures at the moment, strange coz I've had her for 2 year already. They are leopard geckos, very cute animals. I'll see if i can dig out any pictures to give you an idea of what they look like.

How do you post pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

(img)http://www.location-of-pic.com/something.jpg(/img)

Replace the () with []

• Advertisement

You mean just put up the URL?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Inbetween the image tags, yes. The image needs to be hosted somewhere. Boards have free space for members too which would come in handy for cases like these.

Check out the Admin> Newbie FAQ section for more help on stuff like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

My sister got 4 goldfish 3 years ago and only two of them are still with us. We have them in a large tank, don't ask me what type they are, they're gold and they're fish.

When the other two died my mum got very upset, we had to have prayers by the toilet!

I think as long as you take care of them, change their water etc, they'll live as long as you want.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

The longest i could keep a goldfish was for six months.......... maybe i'm just unlucky or perhaps i'm a bad mammy!

I think most people overfeed their fish. Thats what happened in most of the cases I have heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Back again! Just wondering, are Goldfish cannibals? My sister cleaned the tank at the weekend and was astonished to discover that one of her fish's tails had become a stub! We have put it down to
    (a) the fish being lazy and the tail falling off or
    (b) the other fish in the tank getting hungry and eating it (he looks a lot fatter!)

Any thoughts??

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by thedrowner

i have 4 goldfish that have been alive for at least 2 if not 3 years

make that 3 now....

Advertisement