Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling Books

• 19-12-2002 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Just finished re-reading the Hogan book and have to say i'm quite impressed. Its pretty good. Not on the level of either Foley book. Have a nic day being one of the best autobiographys i've ever read. Just wondering if anyone else read any of these and what they thought of them. Also if anyone has any read any others that they can recommend.

btw the Rock one sucks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Havent read hogans yet, read most of the big ones, chyna,kurt,mick,rock,goldberg.the wrestling, and a few more.
    Next on the list is 100% Pure Dynamite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

I agree with you kenner the foley books are on the top of the pile of wrestling books but I would put Hogans as second and Angles third. Havent read Chynas but the Rocks is definitly bottom of the pile.

Cyna's actually isnt as bad as you think it would be, some good stuff in there. Id be carefull with hogans book, from what i hear he lies all the way through it, lol at " I never had a problem doing the job" " You have to do the job if your told to" hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

The way he tells it he IS wrestling, and from a certain standpoint he,s right but the wrestling business is not all about one man. He does give props though to a few wrestlers(Andre, Rock, Booker T).
    That said I couldnt put this book down and found it an engrossing read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Hogans book was alright but I still think Foleys Have a Nice day is the best wrestling biography I've ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Foleys books were very good, but he holds back too much. Not enough backstage gossip, which, in fairness lads, is what we want to hear.
    The Rocks book......well...pile of crap: those chapters that were written in character REALLY pissed me off.

Arn Anderson's and Ted Dibiase's books are great reads.

Just about to start Bobby Heenan's- should be good.

I have Chyna and Kurt Angles but haven't had a chance to read them yet. I've started both, but they both start off with the growing up and going to school and family life bull****, which is probably why I get bored quite easily with them.

THE best autobiography EVER is Dynamite Kid's (Tom Billington): 'PURE DYNAMITE'.

Absolutely incredible read. Straight to the point. This man has no reason to lie, and the doesn't hold back. Best wrestler ever in my opinion (ability wise). Tom admits what a "prick" he was and gives all the stories about the Harts, Davey Boy, Japan, Stampede, WWF and drug abuse.
    He doesn't spend chapters explaining his boring high school years and crap family stories that no-body cares about like Foley etc, (like I give a **** about Lacrosse: I didn't even know what it was until I saw 'American Pie'). There really is no bull**** with this book. This is actually my favourite book. Read the reviews on amazon too:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953709701/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-7633715-8887028

GET THIS BOOK NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

it wasnta bad read - the thing you could start and finish in an evening - light stuff but there is a hell of a lot of rewriting of history and a few errors - i would put this down to the ghost writer - the one thing that annoyed me from time to time was the styles- there are sections in the book which seem to be basically hogan ad verbum but others that are so obviously concocted by the writer and he tries to write like hogan speaks in an eighties promo - you wonder wether he knew the guy at all or he just met him for a couple of hours - it is so obviously not hagan and then at the end - as ifd to add authenticity to it he sticks in 'brother' - as if to make it seem as it came from the horses mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

Hogans book was between terrible and okay. Lot of lies etc. He was going on about stuff that was a waste of time.

Foleys- Prefered the first one to be honest

Rock- Wasn't bad but read it straight after reading Foleys first one so no chance of being number 1.

The Wrestling - It was a nice read to learn more about british wrestling.

The complete idots guide to pro wrestling- I just read to see what it was like. Okay not bad

I plan to read in the next two months, Sex, Lies and Headlocks, Goldbergs and Chynas and a few more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Angles book was good.

That is to say that the stuff about his family and amateur wrestling career was very interesting. The chapters after he joins the WWF feel and read like filler material and are incredibly boring. They lack any true depth about what goes on in the pro wrestling world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

not a book but just wanted to say that i got wrestling with shadows the other week and was very impressed so wanted to recommend it, but wouldve liked to see more of bret in wcw.

as an aside is there anywhere in dublin u can buy wcw videos.......i never really watched it back then but now id love to see more of the nwo stuff and generally get an overview of wcw back then.

• Advertisement

You should check out The 3Count Newsletter it is going to have a feature on where to get your wrestling fix.
    But you can get some Wcw in Templecom on the quays

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

cheers bombidol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

got lawlers ghost written bio - half way through - it superb - really good read and not a lightweight effort like most wwe books as good as foleys first (less jokes/humour but a better read)- cant give full reaction till im finished (and wwe books have a tendency to go to **** when they get to the wwe as they turn into a catalogue of storylines which we all know) but is shaping up to be a cracker

Advertisement