Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any1 help with booting win98

• 19-12-2002 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

heres me problem...a couple of weeks ago my little brother thought hed b gr8 and delete some files in order to save space..heres the thing he deleted some master files in which when i startup my comp i get sent straight into dos mode saying.....unable to start windows missing WIN.COM file.......so i try boot it with a cd-rom win98 startup.....and he somehow deleted the C: driver as its not reading the C: now......so i then to proceed to download a few boot disks off the internet an when i boot them i either get a message sayin....NON SYSTEM DISK or THIS PROGRAM CANNOT B RUN IN DOS MODE.......so im stuck for ideas at the moment any1 can help id appreciate it....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

dude did he delete the C: drive or the CD driver??
    I thought you told me it was the cd ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

prolly best to get this moved over to ms/apps forum for abit more attention :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

By the sound of it your machine is still trying to boot A: C: D: (in that order). Have a look in your Bios settings and you should be able(if the pc's not ancient) to set your CD as a boot device prior to your hard disk. This will allow you to boot from the Win98 CD and re-install/repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Try the following link on dell's, site it gives you a utility that will make a bootable floppy with CD rom drivers, boot to this then do an over the top install of windows from your CD. http://support.euro.dell.com/ie/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R19775

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ali.g

i tried differentiating the bios settings but its physically not reading the d: for cd-rom......i think i may go to an expert on this one nothin seems to be working

• Advertisement
Advertisement