Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband router help needed

Options
  • 19-12-2002 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Hello. I've just got broadband (from the lovely people at www.irishbroadband.ie) today and am trying to set up a software router.
    At the moment I have 4 computers connected to an ethernet hub - works fine.
    I can't figure out how to connect the broadband modem to it all (the modem has an ethernet connection).
    The broadband works fine when connected directly to one computer, but if i connect it to the hub it dosnt work(even if there is only one other computer connected). Should it?
    Would I have to get a second ethernet card on one of the computers to get it working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Do you have to use some sort of software to connect via the modem or is it a router?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

No software needed. I just connect it to the ethernet port and put in the necessary tcp/ip info.

It should then be just a matter of setting the router's IP as the default gateway on the client machines.
    Can they ping the router etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

You will need a router that does NAT (network address translation). One end goes into the IBB modem and the other end goes into hub. If the IBB modem also operates as a NAT router then you won't need a separate router.

That too, forgot about that :)

• Advertisement

You will need a router that does NAT (network address translation). One end goes into the IBB modem and the other end goes into hub. If the IBB modem also operates as a NAT router then you won't need a separate router.

The alternative (as mentioned) is to put an extra card into one computer and connect it up to the hub.

Should I be able to connect the modem to the hub and connect only one computer to the hub and expect it to work with the same settings as if the computer was connected directly to the modem? it dosn't seem to.

Can you ping the modem?

No, I dont think so.
    The modem's ip isnt in my tcp/ip settings, if thats any help...

Does the modem have a private IP assigned to it?
    What are the TCP/IP settings you're using on the client machine that works?

• Advertisement

I have my IP put in:62.221.16.x
    subnet mask:255.255.255.192
    Gateway (it is called Router on my computer):62.221.16.65
    and two dns server addresses.
    The modem has an address too: 10.100.1.x

If you only have one public IP address from them (and the router can do nat), you'll need to specify a private IP on each computer in that range and use 10.100.1.x as the gateway.
    Did you get more than one static IP from them?

Yes, only one.

I think the first step should be to get onw computer working through the hub - without using a softrouter.

Should I have to change my settings to do that?

If the router can do nat, give the clients IPs of 10.100.1.10/11/12/13 or whatever you want and give them the IP of the modem as the gateway address, make sure they're on the same subnet.
    Specify the DNS addresses that you have.
    Then see if you can ping the modem/other pcs.
    If you can, try pinging something on the net.
    It's possible the modem isn't going to do nat, so if that's the case you'll need to stick in another network card and then share out the connection via Wingate or something.

Ok, I've got it hooked through the hub to one computer(haven't brought a router into it yet) by using the 'uplink' port on the hub.
    I think I should be able to get it sorted now, it'll ust take a while:)

Thanks for your help so far.

but I cheated! :) Got a Belkin hardware router (€84).

Originally posted by Mr. Flibble
    but I cheated! :) Got a Belkin hardware router (€84).

No NAT on the modem then?

Nope, not as far as I can tell.
    No manual or anything with it - just a little white box.
    All 4 computers are buzzing away happily now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

The root cause sounds like a straight-through versus cross-over ethernet cable issue.

Is the hub uplink port just a crossedover port? I tried connecting the modem both to it and to the normal port and it didn't help.

• Advertisement

Without a the proper router (either within the modem or otherwise), you can't share a single IP across multiple computers because there is no means to direct the incoming packets to the appropriate computers.

Thats a bit skepitcal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

dlink 504 router
    very cheap
    it has isdn/adsl modem in 1 as well as 4 port switch and uplink port

Advertisement