Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aids test.

• 19-12-2002 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

If your sexually active when was your your check up at the gum clinic?

If not at all why not?
    I spent years agonising over it untill one day It had to happen due to an assault on me one night where I got bitten by a rather unsavory charachter.
    The relief of an all clear is unbelievable. Concidering my rather checkered past I was sweating a bit.
    STD's are on the rise and we don't have the severe paranoia of the 80's teaching us to wear rubber when holding hands.

KEEP IT WASHED.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hmm, I like to pride myself on cleanliness... next to... the great tourtise underneath the world .....

But, umm, saliva is not a medium that HIV can be communicated through, so, the person who bit you would have had to have had 'bleeding gums' maybe before any possibility of this particular communicable disease would be entertained.

Get a rabies test though, some of the Southsiders are know to be rabid Federalists after all.

*bwhahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

Humm.. theres typedef thinking that HIV is the only STD... :) Theres like a billion of em, all out to get you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Isn't it dangerous (financially) getting an aids test? I remember a letter coming into my work place with respect to Hepatitis, warning us of risks etc. But also warning us that this test is documented, and if you're looking for a mortgage, house insurance, or especially life assurance, you may be refused. Not on account of you having contracted the disease, rather the fact that you've taken the test for it, REGARDLESS of the results.

They gave a list of diseases which,having a test for them, would have such an affect on your life, and HIV was one of them.

I presume , if you don't want those financial risks/refusal of life assurance/increased premiums etc, that you can donate blood.
    It is tested isn't it?
    And I presume, that you are coldly informed if you test positive?
    Or at the very least, you are turned away , the next time you want to donate.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

tbh I don’t think ya can donate blood :/ I think the theory behind all of it is you're deemed at high risk if you feel it necessary to have such a test....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by kamobe
    Isn't it dangerous (financially) getting an aids test? I remember a letter coming into my work place with respect to Hepatitis, warning us of risks etc. But also warning us that this test is documented, and if you're looking for a mortgage, house insurance, or especially life assurance, you may be refused. Not on account of you having contracted the disease, rather the fact that you've taken the test for it, REGARDLESS of the results.

They gave a list of diseases which,having a test for them, would have such an affect on your life, and HIV was one of them.

If you go to your GP and he arranges for the test then the results will go to him an they will be on file. when you seek life insurance you will grant the insurance company full rights of access to your GP's records, thereby givig them access to both the fact that you had a test/s and also to the results.

If you go directly to a STD clinic the records are confidential and will not be disclosed.

You will still be obliged to truthfully answer the question on the insurance company form "Have you ever been tested for ...."

Bottom line - if you are worried about the possibility of being infected with *any* STD ...... go and get tested .... you owe it to yourself and to your partner/s

Advertisement